Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was towin her home, 2 straps around the trees and 2 on the rear pegs. First one broke on the right front about 120 miles into the trip. Reloaded and resumed. 4 miles from my house, second strap broke and she went down on the trailer. Purely cosmetic, but sux none the less.

On the good side, she'll look sweet after her winter makeover :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
That really sucks. The good part however is that accidents are always reason for modification and personalization. I smell a custom paint job in order.

The moral of the story - always be over-cautious, well prepared, and try to escape the worst. If the worst happens, make something good out of it and keep smiling.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
how did you mount the straps on the trees? If you had mounted them to run under the fairing between the top and middle triple, that shouldn't have happened.

either way, sucks to your bike fall over, but seriously, next time, run the soft ties between the trees under the fairing.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I wrap my straps around the trees with the hook past the body work. I always use ratchet straps on the front with a wheel chock.

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Upon further inspection,....

I now realize I'm a flippin idiot. I took the straps around the tops of the trees, and outside the side rails of the trailer. If I didn't, it would have rubbed a nice mark into the side fairings. Squid mistake. They were ratchet straps, and they both broke about 3 inches from the ratchet, heavily frayed. They weren't the heaviest straps I could have used, hence the title of the thread.

and ooooooooh yes, she's getting some nice work this winter. Probably finish out the season as is.....

Got an LED lighting kit waitin to go on, new upper, can and windscreen when I figure out what I wanna do with the paint. I'm open for suggestions. (pearl and metallics are most likely out, I'm not that good with a gun yet) Might try those colored tires, but I don't know how sticky they are. I'm just gonna keep lookin at ya'lls pics to get some ideas (just ideas, i ain't no copycat).....

Edit: Shitty thing is I hauled her from Raliegh to Pittsburgh absolutely fine, bout 500+ miles. She went down on a 200 mile trip. :angry

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
that sucks, you have a good attitude about it though.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
I recently had to bring my GSXR back to my warehouse 50 miles after a blowout on the highway. Used 8 tiedowns from Walmart and a front wheel tie down made for dirt bikes in the back of a semi and the thing didn't move.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts