Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Geez I'd love to ride that baby! Next question is how much is it going to cost?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
freetors
640 Posts
So it looks like an expensive track day toy. It's not legal in any race class and the high price and ridiculous fuel mileage would make you not want to ride it on the street. Looks fun though!

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Don't know why a rotary would burn that much more than a comparable piston engine. Mazda got most of the bugs worked out of that years ago.

I'd think it time for a Wankel resurgence. Improved materials and solid state fuel delivery controls would seem to get around most of the problems of this engine, which can be very lightweight and torquey.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
very hard to have an efficient combusion chamber in a rotary, they have a lot of quench area. this is also part of why the struggle so much with emmisions.

direct injection will help with that, but not certain it will be a cure all for the rotary.

plus, wankels still have edge seals, and that will still have to be addressed.

i still think that wankels have promise in racing, but governing bodies struggle to incoparate them.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
rotory engines are notoriously unreliable. thats why mazda is the only company that uses one. and it's a gas hog for it's size. some inventions are not worth the effort. cool idea is about all it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rotory engines are notoriously unreliable. thats why mazda is the only company that uses one. and it's a gas hog for it's size. some inventions are not worth the effort. cool idea is about all it is.
Nortons Rotary went well and was actually pretty reliable in there road bikes and acheived some success on the track fwiw.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So it looks like an expensive track day toy. It's not legal in any race class and the high price and ridiculous fuel mileage would make you not want to ride it on the street. Looks fun though!
See above,theres still plenty of Norton rotarys clocking up road miles.As for racing do you really think the makers of the rules aka Ducati would ever allow anything on the track that would make them look slow,anyone remember the bullshit they cried when the Britten showed up..which made anything Ducati had look like it was going backwards.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
There are two reasons why rotaries are not mass produced. 1, public perception based on history. 2, macro-enonomic bean counters.

To get it right, you need a lot of r/d, as most scrapped what they had decades ago. It would also increase a lot of liability on "new" technology, as if motorcycles aren't a high risk toy to begin with.

There is no technical and mechanical reason for this as the only real reason that killed it was true only a generation or two ago, when it was very "different", often misunderstood, and the issue with the seals were due to outdated technology and to too many mechanics (back then many if not most bikers were DIYers) being unfamiliar with them.

They've been bulletproof enough in aviation for mazda (fords r and d branch) to bring them back with success.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Its a blessing to motorcycle enthusiasts that this company keeps them alive. Its horrible that we can't even have very small displacements available.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm interested in the cooling system and how they keep exhaust temps down.

Rotaries are gas hogs if you put around but once you go WOT they are about the same as a piston engine. At WOT it probably has the fuel consumption of a GSXR750 and makes the power of a liter bike. They're probably more reliable when pushed hard since they love to rev. Mix a little 2 stroke oil in to keep the seals lubricated and I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the issue is that a streetbike spends a ton of time not WFO.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
The significant difference is that rotaries plain and simply don't like not revving. it's not even that they run poorly, it's that not having a significant amount of throttle being applied is not good for the engine, as far as I know.

you can let a

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You need to run them hard or else carbon deposits will form. You also need to rev them high when just putting around which might burn even more fuel and is obnoxious. Itd be unstopable on the track and impractical on the street.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Don't ask me why.

they can somehow come up with equivalency formulas for turbochargers, but not for rotaries. . .

dafuq?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts