Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went and put two new wheels on my 97 Mustang GT trying to solve this shakey and vibration problem. Old wheels had a warp and I was told it could not be balanced. The new wheels did nothing.

I passed a car lot with a red, 9/10 clean 2000 Trans Am with LS1, stock everything and rebuilt tranny. They want 4,900. I have the money to buy it outright. it has 165K miles on it. AUTO tranny BTW. car pulls SOOOO hard. I test drove it. Smooth idle, not even an alignment problem. pop up lights work. blinker needs fixed and the button for the shifter but as i said 9/10 clean. Black Leather interior.

My car has ~170K miles on it. Heard the 4.6 in the mustang with mustang Cam / heads / etc is only good for 200K miles. STILL this trans am is only 3 years newer than my car, it IS a 13 year old car and a v8...

I am itching for something new really bad, my car might bring in $3k at the most in its condition.

I dont know what to do. Maybe i should go buy a cobolt or something good on gas. I really DONT want to make payments on a car. The money I have been saving is to get a place to live but I can stay where I am as long as I like. Ive not even factored in my $1K tax return.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Sounds like you want to get rid of the sports car that is 13 years old with 170k miles on it for a sports car that is 13 years old with 170k miles on it.....

You might be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Most of my friend that own a trans am or firebird for a daily drive has had nothing but problems. If you want a nice car that has some decent speed and it reliable look into the subaru impreza wrx.

Personally I would say get a early model civic and bank the money for a rc8 or other exotic down the road.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'd do it.

Owning the car outright means that you can afford the odd repair here and there while others have a monthly car payment.

There's something to be said about enjoying what you drive.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
i loved the Mustangs and some Camaros/Trans-Ams back in the day but damn, those make the worst used cars to buy. Unless you really love them, adn it sounds like you dont, you should just get a new Ford Focus or Hyundai or something else reliable. Get a second motorcycle if you have an itch for fun.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats what I thought about doing but the return % was going to be like 200$ a year? I looked at an Impreza today. 2006, rebuilt title, minor rear end dmg but looks good now. 80K miles 5K$

·
freetors
640 Posts
Thats what I thought about doing but the return % was going to be like 200$ a year? I looked at an Impreza today. 2006, rebuilt title, minor rear end dmg but looks good now. 80K miles 5K$
FWIW, I used to own an '02 WRX. I bought it with ~136k miles. It had an intake exhaust and an accessport tune on it, typical "stage 2" stuff. I improved on the cobb tune by using their program that lets you modify all the ECU tables. It was repainted while I owned it, not greatly, but it was a good 10 footer. I sold it with nearly 190k miles for $7000. It was an extremely dependable car with only minor issues that popped up.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
That's funny because most of those extremely high milage cars you see (over 200k miles) are those "pos japanese cars." I just read an article not too long ago about a guy surpassing 500K miles on his mid '90's Accord. So please tell me again how unreliable those pos japanese cars are.
Your sarcasm detector is broken.

PhilB

P.S. Kind of funny that I found this thread right next to the one started by the same OP about how terrible it is that modern tech enables people to survive bad decisions.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Your sarcasm detector is broken.

PhilB

P.S. Kind of funny that I found this thread right next to the one started by the same OP about how terrible it is that modern tech enables people to survive bad decisions.
Yup you're right, it is. :facepalm <-- To myself

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
option 2.

2001 Black Mustang GT with 130K miles. 5K$ obo. going to look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont trust my car on long trips now. so If i drive it until it actually blows up. I can sell it for $500.... if i sell it now i can get ~3K

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Find any Honda product with a 2.3L and a five speed. I don't think they are the best built motor, they just seem like they come in cars that teenagers don't want. After years of Honda ownership, I think Subaru's sound unreliable.

Side note: I have no idea how reliable their automatics are (that's why I recommended the stick shift). My wife had a civic ex and a TSX with slushboxes, but both were pretty new when she had them.

Edit 2 - My friend has a '93 Camaro as a beater. He's had it for five years. It's cheap to fix and seems to eat up valve cover gaskets and fuel pumps. That said, it's fairly reliable for a 20 year old car. His is a 3.4. He also bought it for $800.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with daily driving a trans am. Mine puts down just shy of 600 horsepower and still gets close to 24mpg on the highway(auto car). I don't have any issues with it, and its 100% reliable. I would drive this thing any day over some POS honda or any jap car at all.

The 4.6 is not that great of a motor. It takes a ton of money to get then to put down any serious kind of power, and their fuel mileage is sub par IMO.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am a fan of the 4.6L its used in most police cars and taxi cabs and they really take a beating as far as I can tell. I am getting 24MPG max out of mine with AUTO.

I would say in most cases where the car is maintained and not abused the 4.6L will outlast the other parts of the car and you'd sell the car over non motor related issues. same for the LSX and Nissan VG/VQ / KA / SR motors. I cant say the same for other companies but I know that honda prelude has a really reliable engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts