Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Nice looking dog. Dalmatian and whatever. The pictures give the impression that she's pretty laid-back.

Hope she enjoys the new home!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's not full grown yet, but I suspect she'll remain "petite", being abandoned in the street at such tender age won't help with the size. Also shedding A LOT, and her spots are not clearly defined on the coat, as if it was old hair, probably due to malnutrition she hadn't shedded before winter.

Either way, I'm feeding her Costco food, which turns out to be the best dog food around here, and also an egg to increase her protein intake.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Beautiful dog. My newest dog is a rescue as well. With all the animals out there that need homes I have a feeling all my future animals will be rescues. My newest one is part rat terrier, part cartoon.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If that dog is a dalmatian the shedding will never end. Short haired dogs shed constantly.
If you are in Illinois and your dogs are shedding in the winter time they are not seeing enough of the outside. They need to build their winter coats. I'm not saying they should be out in brutal weather but in early winter they should be spending some good amount of time outside. Minimize that shedding.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful dog. My newest dog is a rescue as well. With all the animals out there that need homes I have a feeling all my future animals will be rescues. My newest one is part rat terrier, part cartoon.
Thanks, she is pretty and petite! I couldn't agree more, with so many dogs abandoned in the streets I can't support the breeders. The whole pet shop industry is disgusting, they are not toys, they are not accessories. Around here May-June is the perfect season to adopt a dog, it's after 4-6 months that stupid people that got them as toys for their kids realize they need care, attention, grooming and that the 10 pound bag of dog food ends up transforming in 10 pounds of dog poop.

If that dog is a dalmatian the shedding will never end. Short haired dogs shed constantly.
That's bad news... Well, I guess I should start getting myself a nice assortment of dog brushes. Any recommendations?

If you are in Illinois and your dogs are shedding in the winter time they are not seeing enough of the outside. They need to build their winter coats. I'm not saying they should be out in brutal weather but in early winter they should be spending some good amount of time outside. Minimize that shedding.
More bad news, here we don't have a harsh winter, today I went walk the dog in t-shirt, shorts and sandals. I guess that means the shedding will be epic.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
cute pup. I can't wait for the day that I'm financially stable enough to go pick up a rescue. I really want my son to have a puppy and it's something that'll keep me company while he's not here, but I just can't justify the added monthly costs right now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My dogs won't go hardly go out if it is raining. They are spoiled.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My dogs love the cold, they have thick coats.
Not being critical of anyone here at all but many people fail to understand that dogs are made to be outside. This is how they develop their winter coats. I don't mean that dogs should be left out 24/7 but several hours a day except in the worse conditions.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Nice looking pup. I love hearing about rescues.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Registered
905 Posts
Not being critical of anyone here at all but many people fail to understand that dogs are made to be outside. This is how they develop their winter coats. I don't mean that dogs should be left out 24/7 but several hours a day except in the worse conditions.
So you think I should leave my 8 pound and 14 pound short haired dogs outside?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm having a lot of fun, I'm tired and it can be frustrating at times...

No matter what I do I can't get her tired, the energy level of that dog is amazing. I got her a backpack and even with 2 watter bottles of 1 quart she doesn't get tired, after a 1 hour walk when we got back home she was thirsty, but ready to keep playing. 2 quarts of water, about 4 pounds, is about as much as a dog her weight should have in the backpack. I was expecting German Shepherd level of energy, but this one is amazing.

I saw something in the park that might be a good idea... A dog "towing" a tire! I kid you not, that dog had a harness and it was pulling the tire around. I'm pretty sure that will take care of that extra energy.

The plan was to ride my bicycle with the dog, but I'm sure she'll pull me down...

From dogbreedinfo.com

Dalmatian Information and Pictures, Dalmatians, Fire Dog

They will not do well left out in the yard all day and have been known to dig crater-size holes when done so.
I just went to watch the game at a friend's place. Came back home to find one of my lemon cedars in the floor and dirt all over the place.

Might have something to do with her separation anxiety, which has been getting better, but still need a lot of work on that.

but without proper human to dog alpha communication where the human clearly tells the dog that he is not in charge and fighting is an unwanted behavior, they may become aggressive with strange dogs.
Oh yeah, I have to watch out for dogs so I can correct her as she starts to get excited. But sometimes she just snaps, then I have to block her...

And it's not just dogs, it's dogs, cats and delivery motorcycles... Mailman will hate me.

Quite intelligent, but can be willful if they sense their owners are in the slightest bit meek or passive, and/or if the owner is not properly communicating with the dog.
She is always pushing the limits...

Generally does well with firm, consistent training. The Dalmatian is trainable to a high degree of obedience.
Doing fine, she won't go into the house, already sits and plays fetch... In 3 days.

I'll have to figure out a way to get her to burn all that energy. I'm thinking of a treadmill.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tired doggy is tired!

Looked at doggy treadmills and they are big money... So I was worried about what I could do, and decided to try my luck with the bicycle. It went WAY better than expected! I need a short leash, but she behaved remarkably well, ran all the time besides me as if I were walking!

Little traffic, ran on the street, will keep doing this for a while until she really gets the hang out of it. Then I'll venture to go farther

It's 1/4 mile each way, doing the loop 6 times at a brisk pace, with her doggy backpack twice a day should burn some energy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts