Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got experience with both? Though tests show 600RR to be on top my heart is set on a triple.

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Go with your heart then, the 675 is a badass bike. On the street you won't notice THAT much of a performance difference between the two...and most of that is the rider anyways. If you're planning to race it (note, I said race, not track days), the get the 600RR just because of parts.

I've ridden both on the track and they each have their ups and downs. In perfect race form, I like the 675 a little bit better...but I think a lot of that comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
When it comes to choosing between the big 4, I always say to pick the one that is the most comfortable and looks the best (in your opinion). I think they are all so closely mathced that I would never choose a bike A because of performance if bike B looks and feels the best to me (if they are both in the same class).

Now, with the Daytona, I would say the same is true, except pay attention to OEM and aftermarket parts if you want to do stuff to it. They are generally much more expensive.

One plus side, check with your insurance. The daytona may very well be cheaper than the 600RR.

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Now, with the Daytona, I would say the same is true, except pay attention to OEM and aftermarket parts if you want to do stuff to it. They are generally much more expensive.
This is very true with the Daytona 675...although I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless you're planning on racing the bike full time.

There's a few forums out there dedicated to the 675 and parts are pretty easy to come by. You will pay a premium on new parts and availability isn't always spot on...but I rarely had trouble finding something when I needed it, even rare and hard to find bits.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
choosing a bike out of a magazine is like choosing a bike on looks....oh wait.

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I chose these two bikes because they have good midrange and not top heavy like the other 3. I will try to get their test rides this spring. I am fine with not modding them much since I have been there and done that with my FZ6. Also what are the maintenance costs? Though I am a DIY guy, I heard Triumphs cost more to maintain. Is it because of the costly parts?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The triumph will only be higher in maintenance because you'd take it to more expensive euro cycle shops where they can charge higher rates because of the clientel (BMW, Ductai, MV Augusta, etc).

·
Venomous Duck
2,890 Posts
Also what are the maintenance costs? Though I am a DIY guy, I heard Triumphs cost more to maintain. Is it because of the costly parts?
Shop rates are shop rates...Euro only shops are generally a touch more expensive, the place we have in Iowa is the same rate on the Jap bikes as it is the 675. Maintenance will bite you in parts as mentioned above. Otherwise I find 675 to be very easy to maintain and requires nothing more than a Japanese 600 would.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
choosing a bike out of a magazine is like choosing a bike on looks....oh wait.

I agree and disagree.

Someone buying a 600RR as their first bike because they don't like how a 250 looks is stupid.

An experienced rider choosing a Ninja 600 over a GSXR 600 because he loves green is fine. I think most of these bikes are so evenly matched that I would choose based on looks, features, guage layout, comfort, etc over performance figures.

But, that's just my opinion.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
I chose these two bikes because they have good midrange and not top heavy like the other 3. I will try to get their test rides this spring. I am fine with not modding them much since I have been there and done that with my FZ6. Also what are the maintenance costs? Though I am a DIY guy, I heard Triumphs cost more to maintain. Is it because of the costly parts?
No...well maybe IF you get the parts from Triumph...however, for most things there is an equivalent part. My bike has a ZXR rear master cylinder, from brakes off another kawai (I forget) valave shims can usually be traded with other bikes ect.

Do your own wrenching they cost about the same. Same maintenance intervals, same parts a lot of the time (on mine anyway) ect ect. This isn't the 70s Triumph is very much a modern manufacturer.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
I agree and disagree.

Someone buying a 600RR as their first bike because they don't like how a 250 looks is stupid.

An experienced rider choosing a Ninja 600 over a GSXR 600 because he loves green is fine. I think most of these bikes are so evenly matched that I would choose based on looks, features, guage layout, comfort, etc over performance figures.

But, that's just my opinion.
That was my point...in a more round about kind of way.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i've tracked both.

The honda is a extremely 'flickable' and smooth...I like it a lot.

I ran a three hour endurance race on a 675 @ Nelson Ledges, which has a very long (fast) back straight and the 675 honked down there...it was scary fast in a straight line in a mediumweight class. I am kind of short and stalky if you will and the geometry of the bike is pretty much the opposite.
I also can say it crashes well. In a sprint race the next day my teamate lowsided big time in his own oil.

....whatever that's worth.

and...all this talk about aftermarket parts being an issue doesn't mean squat unless you are really trying to pick the bike apart. My pet peeve is people wanting to mod the piss out of their bikes when they aren't as capable as the machine straight out of the box anyway.

good luck

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
get the 675, you will be so happy you did.......yeah Honda's are dead reliable, but Triumph has come a long ways since their bad days, tell you what youll see more 600RR's in 1 week than you will see 675's in 2-3mos lol.......I like the semi exclusiveness of the 675, not to mention the awesome triple sound, put an aftermarket can on and it just sounds so throaty and just delicious!

·
Registered
241 Posts
i agree, personally i know i wouldnt be able to perform different on the two bikes because of my skill.

I've test ridden the 675 adn i'm in love with the engine note, style and uniqueness of the bike. that's the direction I'm going

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 07+ 600RR's are a huge improvement over the older models 03-05 IMO. And parts are relatively easy to find on various CBR forums, including 600rr.net. I would try and ride both of them and see which one you think you'll be more comfortable on. Me, I fell in love with the new 600RR all over again when I first rode it (coming from two older RR's), and I was thinking about switching to the 675 myself! I still would love to ride one tho.

Aaron

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
The 07+ 600RR's are a huge improvement over the older models 03-05 IMO. And parts are relatively easy to find on various CBR forums, including 600rr.net. I would try and ride both of them and see which one you think you'll be more comfortable on. Me, I fell in love with the new 600RR all over again when I first rode it (coming from two older RR's), and I was thinking about switching to the 675 myself! I still would love to ride one tho.

Aaron
I bought the Daytona...I like my triples what can I say. The little bastard is faster then my Speedie from what I can tell so far, and I haven't let it spin yet.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!

PICTURES!?!?!?!?

I'll go walgreen's today and get them off the camera...I need pics of my 5" chicken strips.

·
HEHATEME
16,189 Posts
I'm honda guy all the way but a 675 is better on the track and street. Lighter a little more cramped commuting but as a track bike it has more low end if you miss shift and just in general, plus it looks better, sounds better and the reliability isn't near an issue just like ducatis.

I will get a 675 next if I can swing it. I'll stick with the F4 for a few month more to get a 675 I like it that much more.

Plus paiin is weakness leaving the body, embrace the agony!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
what about the difference in width? the triumph looks and feels so much thinner than any other in he 600 class. how much of a difference does that really make on the road or track?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts