Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was time for the first service over the weekend. I loaded it up and dropped it off at the same dealer I got it from. $100.50 lighter I got my bike back in 2 hours. The throttle and clutch got tightened as did the chain. The feel was better riding it since I didn't have to pull the clutch in all the way to get it into the next gear and the throttle is much better with less freeplay before the motor responds. The oil is fresh and so is the filter. Now with over 700 miles I'm wondering just when I can open her up? I know there is a need to knock off the glazing on most cylinders by going to red line under load for a moment while breaking in a standard bore. Does anyone know if it is required in these ceramanic coated sleeves too? :cool: If so how long do I take it to red line or the rev limiter?

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
I didnt play with the rev limiter or actually go over 12000rpms untill 1200 miles. Im sure that you can do it sooner though. The book says its fine after 1000miles. Since then ive hit redline on 1st and 2nd. Ill do it in 3rd soon cause im gonna do some drag racing on fri nights at a local track.

1st = 62 mph
2nd = 86 or 88 mph It changed too fast for me to tell.
3rd?
4th?
5th?
6th = 148 these are unajusted speeds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The manual says "avoid prolonged operation above 7000 RPMs (600 miles) and 9000 RPMs (1000 miles)". My dealer told me it was ok to wind it out in a single gear every once in a while. I waited til about 600 miles (I think) then I would wind it out in a single gear then upshift twice to bring the RPMs back down. Have fun. :)

BTW, from what I understand max HP is at 12000RPM and max torque is at 10000 RPM.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I changed the oil, adjusted the chain and clutch, and basically checked for loose parts for the 600 mile service. I have only brought it up to about 12,000 rpm's a few times and I have over 800 miles on it.

I also have had snowmobiles with ceramic coated cylinders and the "break in" was only the first tank of gas (100 miles). Granted it is a 2 stroke engine but I don't think for ceramic sleaves it would make that big a difference. I break them in how I'm going to ride them and have had no problems (sled, atv, boat).

Here is a link on an interesting article.

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1breakin.htm

Robb

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, That was interesting reading Robb on the fz1. I guess the same things apply. 850 miles now maybe by this weekend I'll be able to open her up. I took it to about 9,000 into 2 & 3rd earlier man she sure wants to run.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've been in 4th at an indicated 120mph. That was at 12k not the redline at 14k so may have gotton a little more juice out of it at 14k. I like to wind out 1st and 2nd cause this bikes screams so sweet above 8k. Sounds like the R6 tuning in that range. I was pretty good during break-in tho, I broke 7k once for 600 and broke 9k a couple times before 1000.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hit 10,000 last night with just over 1000 miles on her.
I was going up a hill in second and when I shifted into 3rd thats when I wound it up.
Very good steady power all the way up. I'm sure glad I didn't like the styling of the FZ1 as much when I was picking which one to buy, I can imagine how much more power they have, geeeezzzzz...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts