Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from riding about 900 miles around texas visiting family and friends, about half of it in heavy rain, 7 things I'm thankful for having:

1) Michelin Pilot Power tires
These have got to be the best rain tire out there. Got caught in 3 heavy downpours and never had a scary moment, no shimmy. Much better than my old dunlops, held lines so well I felt like a gp racer at shanghai.

2) Rain X
Wow does this stuff work great. Just apply to your shield and go ride in a storm, the water slides off. Look left, look right, as good as wipers. When you clear the storm, go over 100 mph and the water is history.

3) silicone waterproofing leather treatment
I didnt have rain overpants other than the dreaded PVC slicker suit so I treated my alpinestars pants before I left. The leathers were completely dry every time I got off the bike.

4) marmot essence rain poncho
This thing weighs 6 ounces, packs into a space the size of a paperback, breaths like a t-shirt, and is impervious to rain. ok I just threw out my PVC...

5) seal skinz kayak waterproof socks
some water always managed to get into my boot. feet stayed dry thanks to these little items from REI

6) givi speedpack tailbag
painted kawi green and expands vertically to accomodate anything you need to take, as good as samsonite luggage. completely waterproof, makes my tail section look like a busa with a case of elephantitis

7) zx-6r fairing and seat
anyone looking at getting a new zzr600, you will appreciate these in weather and wind. if I tucked onto the tank low enough behind the windscreen I could get a reprieve from the wet. Legs were shielded by the lowers, amazing how much protection you get from this fairing. and the seat, I could ride for days on this thing. wide and extremely comfortable.

That was fun, sign me up for iron butt I'll own all the goldwings with my little 600. :lol

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Heh heh, I thought of trying to sport tour on my 600rr. Helibars, b***** screen, lowered pegs, corbin seat, etc... I sold it and bought a VFR instead. Sounds like a cool trip despite the rain. How many miles a day were you doing?

Oh yeah, and:

:needpics

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I did 800 miles on my F4 with Shardskinz a couple weekends ago it was fun except for the incestant 7k rpms at 100 mph I can still hear it

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
Well, I'll be seeing how well our bike tours next weekend. I'm riding it over to Wisconsin to see the Superbike races.

I'm hoping that I don't have to deal with any rain but I've got my rain suit in the saddle bags. If it rains I'm interested to see how the Double Bubble helps.

I have to disagree with you on the seat though. I've done a few long days and my butt always hurts after about 2 hours. I ordered some bicycling shorts that have gel in the crotch/butt area. I hope those help.

I have some Sidi boots, On Road Sympatec, that are completely waterproof. I took a couple of long trips on my old bike and had plenty of rain and still dry feet. I also stood in Lake Michigan at one point and they didn't let any water in. Probably a lot more expensive than those socks though.

I'm interested in seeing a picture of the Givi tailbag you are talking about.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Going to take my FZ6 on a road trip up to North Carolina later this summer to visit a buddy of mine. Got the Stitch, Corbin bags, tent, and sleeping bag...it ought to be fun times. :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
likebikes said:
I have to disagree with you on the seat though. I've done a few long days and my butt always hurts after about 2 hours. I ordered some bicycling shorts that have gel in the crotch/butt area. I hope those help.

I'm interested in seeing a picture of the Givi tailbag you are talking about.
about the seat...might be because of my seating position. I rarely ride sitting straight up, I'm usually tucked with knees hugging the tank, elbows on knees...so my weight is distributed among my boots, wrists, seat, and knees. I found that my back likes it better being forced to be straight while in full tuck, whereas when I'm sitting up I tend to relax my back too much rather than keeping it rigid straight. When I do this I get a nasty back ache.

as for the tailbag, my dig camera is out of commission right now but I do have a stock pic of a yellow one so you get the idea. You can get these from AZ motorsports, and givi may still have some for order but if you want one act fast they are discontinued.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts