Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a question I'm hoping some of you guys (or girls) might be able to answer. I'm a fan of the mid to late 80's sportbikes. I'm going to be uying a bike shortly and here are some of the bikes I'm curious about.

1985-88 Ninja 600r
1987-89 Honda Hurricaine
1984-86 Honda VF500 Interceptor
1986-88 Yamaha FZ600
1989-90 Yamaha FZR600

Does anyone have any suggestions? The reason I'm into the old bikes is because I wanted them then and so now that I'm in a position to buy I want to try and pick one up.

If anyone knows what I should look out for please let me know.

Thanks a million!

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
I had a 89 Hurricane.. CBR :)

Loved it.. great learning bike

Ninja 600r liked it back when they had the commercials :).. but so much has changed now the bike isnt worth it anymore.

FZR600.. oldie but goodie.. hasnt changed.. good beginner bike.. but with high miles from being such a old one.. might not be worth it.. sealed bearings in the motor wear fast at high RPMS and the motor is then worthless junk.

Just some info from what i have gone through

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Seriously you can't replace the engine bearings??? Are you talking about the crank bearings?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a 90 CBR 600F which is the same as a hurricane but with larger carbs (and other minor tweaks). That'd be my pick of the group. I wish I still had mine.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
I'd love the first gen GSXR750 or 1100, or VFR750F? r/w/b one......:drool

·
Registered
558 Posts
I like the white/pearl colored VFR's

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
Seriously you can't replace the engine bearings??? Are you talking about the crank bearings?
yeah the crank bearings where warn.. yes you can replace them but it isnt worth all the work..

On a FZR.. its better to get rid of it and get something else :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I own two FZR600s and love them. Crank bearings aren't hard to replace. About $50 for a new set. The labor is the killer and you'll spend a good amount of time in teardown and rebuild to get the engine back together. It can be done with a garage and time. I'd never pay a dealer to do it. A used FZR engine costs less than the labor alone.

As to the bike list...

1985-88 Ninja 600r

Not bad. You can see where the Ninja 250 got its looks. :) Downside is that tubular steel frame is fairly weak for the power being applied to it. Frame failure is a potential problem in the old Ninjas. Make sure the frame is not bent and has no cracks evident at the weld points. Frame will flex under stress but most riders won't notice. There are better bikes in this age bracket.

1987-89 Honda Hurricaine

Ah, the classic CBR. Great machines. They have a bit of a cult following now and good condition examples are a great value.

1984-86 Honda VF500 Interceptor

Incredible 500cc machine. Downside is these bikes do have a cult following and like the FZR400, examples in good condition are very difficult to find. The early V4 engines are also prone to developing valve problems later in life if they weren't properly maintained. Reportedly, uncared for, the engine will chew up valves before it hits 30K miles. The V4s are very sweet engines but are the worst maintenance pigs you will ever encounter. If the bike hasn't been kept up, you can be in for a world of problems and parts are getting hard to come by. I'd say pass on one unless you find a good source of spares first and you are a real enthusiast. Like the FZR400, once you get a VFR500, keep it forever. It usually isn't worth it otherwise and it is a shame to ride such a nice bike into the ground.

1986-88 Yamaha FZ600

Comparable to the Hurricane but down on power. Fairly weak bike but an ok machine. Not many examples out there and parts are tough to get.

1989-90 Yamaha FZR600 (also include the 1991-1997 models)

Arguably the best of the bunch. I have two of them, so I'm biased. :) The longest production run of all the late 80s era sportbikes and the most modern of them. Power increased steadily from 1989 and levelled off on the 1994 and later models. Parts are plentiful and easy to come by. Thousands of FZRs were imported and the bike was relatively unchanged in its life. In many ways, it can be considered the Ninja 250 of the 600cc world.

Only things to look out for are the 1989 models having the narrower rear wheel over the 1990 and onward models (3.5 inch rim vs. 4 inch rim) and it used 2 piston instead of 4 piston calipers found on the 1990 on models. The 1991-1992 FZRs have a different upper fairing to accomodate a single headlight instead of the "cat's eyes" found on the earlier models. Otherwise identical to the 1990 model. So upset were the FZR owners that Yamaha switched back to the twin headlights on the 1993 model and it kept it to the end of the production run in 1998. The 1997 models were identical to the 1994 models and mostly the same as the 1990 model.

You can't go wrong with an FZR600. May not be the sexiest bike out there or the most powerful, but for a sportbike they are comfortable rides, cheap as hell and will do anything a street rider will ask of them. Weaknesses are a weak clutch and transmission. Whining and grinding are not uncommon in low gears on FZRs. They do not take to clutch abuse well (doing wheelies on an FZR is a sure fire way to kill it). As long as it doesn't pop out of 2nd gear at speed, the bike is usually fine.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I love my Hawk, but it's not a sportbike so to speak...my favorite bike of that era is the 1986 GSX-R750. I might have been 3 when it was introduced, but that is a classic bike.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Neverlose said:
I like the white/pearl colored VFR's

+1.................. what a sweet bike.... only all white bike that didn't look like ass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys!

linuxbikr, thanks for the info. What about the 1988-96 Ninja 600r? I read there aere some inprovements. I want a bike that I will be able to tour on (by that I mean spending a few 3-4 hours on) and I read they were comfy. If not what does anyone have any other suggestions that I may be overlooking?

The NT650 Hawk is awesome but quite pricy here in canada.

thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
19 Posts
vf500 interceptor

My first bike is a vf500f '85. I still have it and still ride it occasionally. It has been very reliable. I thought it was fast when I got it however my 954 has spoiled my power opinion of everything I ride now. But I still love it and would recommend one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had an 89 Ninja 600 and a 85 gpz 550.

I would step up a year and get you a 91 f2 if you want an older bike.

But my all time fav older bike is prolly the 91-95 zx7 series.They looked AWESOME in race trim...

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Only 80's bike that mattered (kidding)

1984 Kawasaki 750 Turbo

If you wanted an older bike, any of the 80's GPz's would be an idea. Look similar to this one.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Im 16 and looking at the 1987 honda hurricane 600f

Hi
I am buying my first bike in the next week and made a deal with a guy about a 87 hurricane 600cc.
What you guys think of that bike?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts