Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider and have a Ninja 250. Having a blast on it and intend on riding it at least for the 1st few months of next year's riding season. But I've started thinking about my next bike. My intention was to get a 600 super sport, but now I'm thinkin that I might enjoy one of the more touquey sportbikes. I know the the Yamaha is an inline 4, the SV is a V-Twin, and the Ninja is a parallel twin. But I've been told they all have a lot of low end power and all are a more comfortable, easier to ride bike than the ss bikes.

I've sat on all these bikes. The FZ6 and 650R fell very similar in terms of rider position. The SV has a longer tank which stretches me out a bit (I'm 5'7"). But none have as an aggressive riding position as my 250 (which I like). I'm still considering a ss, but the one issue is comfort for my wife, who will be riding with me when I've got more riding experience - but I'll probably have my next bike for a long time.

Is it just a matter of what feels the best when I'm sitting on it? Or do you folks have a favorite? If so, why?

BTW-I searched for a thread with this question (thought it would be a common one) but found none.

Thanks,
Mike

· Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm a new rider and have a Ninja 250. Having a blast on it and intend on riding it at least for the 1st few months of next year's riding season. But I've started thinking about my next bike. My intention was to get a 600 super sport, but now I'm thinkin that I might enjoy one of the more touquey sportbikes. I know the the Yamaha is an inline 4, the SV is a V-Twin, and the Ninja is a parallel twin. But I've been told they all have a lot of low end power and all are a more comfortable, easier to ride bike than the ss bikes.

I've sat on all these bikes. The FZ6 and 650R fell very similar in terms of rider position. The SV has a longer tank which stretches me out a bit (I'm 5'7"). But none have as an aggressive riding position as my 250 (which I like). I'm still considering a ss, but the one issue is comfort for my wife, who will be riding with me when I've got more riding experience - but I'll probably have my next bike for a long time.

Is it just a matter of what feels the best when I'm sitting on it? Or do you folks have a favorite? If so, why?

BTW-I searched for a thread with this question (thought it would be a common one) but found none.

Thanks,
Mike

My best advice is put aside looks in the beginning and think about what bike fits your riding style best. SS (racing, track days and carving the twisties), standard (carving the twisties, little touring and commuting), cruiser (commuting, touring). Then focus on what type of motor you want. Then look for what bikes fit your conditions and sit on all of them and pick the one that ya like the best.

Bikes are designed differently for a reason. If you pick one that is designed for the type of riding you like to do you'll be much happier in the end. Though I'm sure you'll get some tool insist his R6 is awesome for commuting and riding around town. In the end I guess get whatever floats your boat.

· Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Stamford is spot on

Motorcycle Specifications
this should have a comparison or at least you can read reports and stats and compare yourself

If your going to do track days the sv is better for upgrade to suspension by swaps are common. SVs have their own racing class

· Registered
4,472 Posts
My advice is to buy a SV650s or Ninja 650r and get some clip ons for $100 and slap em on. That solves your position problem while still allowing you to have a nice torquey bike :cheers

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My advice is to buy a SV650s or Ninja 650r and get some clip ons for $100 and slap em on. That solves your position problem while still allowing you to have a nice torquey bike :cheers
I thought of this already. But the guys at the dealership are telling me that in order to put clip-ons on the Ninja 650R, I have to modify the fairings and windscreen. Otherwise, the clip ons will hit the existing fairogs/windscreen when the bars are turned all the way. The SV already has clip-ons or they look like them anyway, but I kinda feel stretched out on that bike because the tank is longer than the other bikes.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
The 08+250r has sport bars, which is a bit less aggressive than clip ons.. There are Sportbars available for the 650r - Did the dealership not tell you about these?
I'll be upgrading(or is that literally down-grading?) to the sport bars, can't give too much feedback on them yet, but I know a lot of 650r riders do the swap.
They would give you, essentially, the same riding position as what you're on right now.
I will be doing the switch in the near future, if you'd like i'll remember to hit you up and tell you how they go.
You can find a lot of info in the 650r forums at riderforums.com

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 08+250r has sport bars, which is a bit less aggressive than clip ons.. There are Sportbars available for the 650r - Did the dealership not tell you about these?
I'll be upgrading(or is that literally down-grading?) to the sport bars, can't give too much feedback on them yet, but I know a lot of 650r riders do the swap.
They would give you, essentially, the same riding position as what you're on right now.
I will be doing the switch in the near future, if you'd like i'll remember to hit you up and tell you how they go.
You can find a lot of info in the 650r forums at riderforums.com
Unconnected - That's great news! I really like the looks and feel of the 650R, except for those riser bars that I hate! Are the sport bars you're referring to a Kawi part or a 3rd party vendor? Also, do you know how much they cost? And yes, I'd appreciate any feedback after you get them. Thanks!

· Registered
316 Posts
Best thing you can do is find a big show with demo rides. The International Motorcycle Shows in the warmer locations have demos, and several manufacturers have demo trucks that make the rounds of local shows. I've ridden all three bikes, and a whole lot more.

Those three bikes have VERY different characters. The FZ is so smooth it's boring, the SV vibrates a lot (though not as much as a Buell) and the Ninja 650R is halfway between a V-Twin and an Inline 4- decent torque down low, but without the major vibrations.

If you do a lot of commuting or plan on longer trips, the SV will beat you up- especially being a smaller rider. The riding position is very aggressive. Still, a lot of people will tell you it's the best at everything. The transmission is typical of a Suzuki- vague. Have to watch out for water getting into the front spark plug and causing that cylinder to cut out- at least with the naked and bikini fairings.

-edit- this was the old FZ6. HAven't had a chance to ride the new "R". Can't stand the pencil sharpener nose, personally -edit-
I just plain don't like the FZ- riding position is weird, engine is boring, etc, etc. Typical Yamaha transmission though, very precise- which I DO like. Probably hang with supersports at near top speed where the twins lose steam after about 10k RPMs.

Of course, I have the Ninja, and have 31,000 miles on it. Most of those with the Suburban Machinery bars. The stock bars are goofy and cramped. If I drone at interstate speeds for too long, my legs get sore- but that would happen on any sporty bike. Neutral can be a little too easy to find occasionally, but the Positive Neutral Finder is pretty slick, and overall the transmission is very good.

Suburban Machinery- good people to deal with. In fact, I need to ship my bars back for straightening. Took two solid lowsides to tweak them. Stainless steel with VERY high quality welds. Definitely better than the other "sport bars"
Kawasaki Ninja 650R motorcycle and Z1000

· Registered
4,472 Posts
I thought of this already. But the guys at the dealership are telling me that in order to put clip-ons on the Ninja 650R, I have to modify the fairings and windscreen. Otherwise, the clip ons will hit the existing fairogs/windscreen when the bars are turned all the way. The SV already has clip-ons or they look like them anyway, but I kinda feel stretched out on that bike because the tank is longer than the other bikes.
True, but not true. Some work, some dont. There are a few that only work with the racebody from hotbodies, but you can still get lower bars with unmodified and stock fairings. You have a choice between aftermarket bars, sport bars, etc. Just make sure you know ahead of time what will fit and what will not. But you CAN make the bars lower for a more aggressive feel.

Ninja650Shop.com Ninja 650R Parts & Accessories 402-934-6627

· Registered
888 Posts
The suburban machinery bars do make a big difference on the ninja. The brakes feel marginally better on the ninja too. Whatever you get make one of the 1st mods a steering damper. Both bikes could really use these. Other than that it is a toss up.

· Part 3 begins
3,666 Posts
Suburban machinery replacement handlebars = $150 and clear the fairings/windscreen just fine.- trust me, I had them
They just have to swivel the master brake cylinder banjo bolt down about 30 degrees.

it is one piece, look em up - great quality - hand made by a guy and they worked great

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went to the local dealership and sat on these bikes. The Ninja 650R felt pretty good, but I really don't like the digital instrument panel. The Yamaha FZ6R felt really good. As a short guy, I liked the low seat height. And the instrument panel is pretty SS-like. From what I've been reading the detumed inline 4 in the FZ6R will also provide more power then the parallel twin in the Ninja. However, I think I'd be really happy with either of them.

· Registered
5 Posts
Anybody here have the ConvertiBARS?
I've seen them online but have not ridden a bike that has them, nor do I know anyone who has. They seem pretty versatile. If they work as advertised, those would allow for having multiple handlebar setups for different riding situations.
My $.02

· Registered
4,472 Posts
I went to the local dealership and sat on these bikes. The Ninja 650R felt pretty good, but I really don't like the digital instrument panel. The Yamaha FZ6R felt really good. As a short guy, I liked the low seat height. And the instrument panel is pretty SS-like. From what I've been reading the detumed inline 4 in the FZ6R will also provide more power then the parallel twin in the Ninja. However, I think I'd be really happy with either of them.
The digital instrument panel is only on 09 650r's and up.

· Registered
10 Posts
The digital instrument panel is only on 09 650r's and up.
Well, I have both, the (2009)650R for my girl and the (2008)FZ6 for me.
Comparing the bikes...

Looks: 650R hands down
Power: can't compare... FZ6 is a rocket compared to the 650R on the highway and at low speeds you don't see much of a difference if you know how to use your clutch properlly.
Aftermarket: for the FZ6 you can find all you wish... there is next to no aftermarket support for the 650R.
Finish: Equal, a tiny bit in favor of the 650R as it has more attention to details.
Quality: Equal.
Materials: Look at the frame... Tubular(650R) vs. Cast light aluminium(FZ6). FZ6 is a winner here.
Price: About $1500 more for the FZ6. Is it worth it? If you consider it has a 28hp more, cast frame, aftermarket support, excelent quality overall, in my opinion is more then worth it. In my GF opinion... looks are as important :)

Hope this helps

· Registered
10 Posts
If the FZ6R had the same headlights that is on yours, I'd be more likely to buy one. But the new single light is damn ugly, in my opinion.
Do not touch the FZ6R... it actually improved the looks... and tuned it down to about 70hp like the 650R and SV650. I would either try to get a FZ6 from 2009 (last year of REAL FZ6 in Us/CANADA) or get something else... the important thing about the bike you buy are the following:

1st and foremost is comfort as without it it will be a pain to just go for long rides.
2nd is the handling but if comfort is there... handling is easy on any bike you drive as your body adjust to it anyways (some exceptions do apply). Take per instance the VFR from HONDA... not the easiest bike to start riding on as its weight is tremendous but once you get used to it... you will swear by it and nothing else.
3rd is your health issues (knees issues, back issues, overweight issues...) as it will limit your ability to buy some bikes that otherwise you would love to ride.
Many people are scared of b***** HP for their first bike... I think they are actually scared of themselves, not the bike. Like guns, people kill people, not guns. If you get a bike that you can feel and bound to it... you're golden. Believe me that you rather get the 30HP extra in a FZ6 as you will be happier in the long run. Having a bit more to grow with also goes with keeping your bike longer, following a group with more ease and just a general impression of a better bike anyways...

· Registered
10 Posts
The above said... I have to mention that the handling on the 650R is stellar! Super nice and responsive. But if you are a tall person... forget about it right now. I am 6'1" and I am always battling with the wind. FZ6 (not the FZ6R) is a bit better as it is a more elongated position but still has a bit of the same problem.
Also, the worst thing on the 650R is the speed changing pedal. It is so close to the pegs that I have troubles handling in properly. My GF is OK as she is very petite (5'3") and has small feet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.