Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am falling in love. It's still scary and sometimes before I get ready to ride I think "maybe I should take the car", but then the wind hits me and it's all over. My steering is getting much better and I am getting better control of the wind. Yesterday, for example, the wind got so bad I had to get out of my seat and lean hella over just to go straight, but the point is that I did it! I am starting to worry about the 600 mile check up since I won't have her for that time; I am hoping they will be fast about it.

I ordered a givi bag so I can carry my bookbag to class and then store my gear while in school. I'm pretty excited and it should be here in a week or so. I'll miss the expressions I get when I go down the street with my hello kitty backpack strapped to the bike, but my shoulders will be thankful.

My gloces started to hurt today something horrid. I have narrow hands with long fingers, so the gloves were hitting my finger tips and making them tingle. I also started to get a crease in the palm that was hurting. They were 60 bucks but didn't have any armor, and the leather was thin. So I took a stop at a ducati dealership on the way home and picked up a pair of schoellers, they best gloves I have ever tried on. They are also the most expensive unfortunately. I tossed my cheapo gloves the minute I put the new ones on. Even though I spent good money for the other gloves, the minute I put on the new ones I realized just how poor quality my others were. I am feeling kind of guilty about the cash, but dang my hands felt so much better and I have better control, even my death grip is lessoned. So far so good. I have also decided that I hate my textile jacket, so a new ;eather one is on the way. It dips in the back so my back will be covered finally. My pants are perfect so at least I got something right.

The oddest thing happened yesterday, when I put my helmet on the liner bunched up and by the time I got home, I had a head ache and a nasty mark across my head. I wore a silk scarf today and the liner didn't bunch up anymore. Overall, I am learning a lot with each ride and see improvement each time I get on the bike. I'm actually going the speed limit on the freeway finally, so the little old ladies have stopped passing me and I've had to start watching the odometer :lol

life is very good :)

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Great news Fizzy!!!! Saddletime is all it takes, or so they say anyway!!!! :)
Just so you know, on my 600 mile mark for my R6, we changed the oil ourselves rather than paying the dealer. Also, the manual tells you everything that needs to be checked. Maybe consider doing it yourself with the help of a mechanically inclined friend...it's great knowledge, cheaper, you are not without your bike and you don't have to worry about someone else touching your bike!!! Just food for thought. Also, we run Yamalube R4 (oil), it's worked great for us. We used to use the Yamaha oil filters too but since we go to the track now we use K&N, but that's mainly because of the hole in the nut for safety wire! :)
Great job girlie!!!! Keep on riding!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wow, great job!! Thumbs up!!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like your doing a bang up job. You'll get used to the wind, trust me. I don't like it either. At 112 lbs the smallest gust kicks my arse all over the place. Kinna like semi's! EEESH! Can't stand um. I had to get used to um quick! I just went down to Florida by myself on the bike and with in the hour, I could of given a hoot about the semi's.

As for the oil change. Don't go to the stealership to get it done. They'll charge ya an arm and a leg for something that you can do yourself in 30 mins. And besides, it's really good experience for you to do those things yourself. You get to know your bike personnaly...:)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone with the dealership and they told that that if I do my own maintenance it won't affect the warranty!!! I'm going to try to go to doc wongs clinic on bike maintenance this week, since this is my first check I wanna make sure I do it right.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Girl, it is so easy...make sure bike is warm (turn engine off), pull drain plug, drain oil into pan, remove oil filter. Replace drain plug (do not over torque it....guilty here!) Oh, and I also clean the plug off with a lint free cloth before putting it back on. Take new oil filter out of container. Open quart of new oil. Dip finger in and rub oil around seal of new oil filter. Insert oil filter and tighten until snug. Again, do not over tighten. Refill engine with proper amount of oil (check owner's manual) and you are finished!
Make sure to put old oil in a proper container (old milk jugs work great) for disposal. Most garbage companies will pic up old oil off the curb with your other trash as long as you identify it as oil on the outside of the container.
Now you know how...just go do it!!!! :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blndebmbr said:
Also, the manual tells you everything that needs to be checked. Maybe consider doing it yourself with the help of a mechanically inclined friend...
The oil change is pretty straight forward, it is the other stuff that I am worried about. The service manual tells what to check but not what to check for... I could look at a bad part and totally think it is fine. I am looking for bike mechanics for dummies but alas, they don't have one. I think the class will help but a book would be nice.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
they actually do publish "dummy" books for Motorcycles......

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually have that book but the maintenance chapter stinks :( I think I need a picture book or a pat the bunny style manual :lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts