Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious.. What do they do during this service? I would like to do it myself.. I love working on the bike myself, is just an oil change or what? Cause i can do that..

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
They will do the oil change, adjust your chain, check all your other fluids, and will re-torque all your various nuts and bolts. At least that's what they tell you they do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats ridic.. i see no reason to pay for that..I'll do the oil change myself, lube my chain and do a basic check.. its prob more than they would actually do anyway.. fuckin stealerships..

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Yeah, it is a rip-off. I did my own 600 mile service. Cost me all of $20.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Look in your owners manual and do what it says to do in the maintenance section. Buy a service manual or download one and get to work

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
download one? where can i do that?

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
njssli22 said:
download one? where can i do that?
Why not just go and buy one ?, after all you've just bought a brand new bike, so a service manual is peanuts in comparison.

And your owners handbook will tell tell you what need to be done at what mileage intervals.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy a recent second hand bike that didn't have a dealer stamp in the service history. You've just spent $000's on a new bike, why not get it dealer serviced ? Trained mechanics probably know more than you do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats true, then prob know more than I do, but its just the knowledge and pleasure of knowing I can work on my own bike.. It really has nothing to do with the money..I'm gonna give em a call tomorrow and see when they can do and how much it would cost and exactly WHAT they do..If I can do the same shit, I'll do it myself..

·
Registered
17 Posts
to the few comments above:
if you just spent 8-10grand on a bike why in the hell would you have to pay another 100-200 within few weeks for a checkup.. the way I look at it that first check up should be done for free by the dealership as their appereciation.Most car dealerships do it.
Anyway if you are even a little knowledgable about bikes,cars w/e I'd do it yourself and just follow what it says in Owners Manual

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
derRRcbr said:
to the few comments above:
if you just spent 8-10grand on a bike why in the hell would you have to pay another 100-200 within few weeks for a checkup.. the way I look at it that first check up should be done for free by the dealership as their appereciation.Most car dealerships do it.
Anyway if you are even a little knowledgable about bikes,cars w/e I'd do it yourself and just follow what it says in Owners Manual
Well, if you'd just spent 8-10 grand on a new bike why wouldn't you pay to have it serviced properly ?

I would never buy a supersports bike that hadn't been dealer serviced with all the stamps in the service book, a little knowledge on the owners part means just that, a little knowledge, and that doesn't mean a well maintained bike.

I think you'll also find the warranty is invalid unless it's been dealer maintained.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The I would let the Dealer do the first service that way when you wheel shoots off or something falls off because it was loose you have that service to stand on.

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
How much does it run?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not sure, they are closed today.. I'm gonna call tomorrow and find out..

·
Registered
436 Posts
i did mine myself. Basically change oil and filter (u'll see some metal shavings, but thats normal),but also top off coolant( if needed), throttle check, make sure brake fliud is up, and just inspect things while ur fairing is off.

no sense paying someone to look at ur bike and say yup looks good. Its a new bike everything should be fine. my .02

good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts