Sport Bikes banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
hmmm....i wonder if this is the first time this question has been asked...........search is your friend......

http://home.earthlink.net/~thebradfords/startsmall.htm

funny how new rider's think it'll be "ok" to start, and most seasoned rider's disagree........i wonder who has knowledge?

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
demonbane said:
You'll have to pardon my ignorance on the mechanical aspects here, but what exactly is the reason that newer 600's are so much more powerful than the older ones?
its like the progession with cars too, look at the late 80s vs 90s and now, everything is faster and lighter...

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
I started out on a 250(for a year riding) and went up to an R6--I didn't have any problems adjusting as I took it very slow and had and still have the utmost respect for my bike..so I have to disagree that people who start on a 250 feel over confident to a point and then get a 600 and go nuts...for me...it helped me learn to be a much better rider then some others I know.

There won't be a time in my life where I think I have mastered the bike...I didn't master the 250 and I won't master the R6 either...you have to have raw talent to truly master a bike and those that do are racing in the big leagues!! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
sjlee said:
There was only the ZX600E2 (ZX-6) and ZX600C7 (Ninja 600R) in 1994. The first ZX-6R was a 1995 model. I was mistaken... I had the 600R and ZX-6 weights mixed up.

35 pounds (dry) is quite a bit of difference on bikes. With the wet weights (how you'd ride it), the difference is even greater...

Blast = 389 lbs wet
Ninja 600R = 456 lbs wet

That's 67 lbs difference. I don't doubt that the Blast and 600R handle similarly, but you'll definitely tell the difference at slow speeds or pushing it around.

Sounds like you've got some sense in you if you chose to go with an older 600 rather than a newer one. Your Ninja was first offered as a 1988 model, which meant it competed with the likes of the FZ600/FZR600, CBR600 (Hurricane) and Katana 600. Although it pales in power compared to the new 600s, it has more than enough power for street riding.

Have fun and be safe.
ack...ur right. either way, its not AS heavy as u said ;) :)
anyways, since its practically the same bike from 85-97 (more or less 88-97 like u said), theres plenty of these things being parted out and parts are very cheap...plus the bike is VERY simple to work on. i practically took the whole thing appart and put it all back together in a day without even looking at any service manual...the EX500/250 is pretty much the same design more or less too, so they should be just as easy to work on ur own...so as for whether my bike is a good bike to start on as a beginner, mechanically yes...once ur on the road though, ill never recommend it to anyone

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a female who is 39 and been riding since I was 5 years old. I have 2 600's a 1986 ninja and I just recently got a 1994 ninja zx600e2. I got on the new ninja just the other day and it ran like a bat out of hell. It has a lot more power then my older one and all I have to say is RESPECT RESPECT RESPECT. I think and know from experience you can get hurt on any bike regaurdless of the size, so until you know what the bike is capable of and how it reacts to certain conditions you need to ride with an error of caution. I love my 600's just be good to the bike and it will be good to you.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
fuck u bring this back up for? and ubergoober u only wish something bad has happened to him so you can sccare new riders which is sad.
Easy there Bucko.

It's interesting how many posters in this original thread aren't around much any more.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
When old threads come back to the top like this, I ALWAYS wonder what happened to the people who posted in it. It's called thinking about stuff.

Does it scare you? That's sad.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
It is what it is. Nothing more.

I really wish guys who start threads like this would come back and tell us what they learned. I always hope they are OK and decided they didn't need us.

When they disappear I always wonder what happened to them. Apparently, me commenting on it is taboo however, because it means that I am hoping that bad things happened to people I never met.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.