Sport Bikes banner

50 hp from a cam?

2K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  snigg 
#1 ·
A local guy claims that his 93' CBR 600 F2 puts out "around" 150 at the wheel because of a "cam" he "put" in it. Is this even possible? He was also ranting about how riding a wheelie shows you know how to control your machine and how he has way more experience than most GP riders because he rode dirtbikes for a few years. Bear in this guy also has a Vance Hines pipe and 54 tooth rear.

#2 ·
i know a guy who claims his f4 puts down 152 with a small shot of juice, and that it will SMOKE my buddies r1 that has 185+ at the wheel, and my buddy's a good rider.

he claims he weighted his f4 at something around 500 lbs, and the r1 weighs around 420 or so. hmm.....

#4 ·
Zippy said:
A local guy claims that his 93' CBR 600 F2 puts out "around" 150 at the wheel because of a "cam" he "put" in it. Is this even possible? He was also ranting about how riding a wheelie shows you know how to control your machine and how he has way more experience than most GP riders because he rode dirtbikes for a few years. Bear in this guy also has a Vance Hines pipe and 54 tooth rear.
impossible. youre talking about a 50% horsepower increase from a cam swap. that cam would have to allow the engine to rev to rpm's that the rest of the internals cant handle. i build big inch race automotive engines that have huge cylinder heads and high compression, and id kill for a cam that gives a 50% increase. it just aint happening on a small displacement engine, or any other for that matter. for those types of increases, nitrous is the answer.

#5 ·
Hummmm, so he's got more experience than the guys who have been racing since they were 6 years old huh? Give your friend a big pimp slap for me, and NO is F2 is not putting anywhere near 150 to the crank, much less the rear wheel. Unless along with that came he has a turbo or a huge shot of nitrous. I hate people who lie about the things they have.

#9 ·
mgranzow said:
i know a guy who claims his f4 puts down 152 with a small shot of juice, and that it will SMOKE my buddies r1 that has 185+ at the wheel, and my buddy's a good rider.

he claims he weighted his f4 at something around 500 lbs, and the r1 weighs around 420 or so. hmm.....

Would this 185 rear wheel horsepower R1 rider happen to have a dyno chart laying around someplace. I would like to see that...

#11 ·
ZXLNT said:
Would this 185 rear wheel horsepower R1 rider happen to have a dyno chart laying around someplace. I would like to see that...
i call bullshit on those figures unless using a fogger system on the R1. teh F2 or F3 bullshit is a joke. one you need 2 cams not just one and just cause it got a set of cams it will need adquate head flow and jetting along with a good exhaust to make everything work right

#12 · (Edited)
ZXLNT said:

yes, he does. i've seen it. its a graves superbike engine (stroked, cams, ported/polished head, higher compressions), with graves TI full exhaust, and some other little goodies. it straight whomps my 160hp gsxr1000.

i wish i could produce the chart, but my friend tells everyone that it only has a slipon, he wants to keep it quiet. but listening to the thing you can clearly tell its more than a full exhaust on it.

#15 ·
mgranzow said:
yes, he does. i've seen it. its a graves superbike engine (stroked, cams, ported/polished head, higher compressions), with graves TI full exhaust, and some other little goodies. it straight whomps my 160hp gsxr1000.

i wish i could produce the chart, but my friend tells everyone that it only has a slipon, he wants to keep it quiet. but listening to the thing you can clearly tell its more than a full exhaust on it.

Well since you've spilled the beans on it. Lets see that chart...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.