Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
500-600cc Bike wanted to buy

Hey,

New member here... I'm looking to buy my first bike and looking for something in the 600-750 class. I live in Baltimore, MD and would prefer for it to be in the area but could always get the bike shipped here. The model of the bike doesn't matter that much; though the more fairings the bike has I think the better it looks. I am looking to spend about 3500.

Thanks,
Aaron

edited this post so title would be more correct, I am now looking at 500-600cc

·
Jerk
990 Posts
Jer has an R6 in Milwaukee, and is trying to sell it so he can get a R1. I'd say look into bikes from other states as well, just to get an idea of what bikes are going for and maybe get a better idea of what you like.

Tom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bikes I really want

Well as far as styling & looks this would be my preference of the 600cc bikes (best to worst)

R6
GSX-R
ZX-6
CBR

Another bike that I like is the SV650S, can anyone suggest some other bikes that have a little better styling and little more plastic between the front wheel and the rider?

Probably silly, but fr some reason that plastic almost makes me feel more safe. There's something between me and the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
600cc's too much?

alright... I read the article, I realize 600cc might be too much. I seriously think 250cc wouldn't be enough.

Is 500cc a more realistic starting bike?

Can anyone suggest any bikes around 500cc with good styling?

The Suzuki GS500E has been the only one i've really liked so far. Decent styling, reasonable price... Now I just need to find on in the area

Yamaha Seca II, GSF400 Bandit are two other good looking bikes close to my price range

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Suzuki GS500F is a brand new (styling) model. Its based on their tried and true GS500, but with new bodywork to resemble all the other Gixxers. You probably will need to buy a brand new one, if this is the bike you settle on, since the older ones look nothing like it. This may take it out of your price range. Along with the SV650, take a look at the Kawi 500 ninja or the ZZR600 (ZX6E). They have been around long enough that USED ones are available (strongly suggested) , and they are newbie friendly. The ZZR is an old tech 600 (~65 hp as opposed to 100+ for the ZX6R) Still great bikes...even for experienced riders!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a 99 GSXR600 that I am looking to get rid of to help pay for school for the upcoming year. I originally was asking 4500 but can move from that. Would you be interested at 4200? I would even be up for delivering the bike to you in MD for the cost of gas and travel expenses. Let me know...

My name is Ryan and you can contact me at 585-415-7042

Details on the bike:
99 GSXR600
8000 miles
blue/white
D&D Exhaust
Flush Mounts
New Dunlop 208 Take off's (~10 laps)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Koffee said:
Probably silly, but fr some reason that plastic almost makes me feel more safe. There's something between me and the road.
Actually, newbies and alot of plastic don't mix. You'd be better off on something naked, and plastics don't help much(if at all) in a crash as far as safety goes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
rthur002 said:
they can help save the frame or hard parts from being scratched, get frame sliders with whatever bike you get!
Saving the bike has NOTHING to do with RIDER safety.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Koffe what s up Man ,My name is Jake I have a very clean 2000 kawasaki ZR7 it is candy blue with 8000 miles.all service done 3100.00 OBO. Pics on request.I want a ZX-9 or litre bike 3000 to 4000 bucks.>jake in SA. Tx

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey, 01 gsxr600, almost brand new condition, black and yellow, bunch of stuff with it, PLUS ill give you ALL the gear you need, less the pants. jacket, helmet, gloves, and the bike. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
lol, now that i read over what i wrote, it looks like you get nothing. the only gear i dont have is the pants, but i am giving the bike, helmet, gloves, and jacket to whoever buys just the bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
rsvrick said:
The Suzuki GS500F is a brand new (styling) model. Its based on their tried and true GS500, but with new bodywork to resemble all the other Gixxers. You probably will need to buy a brand new one, if this is the bike you settle on, since the older ones look nothing like it. This may take it out of your price range. Along with the SV650, take a look at the Kawi 500 ninja or the ZZR600 (ZX6E). They have been around long enough that USED ones are available (strongly suggested) , and they are newbie friendly. The ZZR is an old tech 600 (~65 hp as opposed to 100+ for the ZX6R) Still great bikes...even for experienced riders!
Actually the zx6e/zzr is 83-85 True RWHP stock, (the zx6r didn't start producing 5hp more than the zx6e untill 01-02 and those are race modified) with a top speed of 155mph. The ZX6E was 1993 AMA championship bike and the fastest production 600cc bike for a lot of years following; the bike is no joke at all when it comes to proformance. The bike sits you a bit mroe upright which is nice for a beginner. Is steers very nicely as well. I took the M1 test on my zx6e and passed with flying colors. I was standing on the pegs and pretending I was going to stand on the seat and when I finished the test guys says "too easy, huh?." The poor old lady before me was on a little vespa looking scooter and on the clockwise turn went out of the circle and landed in the rose bushes.

I'd sell mine shipped for $3500, but you might be able to find one for a little cheaper closer to home. The zx6e is a bike I'd reccomend to anyone, experienced or not. One thing to look out for when buying one though, is some have 2nd gear problems and to fix it you have to slipt the case (rather expensive to do) and replace the forks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts