Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I rode for a full eight hours, minus pit stops, and covered just under 400 miles. Rode my little FZ through Cheaha mountain, B'Ham city traffic, I-85 and a couple hundred miles of backroads and twisties. It did everything just great. The friend I was riding with was on a Honda ST1100 and he is a very experienced rider. I kept up with him in every part of the ride and actually had to pull up on the tight stuff. I am very pleased with this bike. It really is a DO everything bike. My butt was a little worn but I think a lot has to do with the heat and sweat more than the seat or bike itself. Anyway I just thought I would share. I have been a die hard offroad rider all my life but I am really getting into this Fz6. :cheers

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I had an FZ6, and I must agree, that bike can do just about anything.

The R6 powerplant is very capable, but add the comfort of nice ergos and the assurance of a fuel gauge to go the extra mile, I'm not surprised it can do 400-mile adventures.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
fox426,

Reads like a great trip.

I did two similar trips over the last week, and I am still learning about trip planning (when to stop, for how long, how long in the saddle, max miles per day).

Can you post how long each segment was, how long to rest, etc?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skeleton, Honestly for me stopping for at least 5-10 minutes every hour to hour and half can keep me riding for a good 8-10 hours. That would include at least on one sit down meal break. The ride I described was in 94 deg. heat with a heat index of 102. Next time I will probably wear my camel-bak. Some type of riding shorts or Under Armour line is much better than cotton. In the heat, plus I am 6'2, the fluid,stretch breaks were welcome.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
At 102 you might as well just keep the nozzle in your mouth the whole time. I tried half freezing mine before a ride last week. It was heavenly to get some cold water after a few pulls of warm plastic tasting water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Karst, Here's a trick with the CB; after you drink blow back in the tube and you won,t get that first warm swallow after each drink.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Eww. I try to keep the bag really clean by NOT doing that stuff. But I guess it might work if I just pinch the mouthpiece and let the water drain.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Afraid of your own spit?:eek:nfloor You swallow everytime!
Umm I don't think that came out right..
OK, I'm outta heah, too.:lao

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
You can drink backwash if you want. I think it's gross, and once those bags get nasty, you might as well buy a new one. :rolleyes

Anyway, my plans for a trip to Banff at the end of August are proceeding. Still haven't figured out the luggage. I think a 42L GIVI plus Cortech saddlebags. Maybe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts