Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my bike..(as mentioned in previous threads, no pics yet though) and was talking with some people who supposedly knows alot about bikes. This is my third bike and my first "super bike". Well, they were telling me that 6th gear on my RC51 is primarily for speeds 100mph and above... are they for real?

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
hahaha, you can be in whatever gear you want when you ride, you just want the RPM range where your motor isn't lugging, and the RC51 and other twins have plenty of torque down low so that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
From my experience with my RC, sixth gear is pretty worthless under 100 mph. I plan on changing the gearing on mine because this bitch is geared WAY too tall.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I'm assuming with stock gearing, like Jake said, 6th gear is redundant. Mine came with a sprocket change so I haven't noticed. I agree with 5niner0. Just ride without it trying to lug at you.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
That's not true. I'm geared 15/41, which is -1/+1, and I use 6th all the time. I'm sure with stock gearing you wouldn't need 6th as much, but I highly recommend the gearing mod. With my gearing, I run about 3800rpm @ 60mph in 6th gear, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Josh D said:
That's not true. I'm geared 15/41, which is -1/+1, and I use 6th all the time. I'm sure with stock gearing you wouldn't need 6th as much, but I highly recommend the gearing mod. With my gearing, I run about 3800rpm @ 60mph in 6th gear, IIRC.
I've found riding in 6th gave me a little better gas mileage.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm... lower rpm's = better gas mileage... makes sense to me.. I think I will try both...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'll cruise in 6th if there is light traffic and I'm on a road with few lights. Definately gives better gas mileage.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
ASharpMind said:
Damn - good info to a potential RC buyer...
Giving up on those four bangers? :joke http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285854

I love the sound of those V-twins at low speed. What a rumble those things make going down the street. There's a guy that rides his; I spot him often at an intersection in town. It sounds sooooo bad ass! Good luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
mikem317 said:
Giving up on those four bangers? :joke http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=285854

I love the sound of those V-twins at low speed. What a rumble those things make going down the street. There's a guy that rides his; I spot him often at an intersection in town. It sounds sooooo bad ass! Good luck!

Well, not really - they are still in the loop - I am just so up in the air on what I want to get. I have ridden the RC before and I liked it - so I figured that I would also think of this one as well...

·
Registered
39 Posts
gashole

V V V said:
I've found riding in 6th gave me a little better gas mileage.
+1

my RC gets *terrible* mileage - so if i want to make it anywhere on a trip, i have to keep it in 6th or else i'm going to get left behind at a gas station or alongside the road by my group. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
when i'm really flogging it, my fuel light comes on around 95 miles. granted, i probably need to re-map my PC, but still . . .

of course . . . when i'm cruising down the highway in 6th, i've gone 145 miles before i saw the light.

it's only a minor inconvenience, though . . . because i'm usually ready to stretch/get off the bike around 115 miles anyway.

if you're thinking about getting one, don't let this dissuade you. i love mine.

my only minor gripes:

- geared a bit too high for 1st gear around town (easy sprocket change)
- on a hot day, it's a calve roaster

·
Registered
241 Posts
roadtripper said:
when i'm really flogging it, my fuel light comes on around 95 miles. granted, i probably need to re-map my PC, but still . . .

of course . . . when i'm cruising down the highway in 6th, i've gone 145 miles before i saw the light.

it's only a minor inconvenience, though . . . because i'm usually ready to stretch/get off the bike around 115 miles anyway.

if you're thinking about getting one, don't let this dissuade you. i love mine.

my only minor gripes:

- geared a bit too high for 1st gear around town (easy sprocket change)
- on a hot day, it's a calve roaster

Bro - thanks for the info - That is good info... I am really leaning towards the RC51 after reading all of the posts here... R1s and 1000RRs are just plain TOO COMMON... I hardly ever see any RCs

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ASharpMind said:
Damn - good info to a potential RC buyer...
V-Twin/RC51 = respect/admiration....... I love my RC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts