Sport Bikes banner

600ss as a first track bike?

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Tomsey 
#1 ·
I just started taking my r6 to the track for trackdays. I ride this bike on the street and as I'm starting to ride harder on the track, I'm getting worried about crashing it. I'd like to get a track bike before too long.

I wanted to start out on a 125gp (a tz125) bike but, after looking around, I found that I can get a 99 r6 track bike in the $4000 CAD range. Most decent gp bikes are that price but in US funds. I like the idea of learning corner speed and whatnot on the light weight bike but I would also like a gas and go bike. I know that gp bikes are FAR from gas and go and I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with the maintence requirements yet. I know the tire budget on a 600 is quite high but other than tires, they don't require much maintence from what I've heard.

At this point in time I have no desire to race, only ride track days which is why I think starting on a 600ss bike would be okay. If I ever plan on racing, I would get a smaller bike for sure because the grids in the 600 class are huge. My plan right now is to get a 600ss bike for track days and then, in several years, when I want to race, get something like a tz250. I'm assuming that a 250gp bike would still teach cornering very well, especially comming off an r6 or something.

Another bike I've considered is a sv650 because so many people recommend them. I'm just having trouble seeing why it would be so much better than a 600. It seems like all the race sv650s have a huge list of mods and that would really add up. They are also nearly as heavy as a 600 so I don't see how they would teach cornering any better. If there is a good reason for starting on a sv650, please tell me and I'll reconsider the bike.

I also would like to stay with Yamaha's. I know the owner of the local shop quite well and he takes me down to the track so I would like to remain a loyal customer to him. This is also another reason why I would like to stay away from the sv650.

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#4 ·
There's a couple things you need to do.

1) If you really want to learn how to ride on the track well, get a bike that will teach you to ride well. I can't reccomend my bike enough. It teaches you all about holding corner speed and really is kinda unforgiving, if you make a slight error, you aren't any more likely to crash, but the bike will let you know by turning much slower lap times.

2) Pick up "A Twist of The Wrist" and "A Twist of The Wrist 2" by Keith Code, great for beginning track riders, teaches you alot of the things you need to know.

The problem you are going to run into with a SS600 track bike is running costs, you are going to go through tires ALOT faster vs a 250cc bike.

Jason

#5 ·
firefighter81 said:
There's a couple things you need to do.

1) If you really want to learn how to ride on the track well, get a bike that will teach you to ride well. I can't reccomend my bike enough. It teaches you all about holding corner speed and really is kinda unforgiving, if you make a slight error, you aren't any more likely to crash, but the bike will let you know by turning much slower lap times.

2) Pick up "A Twist of The Wrist" and "A Twist of The Wrist 2" by Keith Code, great for beginning track riders, teaches you alot of the things you need to know.

The problem you are going to run into with a SS600 track bike is running costs, you are going to go through tires ALOT faster vs a 250cc bike.

Jason
+1 aprilia rs250 is awsome on the track it taught me a lot and i wish i never sold her but when i moved from hawaii i had to part with her...i think im gonna start looking for another maybe it'll get my grl into riding...

#7 ·
RACER X said:
if you really wanna end up riding well, get a ninja 250, then an SV, then a R6. if you just wanna ride, go w/ the R6
I myself started riding a buell on the street, then a sv on track/street. Then a 600 on street and the sv on the track. What's your opnion on that? I don't think ive pushed my SV's limits yet. But im damn fast IMO. Not bad for being a teenager still.

#9 ·
I am planning my 1st trackday for either this fall or next spring and I am going to use my 600 Gixxer. There is a local guy who is a longtime Suzuki mechanic who is going to prep my bike for me. I bought the VFR so I can use the Gixxer as my trackday machine, although I will still ride it on the street sometimes. I plan on going to Jennings or Barber and may investigate a track school as well. I've been riging a long time but have no track experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.