Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with the fuel shut off valve diaghram. One time it runs fine and the next morning it will start and run for a minute or 2 and then it dies and won't even fire. I have it isolated to the vacuum diaghram. Does anyone know if it will cause a problem replacing the shut off valve with one that does not have the diaghram and blocking the fitting off that is in the intake.
Thanks for the input in advance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
bikes don't get gas for a couple of reasons, out of gas, tank not vented correctly, fuel filter clogged. vacuum hose not sucking the diaphram back. the bike died after it used up all the available gas that was already in the carb bowls. are there cracks or kinks in the vacuum hose? if so just replace it. but yes, you can get a gravity petcock from pingel http://www.pingelonline.com/ ($60) or a drag specialties one ($15). they are both gravity and have ON/OFF/RES functions. they have 3/8 " male NPT fitting. so you need to buy a Pingel adapter plate with female hole($12) to accept the 3/8 NPT.

basically you take you petcock off the tank. measure the distance center to center of the mounting holes and get the adapter plate that will fit. then you might need to open up the inlet hole on your tank. I normally use a dremel after flushing the tank with water, but you can use a file. cut the tank material enough so that the inlet pipes of the petcock can fit into the tank. then permanently mounty the adapter plate using the gasket and gasket grease they provide along with the mounting screws. then wrap 4 wraps of teflon tape around the threads of the petcock and screw it in. it won't go all the way in, there will still be some threads exposed. then hook your fuel line and plug the vacuum line. you can stick a screw in the end with some goop of your choice, I always remove the vacuum line entirely and put a vacuum plug on the nipple it came from.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a pingel on my 550 and drag specialties on the 750. things to check for ar the the new petcock is a different shape and might be in the way of things once you get it mounted. now you must always remember to turn the gas off every time.

the pingel is a nicer petcock. it is more discrete and the lever moves easily, good when you need to switch from On to RES. I don't think it was painted, looks milled, but it was $60 so combined with the $12 adapter = $72

they both flow gas well. the drag specialies is harder to turn and looks very basic I think it was painted a chrome color. but it was only $15 so combined with the $12 adapter = $27

but both do the job well. Honest opnion, i like the pingel better, better fit and finish and attention to detail

·
Registered
304 Posts
You can replace your vacuum operated petcock with a non-vacuum petcock, but you WILL have to shut your fuel off every time you turn your bike off. If not, gas will slowly flow into your carbs and then into your engine at all times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I have another petcock that does not have the diaghram but is identical to the original in every other way.
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts