Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I am at a dealership this morning and I ask one of the guys about getting a new 600 and using it as a race bike/ track bike. (This is a Honda/ Kawi. dealer.) He tells me that the two best bikes are the R6 and the CBR600RR. He tells me that the GSXR has no midrange and said that they break down and have problems when raced. He said the suspension stinks etc. (Which frankly I thought was a bunch of [email protected]@p because every guy I know that races replaces the rear shock and does the fork internals.) He said he raced in several organizations including CCS and that he races a CBR- which he thought was the best bike. I said that I was told that the GSXR has the best contingency money and has the most parts options out there if you want to race. He also said that the CBR was the most crash worthy of the four bikes. (Incidentally he not so subtly trashed my S4- but that is another thread.) I have been told that if you want to race at a club level that the Suzuki is one of the best choices- in fact some things that are exactly the opposite of what this guy was saying. SO what are everyones opinions about this?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i think the guy just hates suzuki, probably because there might be a suzuki dealer nearby that is getting alot more buisness than he is, so he figured that he would try to turn you off from suzuki so he gets your buisness. i think all the bikes are great, it just comes down to rider preference.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
it wasn't a suzuki dealer right?

Case closed!

I've heard the same thing, suzuki has the most aftermarket race parts and is one of the cheapest, best bikes to race...that's just what i've heard/read...i don't race tho.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I believe the GSX-r is the only one of the 4 japs to come with a stock steering damper. There are other subtle differences like the way the seat feels.(Honda RR is stiff as a board. Yamaha seat is more narrow.) But the are all basically the same. And the GSX-R 600 has the best mid-range out of all the japs, go to a different stealership. Besides with as many used bikes out there with under 1000 miles. Buy used and save a couple grand. Plus you'll probably end up with a pipe on it already.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Any 600 supersport today is a lethal track bike in anyone's capable hands. One bike may edge out another in a certain catergory (ie....Honda for well known chassis), but there's really only a [email protected]#t hair of a difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The GSXR engine is one of the most bullet-proof engines made, and your dead on about suspension being swapped out, and he says he is a racer?? :squid :urowned

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
don;t buy a new bike to make it a race bike.......buy a recon title bike or bike thats already race prepped....way to much $ to get it prepped.

check on the WERA link posted.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Go to a Suz/Yam dealer and you'll hear just the opposite. It's amazing some of the shit motorcycle salespeople will pass off as fact. According to the dyno graphs, the GSXR actually has the best midrange, except for the 36cc more Ninja. Regardless, all 4 bikes are so close only a highly skilled professional on a track would ever exploit the differences.

If I were going to buy one of these it would come down to price, dealer service, looks and what I feel comfortable on. Performance wouldn't even be an issue because the differences are microscopic.

·
Registered
243 Posts
well, you're not serious. . . you're daydreaming . . . that's the biggest problem.

If you want a track bike, you're not seriously going to buy a new 600 SS. There's no reason to get a new bike for the track. A 2-3 year old RC-51 is gonna tear the shit out of those 600's (on the track only) and is going to be less expensive.

Oh and whoever said that GSXR engine is bulletproof?!?! Honda? Hello?

New 600 SS is a bad choice. going to a dealer to ask about track performance is a bad idea. The only good idea you had was that S4 :dblthumb

·
Registered
21 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
my old srad had 43k (miles) on it and I thrashed it every day of its life, almost every weekend around oulton park. Friend has an rf900 with 53k on it and its sweet as a nut :banana

I never mentioned honda :nuts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Stitch said:
my old srad had 43k (miles) on it and
Not a GSXR

Stitch said:
Friend has an rf900 with 53k
Not a GSXR

Anybody
can tell you of all the jap SS's, Suzuki's and Kaw's are the least reliable. they're cheaper bikes. That's why they have lower resale (signifigantly lower).

That's not to say they are bad engines (much more reliable than fords/chevy/harley :) ) but when compares to their rivals at honda and Yamaha, they are about as bulletproof as . :hshot

·
Registered
966 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
well, you're not serious. . . you're daydreaming . . . that's the biggest problem.

If you want a track bike, you're not seriously going to buy a new 600 SS. There's no reason to get a new bike for the track. A 2-3 year old RC-51 is gonna tear the shit out of those 600's (on the track only) and is going to be less expensive.

New 600 SS is a bad choice. going to a dealer to ask about track performance is a bad idea. The only good idea you had was that S4 :dblthumb
And getting a RC-51 as a track bike if its your first is a bad idea. You can find 1-3 year old 600's that will do the same job. But I wouldnt go with a brand new bike unless your spoiled or rich. Now about the engine thing, its going to be based on who you talk too. Any of the newer 600's will be a great track bike, and you wont be able to feel the difference between them. THIS IS JUST MY TRACK BIKE but its a 01 GSXR 600, and its been highsided twice lowsided, stolen, and its still a strong bike, and the frame is straight. So like I said its just going to manage who you talk to and what they like.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
SV

lol

·
Registered
162 Posts
H2Omax1 said:
Not a GSXR

Not a GSXR

Anybody
can tell you of all the jap SS's, Suzuki's and Kaw's are the least reliable. they're cheaper bikes. That's why they have lower resale (signifigantly lower).

That's not to say they are bad engines (much more reliable than fords/chevy/harley :) ) but when compares to their rivals at honda and Yamaha, they are about as bulletproof as . :hshot
Since when was an SRAD not a gsx-r? :urowned

·
Registered
926 Posts
if you really do plan on racing, and not just track days, look at contigencys. suzuki pays insanely well. 2000 $$$ for a first place and they pay all the way down to 7th i belive. thats how it is in AFM. i see way more GSX-R's on the track than any other bikes. all the manufacturers know how to build a damn good bike, and they do. whoever says one is built better than the other is extremely biased and/or has never worked on the bikes of equal updates.

in the end, you cant go wrong. get what puts you in the most natural riding position.

and as someone else said, if its just a track bike, do yourself a favor and buy used!

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
H2Omax1 said:
BTW. . . Claudius. . .what do you ride now?
Triumph S4. I friggin love the bike - it is a keeper- but I am in the market for a track bike. And yes, if I were going to get a "racebike" (like I can even ride well- NOT) I would hit the WERA boards and get one someone else has already spent umpteenth amount of money on- rather than chasing that money pit myself.

Really what bothered me is that this kid acted like the information I have heard from people I know make a living (a crappy one though) out of racing was BS. But, you know what I am always ready to listen and I try to keep as open minded as I can.

I also should note that he told me that he did not change the suspension of his CBR and that he had recently high-sided and broken his wrist because (he admitted) that he had used old tires (i.e. ones that had gone through a couple of heat cycles in other "races.") I guess I was also bothered because I was a potential customer and he sort of acted like I was an idiot (which I freely admit I am) and told me that the information that I have been hearing from club racers who have been racing for longer than the kid was alive was not true.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
H2Omax1 said:
Not a GSXR

Not a GSXR

Anybody

Dude, the SRAD is a GSXR. The guy from the UK is just referring to the acronym on the back of the bike. UK dude- BTW I heard that Gus Scott died at the TT- I was gutted by that. Still am. I have a PB sticker on the back of the S4 in his memory.

Also not spoiled. Look I sincerely appreciate your advice- but if someone has the cash to build a new bike into a racebike I don't think that that is any indication that they are "spoiled." (If you are my age it means your wife is really cool to let you spend the cash!!!).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts