Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to get a little pit bike for stunting. I haven't rode a real 50 in years(buddy had a Z50), and I don't want Chinese crap. I know they've come along way and there not that bad but Im Honda Loyal.

So has anyone rode comparable years 50 and 70? Is the frame alot stiffer on the 70? Is the shock much stiffer? Like can I get away with just spings on the 70? Im about 5'11 210lbs. I was expecting to buy full suspension on the 50 from 50stunt and raise it up an inch and get the rear pegs and handbrake kit, the stunt stuff and just springs are avail for the 70's, and obviously the aftermarket for the 50 is way b*****. Ive been trying to find a site that explains the bare bones differences between the two but I couldn't. Ive just been comparing stuff on Honda.ca. There's many pro's to the 50 especially the small size and storage but the 70 is tempting because its b***** and its only a few hundred more bucks.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Dude, you really should seriously look at some of the Chinese pit bikes.

I have an SSR-90R, and for what I've got into it, it would absolutely smoke a CR-50 in every way imaginable...and I've spent less than a grand on it total. Are there Honda 50s that could hang with it??? Hell yah, but they've got about 3 times the money put into their "high quality" Honda...

Head on over to planet-minis.com, or thumpertalk.com and visit the pitbikes section. Both of those places should have all of the answers that you are looking for.

But seriously man, check into the Chinese stuff...it's a good starting point, and after you've put hundreds of dollars into the Honda 50, you'll still be getting killed by kids on less expensive "Chinese crap." Besides, after you've started modding even a Honda 50...when you're done, none of the original Honda shit is there anyways, other than some stickers...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well I was planning on keeping the Frame stock. And Ive checked stuff out. There's some guy's around Toronto that have killer deals. They build the bikes themselves all from aftermarket stuff. Like a 110cc with a 4spd, one down 3 up, trick frame, clutch, oil cooler, electric start the whole 9 yards for around $900 Page 1 But I was planning on keeping it pretty stock and just screwing around and doing wheelies on it. Just suspension and a heavy duty auto cluch with rear pegs and a handbrake. No offroading with it. And even though the little Honda's aren't made in Japan( I think little CRF's and Rebels are made by kymco in Taiwan), better quality components are used. All the little bolts and bearings add up. Kind of the reason there still $600-900 used. But im still kind of in a dillemma when $900 will get me so much in the new pitbike market but in the used CRF market you get a few year old stock bike some kid rode around on a trail with. I saw the pics of your bike in your post a while back and its pretty sick still. Nice and tall, not all dinky pocketbikeish. Ive never rode a big displacement pit bike. Only small stuff Ive rode are mopeds, scooters and little xr50's and CT70's.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Well, there are a few Chinese brands that are pretty good quality.

Pitster Pro and SSR are two of the brands right off the top of my head.

For just messing around doing wheelies and such, probably anything would really work. I know what you mean about wanting the Honda...I was REALLY reluctatnt to buy the Chinese product...but the quality of it is pretty good. There's some things you need to double check before you seriously ride it, but they are things that would NORMALLY be done by a dealership...and with the Chinese bikes YOU are the "dealership."

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
First of all you can get a fully setup stunt 50 for less than $900. Just look in the used market. For stunting the 50 is probably the best platform as there are so many parts. I have a couple of 50's and just ordered a Pitster Pro X4 Motard (street legal). Pitster is having some really good deals for the end of the year if you call them. Like the xjr90 motard can be had for $849 shipped if they still have any. Again though for stunting you may want a Honda but some of the Chinese bikes like SSR and Pitster do get pretty good reviews (although they are more designed for off-road and racing). Mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't offer any comparisons.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Dude, that X4 Motard is hot man. I love the light setup on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts