Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...just joined...glad to be here.

I am looking ta a 600...I am 6"2 1/2, about 230 lbs, pretty athletic. I really like the look of the 03 CBR 600 F4i, but also like the new YZF-6R. Out of all the options in this class, which would best suit a rider of my stature?

Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
If I were you brent, I would go with the YZF. But have you given any thought to the R6 or CRB 600RR?

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Welcome.

All those bikes are going to be smaller fitting. The f4i might be the best to start on of those bikes. It's a bit more upright then the others. Go check them out at some dealerships and you'll know right away. Maybe take a look at the yamaha 600r too.

Some might give you 'ish about starting on a 600. You'll be alright as long as you always respect the bike and don't get too comfortable too quick. If you tend to not be very responsible driving and in other areas of life, maybe something smaller then a 6 would be good. Even a 250 is suprisingly quick.

·
Registered
304 Posts
6'5", 260lbs here, and I've owned one of everything. The comfort depends, in my opinion, on what you're used to and what kind of riding you do. I had an F4i and a ZX-6R. Both were fine, but the ZX-6R was a little better, comfort wise. The F4i, however, was a little sharper handling-wise.

The YZF is the only viable option of those for a beginner, imo, and it's not a great one. I started on a Suzuki GS500, and it was fine. I was probably 6'4" and around 220lbs. then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am actually in the process of doing my permit, so I really don't have a clue what kind of riding tendancies I will have. I am a responsible driver in car, but I race ski-doos, so tend to be a bit of a nut on those. I don't plan on changing up the bike anytime soon, so I want to get something in that range and stick with it...I was actually looking AT THE GIXXER 750, but figured 600 would do nicely...my cousin just bought the GSX-r 600 last year and loves it. For the look it is a toss for me between the CBR F4i or the liquid silver YZF-R. I really like the look of the ZX6R in blue, but I sat on one and they feel really crouched...I would like something with a bit more upright. I don't intend to do a load of racing or anything...at least not until I am very confident on the bike, so I am primarily interested in a good looking, comfortable ride with the potential for some stomp when I need it and am ready for it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
600s are not good starter bikes. Take the MSF first and then look for a 250 or 500 to learn on. Respecting the bike or taking it easy won't help you since you are a new rider and don't know (and are still the learning) the right inputs and right things to do. These are 100hp machines and are engineered for experienced riders, not newbies.

I've heard all the arguments that you control the throttle, that if you are responsible, you'll be fine and so on. It is a bunch of crap. The 600s will not forgive you for your own mistakes and inexperience. You'll be a much better rider long-term getting onto a Ninja 500 or GS500 first, put a year or two on that and then step up. The 500s, with a skilled rider on one, can easily keep up with any 600 or 1000 in the twisties and pass them with a little aggressive riding with less-experienced riders on the b***** bikes.

600cc supersports are small only compared to liter bikes. They are light, powerful and sensitive. Even the early-to-mid 90s supersports possess these qualities. Just because they are a couple dozen pounds heavier and down on horsepower doesn't make them any less potent to a newbie. The modern bikes will just get you into trouble a half-second faster overall.

·
Registered
494 Posts
starting on a 600 is fine. 60 mph on a 500 and 60 mph on a 600 is still the same speed. i started on a 600 years ago. im fine. i still ride 600's. just bought an r6. the maintenance is easy on the r6 if you are moderately mechanically inclined.

if you do go for the r6 i have the factory service manual i can email you.

fernando

·
Registered
494 Posts
oh god. this is so dumb. yes starting on a 500 isnt a bad idea. however it doesnt make starting on a 600 a bad one either.

ALL MOTORCYCLES ARE LOADED GUNS. IF YOU DONT USE THEM CORRECTLY YOU MIGHT LOSE YOUR HEAD.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh and using my last analogy a little further you cannot stop people from shooting you. Which is your greatest concern.

·
Registered
753 Posts

Am 6'3'' 220lbs and started and still ride a 2002 ZX6-R. I am cosidering BMW's new sport bike set to debut later this year though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
911_abuser said:
starting on a 600 is fine. 60 mph on a 500 and 60 mph on a 600 is still the same speed. i started on a 600 years ago. im fine. i still ride 600's. just bought an r6. the maintenance is easy on the r6 if you are moderately mechanically inclined.

if you do go for the r6 i have the factory service manual i can email you.

fernando
that's just stupid! 60mph on a busa is the same speed as well, what happens when you(the newbie) jerk the throttle WFO is WHY you start out with the less powerfull 500.

You may have 'survived' riding 600's all this time, but I guaranty a guy that started at the same time as you on a 250 would run circles around you and your 600, probably on a 250..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know bikes and ski-doos are a different ball-game in a different park, but I have also pounded some serious ditch on a myriad of different machines. Yes, the higher performance machines behave like higher performance machines...more touchy, less forgiving. I am certainly not turning up my nose at anyone's advice...especially since everyone on here has more experience than me at this point, but I am pretty set in my decision to go with a 600 or b*****...I just don't feel like switching rides...I am buying something new and am going to use it for as long as possible...my view is if you learn on something demanding you should develop better skills in the long run.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
I bought an 02 R6 last year with 1600 miles on it. Up to 20000 now and I am still very much alive. Even did a track day and got a knee down.

You know what you can handle, get what you want. Be smart. Wear all your gear just in case.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts