Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i crashed and sold my ninja 500, so for next season i'm looking at either the honda599 or the sv650s. i really want to move up to an inline-4 so the 599 is leading the way right now. However the sv650s is cheaper and it looks better, also has LOTS of aftermarket support and has a bit more of the sporty feel to it (which i really want, comming from a ninja500). which bike would you go with and why???

Derek

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd rather have the SV650.

What happened to your 500?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i lowslided and went into a ditch. didn't want to fix it up because it would be gone next season for either the 599 or sv650s

·
Registered
569 Posts
derK said:
i lowslided and went into a ditch. didn't want to fix it up because it would be gone next season for either the 599 or sv650s
Well, be careful, either of these bikes will be a noticeable step up in performance.

The 599 is a good motorcycle, but it seems to be a bit on the high side in terms of price for what it is. You really can't go wrong with the SV650.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i'll break down the pros/cons for both bikes IMO

599 - pros: -inline-4 motor (i'm the type of guy that loves the sudden burst of power and i LOVE the sound of a screaming inline-4

-big 5.5"rim to fit some nice rubber for more surface contact
-honda = trustworthy and reliable
-looks good
-F3 motor so we know it's a proven go getter motor

CONS - expensive for what you get
-banana seat
-not aggressive enough for my liking

sv650s PROS - v-twin power = useable street and track power
-looks good
-aftermarket support

CONS - as stated for the 599 i like the sudden burst of power and i don't care much for the sound of a v-twin
- probably not as comfortable
-sluggish suspension (from what i've read)

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you like the 599, why not just go and buy a used CBR600F3? Fundamentally the same bike just sportier. Really can't go wrong with either the 599 or the SV650S. I'd take an F3 first, then the SV, then the 599.

·
What are you looking at?
64 Posts
What's wrong with the FZ6 or the Triumph Speed 4? At my local Triumph dealer, I could get a leftover 2003 for $5600. That's cheaper than a new SV, plus you get suspension that is far superior to any of the other budget bikes, and a comparitively powerful engine. The S4 might be too much bike for someone without much experience though.

Also, if I had to make the choice between the SV and 599, I'd take the SV every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
475 Posts
agreed... if you were the retro type, i'd say the 599, but since you're looking for something a little more sporty, definately the SV. You don't see too many people racing an upright honda 599 these days...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 599 a couple weeks ago. I LOVE it! Very fun to drive, and very comfy!

For some reason, I wasn't really attracted to the looks of the SV...I liked the bulky look of the 599, it appeared 'meaner' to me.

·
Registered
569 Posts
derK said:
do the sv650s and the naked sv650 both run about the same times???
I think they're the same exact bike aside from the obvious visual differences and ergo adjustments.

·
Registered
987 Posts
SV Honda reliability for a sportbike is a oxymoron. The cars are relaibale but dont confuse the two. Personaly for a 600 I would get a R6. Few bikes come cloce in ease of use as long as you dont get crazy with it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Between the SV and 599....the SV wins by a long shot in my book.....but if you are looking for a solid 600cc inline-4 for a great price check out the FZ6. Easily the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I say you get another 500.....since ya crashed the first one, I doubt you're ready for the step up. JMHO

BTW, WHY THE FUCK does crashing a smaller bike ALWAYS lead to purchase of a b***** one? Obviously the skills aren't there to keep you from crashing the small bike.....let's get something we really can't handle. :lame

Sorry to go off in your post derk....but I've just seen this far to often to keep quiet any longer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i did outride that bike. I kept up with 600s through turns, my chicken strips were gone, and my pegs were grinded to the tits from hitting the pavement so often. I simply hit a patch of pebbles through my turn and went down. If i were a rich fool then yes i'd get another 500 or maybe 5 for that matter just for the hell of it, but i don't feel like shelling out the money for another one just to sell it again a year later.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
there is a sprocket tooth difference between the sv and svs. the naked model has a little more torque.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts