Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is still in the break-in mode, only 350 miles, but, bike runs really well until I get to 7000 RPM, then it seems to fall on its face. Does it have any more or is it just my bike. I,ve not had it over 7000 RPM yet so I don't know what is up there, if anything. Red line is 14000, will it get there? I even have the faster SILVER one!! What's going on??

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just took mine past the 1000 mi break in, so felt safe going to 10k rpm in 3d gear. That was at about 93mph measured - and got there pretty fast. Kind of makes me wonder what 4th 5th and 6th gears are for...... :) I've been told it'll do 100mph in 3d before it redlines. Sounds like you might have a problem. What gear are you in and how fast are you going at 7000rpm?

·
Registered
30 Posts
7000rpm flat spot

They all do that, sir.

But don't despair. It gets better after the break in. I think it's a combination of the bike breaking in, with the power throughout the range improving and your riding technique changing to take account of it. When you finish the break in and start to explore the upper reaches of the rev band, you'll be quite happy. Believe me.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
She'll do 88mph in 2 at redline. trust me i already found that out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't worry. Above 9-10K and if freakin screams. You'll see......:)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Seriously, there is truth to the 'flat' spot in the powerband and on an open throttle acceleration you can really feel the powerband in the bike. You can even feel the falloff after 12k. But I have to say, once past break in and you hit 8k, hang on tight! This bike pulls crazy hard in the upper rpms. Sometimes it scares the piss outta me cause I'm not ready for it. I have to say the low rpms are great for cruising around town thru traffic, and the high rpms are for the real rush. You ask will it get to 14K? Find an empty deserted road (after break in), start from a complete stop and pin the throttle running every gear up to atleast 12k before shifting. Make sure you lean forward to keep the front end down. Your question will be answered with an exclamation point. You will find 60 in 1st, 85 in 2nd, 110 in 3rd, and thats about as far as I have topped the gearing. I've hit an indicated 137 in 6th but not topped out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool.......Can't wait to get 1K on the clock so I can check it out.......Thanks for the input guys. It seems like it is running better evey day now at the lower RPM's. (more torque) It now has just over 400 miles. By the way....... Does anyone know where I can get the info on how to do the headlight mod????

·
Registered
29 Posts
At 350 miles you should be able to wind it out in the higher RPMs in 1st or 2nd, but double shift to bring the RPMs back down. Variation is good (and fun!). Just don't sit in the high RPMs for more than 5 seconds give or take (no high RPMs for "extended periods", per the manual). Its a freakin blast. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mind you, the break-in procedure suggests not to exceed 7k for prolonged periods of time. Open her up every now and again, clear out the carbon, she'll love you for it :D.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hey guys talking bout redline and all i might have once missed a gear and shot up to that forbidden territory, do any of you know if this bike has a rev limiter or cut off at redline like my car does?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, there's a cutoff. I think it's in the high 13's, not quite 14k. You'll definitely notice it when you hit it while accelerating.

·
Registered
205 Posts
dbuchanan said:
Oh yeah...there's a rev limiter!

Hit 13,700 last night in 5th gear 147mph (GPS) 155mph speedo,(haven't installed the speedo healer yet) clicked it into 6th and it did not climb anymore, it would seem as though 6th is more of an overdrive.

Not sure if it hit the rev limiter or if the PC111usb moves it or removes it.

Although I was also running out of straight safe road and hadn't tucked in at all.

With the Laser Extremes, Power Commander and the BMC gauze filter she pulls cleanly and rapidly with no flat spots from 3dr gear and 4000rpm all the way to the top.

If you think this bike has no mid range, you may need to sling a leg over mine as my buddy with a 2002 TL1000S was very impressed with it last night.

Skippy

·
Registered
193 Posts
seriously now, up until about 400 miles or so my bike felt like yours and i wondered the same thing, then all of a sudden one day it went over 8000 and I almost puked from the power, I was not ready for it. If I haden't been holding on for dear life....
Even now the higher RPMs(over10000) scare the Cr### out of me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I see a Powercommander in my future to (hopefully) help fill in that 7000RPM trough. I agree with everyone else here; once past 7000RPM, it's quite a rocket ride!

·
Registered
159 Posts
virtualt said:
...clicked it into 6th and it did not climb anymore, it would seem as though 6th is more of an overdrive.

Although I was also running out of straight safe road and hadn't tucked in at all.
I haven't installed aftermarket pipes, air cleaner, or PC, but (on a straight, clean, very lightly trafficked local road outside of town) I can run to 135mph (~12k RPM) in 5th then grab 6th and notice a pull in 6th gear, and it's a moderate uphill grade. The few times I've done this, I've been fully tucked. Perhaps one's size has an affect as well? I'd say I'm medium, 5'10" 155lb 32" inseam.

Also, I was experimenting last weekend and noticed a 4-5mph gain in 4th gear in the 90mph range between riding tucked and sitting up, wearing a rather bulky textile jacket.

+2cents

·
Registered
858 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts