Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i recently purchased a 2001 500 and im needing new tires pretty bad....anyone know if i can fit a fatter back tire on it? it currently has 110/70 -17 on front tire and 130/70 - 17 on rear tire any thoughts would help alot . P.S i am planning on driving this bike for one more month and then sellin it if anyone is intrested on here i would let it go pretty cheap
"1998 r1 in the works"

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
You miiiight be able to upgrade the rear tire...but I wouldn't. It's gonna throw the suspension geometry off on the bike and mainly, that fatter tire is going to reduce your leaning/cornering abilities... So unless you're doing drag launches all the time....wider is only going to hurt you basically. These bikes don't need any wider than stock tires....they don't have the power to need fatter ones. But the factory tires DO lick balls, so your best bet would be to just keep the same size but upgrade to a better brand tire.

Metzeler makes some tires in those sizes:

http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/product_info/catalogo/scheda.asp?ID=145&idCat=12&nome=ME_330/550

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thanks, what about changing the tires yourself?? i checked into gettin the local bikes shops to mount/ balance them and price was 50 bucks per tire....seemed kinda high to me, found a couple "how to's" online for changing your own tire but wanted to know if anyone does their own on here and how hard it is etc...
TIA

·
Registered
584 Posts
do a search. I think I've seen some threads about DIY tire changes. From what I recall, it's not recommended to do yourself, as it's really hard to balance it by yourself.

Common recommendation was to take off the old tire and take just thew wheel and the new tire to the shop. That should save on the cost

·
Registered
151 Posts
Filip75 said:
do a search. I think I've seen some threads about DIY tire changes. From what I recall, it's not recommended to do yourself, as it's really hard to balance it by yourself.

Common recommendation was to take off the old tire and take just thew wheel and the new tire to the shop. That should save on the cost
I've tried to change a rear bike tire by myself before. We spent 3 hours trying to get the tire bead off, eventually resorting to cutting the tire open and still couldn't get it off. We ended up just taking the tire to the tire shop and had them pop off the tire and throw a new one on for $15.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
jmsblk500r: thinking about building a 500r racebike? It would be tons of fun, and you can get VERY creative with them!

Also, if you spread the swingarm about a 1/4" you can fit a 150 rear in there with no clearance issue, this has been done by a few racers I know with great success. Also you can fit a 140 in there without any kind of modifications which has been proven to be an improvement for track ready 500r's. But since you are selling it just throw the stock size tire on there, or leave it how it is and sell it to jmsblk500r so he can build a racebike :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there are a couple pics under my vbgarage...its in good shape as far as i can tell besides the fact that it has 2 slick tires lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope.......i just bought it to drive back and forth to work <60 mile round trip> only had it a couple months, havent done anything besides tighten the chain and put gas in it.
from the sound of the bike i would say that someone took the baffles out the mufflers , but havent looked yet

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to get new tires for my 500. I was wondering if anybody has heard anything good about the Prielli Speed Demon tires? The treads are awsome. Or is Dunlop or Metzeler better?

·
Registered
2 Posts
pirelli sport demon tire

I have a pirelli sport demon tire on the rear of my bike and i LOVE IT. It corners significantly better then the stock tire and just is a 100 times better in my opinion.

·
Wish I were a Leesta too
2,774 Posts
Better late than never, so...... you don't need to spread the swingarm to fit a 150 in there. it fits just fine. you may have to bend one of the chain guide tabs a little bit but thats it. i'm running Sportec M1's in sizes 150/60/17 and 120/65/17 on mine and they do not hinder cornering performance in the least. there is a slightly heavier feel in the bars at low speeds and thats it. once you're moving you can't notice any difference except that it rails the corners so much better with newer, better, wider rubber on there. new tires are probably the best money you can spend on this bike to help its handling. Pilot Powers also come in the above sizes and get rave reviews.

Bobby

1 - 18 of 18 Posts