Sport Bikes banner

600ss as a first track bike?

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Tomsey 
#1 ·
I just started taking my r6 to the track for trackdays. I ride this bike on the street and as I'm starting to ride harder on the track, I'm getting worried about crashing it. I'd like to get a track bike before too long.

I wanted to start out on a 125gp (a tz125) bike but, after looking around, I found that I can get a 99 r6 track bike in the $4000 CAD range. Most decent gp bikes are that price but in US funds. I like the idea of learning corner speed and whatnot on the light weight bike but I would also like a gas and go bike. I know that gp bikes are FAR from gas and go and I'm not sure if I'm ready to deal with the maintence requirements yet. I know the tire budget on a 600 is quite high but other than tires, they don't require much maintence from what I've heard.

At this point in time I have no desire to race, only ride track days which is why I think starting on a 600ss bike would be okay. If I ever plan on racing, I would get a smaller bike for sure because the grids in the 600 class are huge. My plan right now is to get a 600ss bike for track days and then, in several years, when I want to race, get something like a tz250. I'm assuming that a 250gp bike would still teach cornering very well, especially comming off an r6 or something.

Another bike I've considered is a sv650 because so many people recommend them. I'm just having trouble seeing why it would be so much better than a 600. It seems like all the race sv650s have a huge list of mods and that would really add up. They are also nearly as heavy as a 600 so I don't see how they would teach cornering any better. If there is a good reason for starting on a sv650, please tell me and I'll reconsider the bike.

I also would like to stay with Yamaha's. I know the owner of the local shop quite well and he takes me down to the track so I would like to remain a loyal customer to him. This is also another reason why I would like to stay away from the sv650.

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.