Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so obviousely new to riding, in fact havent rode more then a few days on a friends yzf6 , as of yet am im taking the msf course next week....Now i read all the threads here talkin about newbies starting on 600's and how a 250-500cc is more then enough for a newb to chew on and develop their skills etc. and i totally agree!!! I had previousely had my eyes set on a 600cc bike for stupid reasons of haveing heard people call anything less then 600cc's a girly bike, even to start on.
Ok so after reading around here i figured to hell with what everyone has been saying and to hell with what people will think of me if i dont meet their standards of manliness.....i dont know shit about bikes and im not gonna try to pretend i do by riding a big boy bike.....gotta crawl before you walk right?

alright so heres the deal though...This bike will be a commute bike. A commute that is about 45 miles one way, 21 of these miles will be through a stretch of windy up and down hill 2 lane highway. The remaining 20 miles or so will be another highway stretch which is 3-4 lanes but the average mph goes up about 15-20 mph from the previouse highway......both ways will be during prime rush hour traffic.
This stretch of windy hill highway im talking about is pretty sketchy for some people to drive in a car, and i know lots of people whos parents wouldnt let them drive it period until they had their dl's for a year!!! Accidents on this highway usually end up with someone going to the hospital or worse. You wont usually see the drivers pulled over exchanging info type deal.

So my concern is this. Will a 500cc bike have enough balls to get me out of sticky situations i might encouter during my commute? Will i be able to keep up with traffic at 80 mph on this bike? If im in the left lane going up a hill at 60 mph and the car in the right lane decides it want to cut over to my lane and does not see me, and theres a car on my ass preventing me from slowing dow to allow the car to my right to cut over, will a 500 have the balls to save my life?
Now ive seen guys give excuses for why they want a 600cc bike for a 1st ride and one of those excuses was

"But im a real responsible person and im just gonna take it easy and commute on it.....im not gonna go crazy on it, i will be safe"

Now when these people say they will be "safe" they mean they will not ride crazy and fuck around, but when i say "safe" i really mean i want something i can depend on to save my life while riding up a highway hill going around a turn which has a "45mph" sign posted and with cars averageing 60 mph on the side of me.

I was all set and had my eyes on the gs500f and i was telling my father in law about it this weekend and he was like "a 500?" and i said, yeah you know something small to start on and learn on....dont wanna get hurt or anything, and he replies "yeah but riding a 500 up that commute might be what gets you hurt"

and that really got me thinking, so id really like some input from you guys. If i do get a 600 i would most likely ride this commute a few times on like a sunday morning when traffic is scarse and do this a few times before riding to work in rush hour traffic.

Sorry for ramblin guys but i want to make a safe decision and when i think of a 500cc i keep thinking of Jim Carey and Jeff Daniels on that little sccoter in Dumb and Dumber with all the cars honkin at them to get outta the way! no offense to 500cc riders by the movie reference, but traffic up here in the bay area is no joke and if you cant keep up with the 75mph average on these highways youre gonna get honked at, flipped off, windshield washer squirted, or ran the f*ck off the road.

Once again sorry for ramblin.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

First off...your father in law doesn't know what he's talking about. Yes a 500 will get you out of the sticky situations that may arise as well have enough balls to keep you flowing with traffic.

I'd stick with a 500. If it's going to be mainly commuting any of the 500's would suit you well. You can drop the comparison of jim carrey and the scooter and a 500. Totally different. The 500 has enough balls to get you in alot of trouble as well.

Get the 500 and in year or so ask your father in law to go out riding in the twisties with you. I can almost gurantee you'll be leaving him in the dust :D

Again, welcome to the site. Best of luck in your decision, keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You'll be cool on a 500 CC bike. Mine is a thumper and will pull 80 ALL DAY, so like a parallel twin will have no problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Someone pointed out on GStwin.com, that unless you're very heavy, a GS500f will give you the power to weight ratio of an E36 M3 (the 90's model). Given that, I doubt you could argue with not being able to keep up with traffic unless you're surrounded by Z06's.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am a new rider too (actually, I've never even riden a bike yet but plan on taking MSF and buying a bike), so don't take my word as law, but I am pretty sure the Ninja 500R does 0-60 in under 5 seconds and the 1/4mile in around 13.5 seconds [edit: less than 13 seconds]. For a car, that is very good performance. Better than a Camaro SS, 350Z, C4 Corvettes, etc.... It will do fine getting you out of trouble. And when you do have to jump on the throttle quickly, it won't flip over if you twist your hand a little too far. The GS500 isn't quite as quick as the 500R, but it is fairly close.

Most long-time riders don't understand that even a Ninja 250R is pretty damn quick compared to 99% of the stuff on the road. Yeah, a 250R isn't as quick as a liter bike, but in the grand sceme on things, it's still pretty quick.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree...my Ninja 250 turns out to be quicker than I expected. You do have to rev it up a bit, but once you do, it's one fun bike to learn on. From what I hear, it's a fun bike for experienced folks too.

BTW, who do you study BJJ with?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Agreed. I used my bike for like 5 mins. When it got upto 8000+ RPM in any gear....that damn thing turns into a missle.
:cheers

shamster said:
I agree...my Ninja 250 turns out to be quicker than I expected. You do have to rev it up a bit, but once you do, it's one fun bike to learn on. From what I hear, it's a fun bike for experienced folks too.

BTW, who do you study BJJ with?

·
Registered
910 Posts
SHort answer, Yes.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
MAD_CAT said:
Agreed. I used my bike for like 5 mins. When it got upto 8000+ RPM in any gear....that damn thing turns into a missle.
HAHAHA you compared a ninja 250 to a missle :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board!! Starting off on a 500 cc is a good choice. But always remember, you could be riding a 50 cc and get hurt/killed. You will learn that you will spend less time worrying about your riding skill and more time worrying about the assholes you share the road with. Just know your surroundings ( intersections, and people pulling out of side streets ) and be aware, gravel is everywhere, including the middle of road and intersections and just not on the shoulder of the road. Be safe dude and enjoy!!!

P.S. I see you have the username with Pitbull in it?? are you a Pitbull enthusiast??? I have 2

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Well for me anyways. I noticed I got over the speed limit way to fast and let off the gas. My car is fast, but not this fast. I loved every second i was on. Can't wait for my insurance to go through and get the plates.

Spike said:
HAHAHA you compared a ninja 250 to a missle :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys! that is a relief to hear all the confidence in a 500cc.....i was kinda intimidated at the idea of starting on a 600 after reading all the warnings here but wouldve have done it if i got responses telling me it would be safer.

SHAMSTER ive trained BJJ at a lot of places, under Claudio Franca who is a 4th degree Black Belt Under Francisco Mansor who is a 9th degree under Helio Gracie.....also trained at American Kickboxing Academey under Dave Camarillo....now i train at one of Charles Gracie academeys.

mj31 - BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a martial art in which all fighting takes place on the ground useing submission holds to beat your oponent. PitBull symbolizes aggressiveness and pound for pound strength, and also that all the fights take place on the ground. So the PitBull in the name is a reference to the martial art in which i train. But i do however love the breed and have owned them in the past.....all the pits ive owned were the most lovable dogs and really went against the stereo-type.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
BJJ PitBull said:
thanks guys! that is a relief to hear all the confidence in a 500cc.....i was kinda intimidated at the idea of starting on a 600 after reading all the warnings here but wouldve have done it if i got responses telling me it would be safer.

SHAMSTER ive trained BJJ at a lot of places, under Claudio Franca who is a 4th degree Black Belt Under Francisco Mansor who is a 9th degree under Helio Gracie.....also trained at American Kickboxing Academey under Dave Camarillo....now i train at one of Charles Gracie academeys.

mj31 - BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, a martial art in which all fighting takes place on the ground useing submission holds to beat your oponent. PitBull symbolizes aggressiveness and pound for pound strength, and also that all the fights take place on the ground. So the PitBull in the name is a reference to the martial art in which i train. But i do however love the breed and have owned them in the past.....all the pits ive owned were the most lovable dogs and really went against the stereo-type.
+1 on the pitbulls, You do the martial arts that the Gracie brothers do right?? I guess I'll keep a eye out for you on the U.F.C.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mj31 said:
+1 on the pitbulls, You do the martial arts that the Gracie brothers do right?? I guess I'll keep a eye out for you on the U.F.C.
Yeah its the same thing...all created by the Gracies. UFC? not for me dude....i got a wife, 2 kids, and rent to pay so it would be hard to find the time to train for a show like that.....i plan on fighting in at least 1 amatuer show though within the next 2 years....Theres KOTC in Nevada, WEC here in nor-cal, pretty much all the UFC fighters start in these smaller shows. I just wanna get 1 fight in for the experience and then see what happens from there.

Just went to the motorcycle dealor to try on a gs500 but they didnt have any, but they did have a ex500 in candy red! looked sweet and i almost called my co-signer to come down so i could buy that bike, but i figured id wait till next week when they get a gs500 so i could see both bikes side to side and make a better decision......dont wanna get the ninja only to see the gs a week later and decide i like its looks better. Then the guy tried to tell me i should get at least a 600 even for a 1st bike but i told him i wasnt interested in a 600 yet.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
It's about time you came!
:popcorn :cheers

toolowsol said:
Hi madcat :bitchslap

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cool! Always glad to talk to another student of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

I train under David Adiv, who is Royler Gracie's black belt rep in the US. Haven't been training too long, but I love it and try to go as much as possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Then the guy tried to tell me i should get at least a 600 even for a 1st bike but i told him i wasnt interested in a 600 yet.
When I went in to my local Suzuki dealer and told them I was a new rider looking for a first bike the guy tried to sell me on a Busa! Gave me the reason "Why spend your money on something you'll outgrow in a year or two?" Glad I read those Start small articles.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
good choice on waiting for the GS. It looks 10 times better, much more modern and clean.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
i rode my step brother's ninja 250 all the time on back country roads in Pennsylvania, probably had over 500 miles on it, and it was very fast. its a great learner bike. but i decided buy an r6 as my own first bike, because i figured i had enough experiance for it, and because it took him over a year to sell it because nobody wanted anything under 600cc

1 - 20 of 45 Posts