Sport Bikes banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
TN/CO/CA

just endless different styles of roads to ride...

but i guess realistically i can settle for TN/GA/NC/SC/KY

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Tennessee - I ride there a lot, and the Gap is one of the worst roads I have found. Too many LEOs and nut cases trying to play speed racer. Fun to run a few times and then move on to better things. The Cherohala Skyway is a infinitely better road, and offers scenery to boot. Lots of good riding in TN. They don't know how to make roads straight there (thankfully)

North Carolina - the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway is absolutely my favorite ride of all times. Lots of good backroads in NC too.

California - I have driven there a lot, never ridden. The PCH would be a top pick, as would Yosemite. The road into Yosemite has to be one of the curviest roads in America. The wife consistently got car sick on that one...

Ok. I need more than three :D

Arizona - Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and Sedona

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
where ya located...?^^^ Im just east of Nashville...

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
where ya located...?^^^ Im just east of Nashville...
Huntsville, AL. I ride local a lot, but for most of my hobbies I head to TN/NC. I whitewater kayak too, although I don't go enough to be very good at it. I find that the camping and boating there to be much better than here. We don't really have much whitewater unless we get a huge rain...

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
ahh thats cool.... i hear ya there... we go kayaking as well... have to get together and plan some rides and whitewater trips... :beer stop by and make a presence in the TN section and post any rides or trip ideas you have planned for 09...

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
AZ/TN/VA
I put AZ 1st because you can ride year round, there are great mountains out there and there are TONS of bikes.
TN..well, the Snake, the Gap and all those roads in between....make life so great
VA surprised me, beautiful scenery, you can ride mnts, or coast and never get board.

...I move too much lol.

·
The American Stig!
317 Posts
1) Western NC. I grew up in NC, and logged a LOT of miles there, and still find new things every time I go.

2) California. That state is beauty at every turn, and PCH is a blast.

3) SW Wisconsin. Yeah, I'm serious. After living here for a few years, I found out just how gorgeous it can be, not to mention the twisties! He really do have some incredible roads here, and all in a very close proximity. I've left my house at 6am, and not returned until well after 10pm, almost never crossed a main highway, and rode no more than a handful of miles on straight roads. This is also done in less than a 60 mile radius from where I was living(moved to central WI now).

·
Registered
278 Posts
1) 3) SW Wisconsin. Yeah, I'm serious. After living here for a few years, I found out just how gorgeous it can be, not to mention the twisties! He really do have some incredible roads here, and all in a very close proximity. I've left my house at 6am, and not returned until well after 10pm, almost never crossed a main highway, and rode no more than a handful of miles on straight roads. This is also done in less than a 60 mile radius from where I was living(moved to central WI now).

As a new rider I'm starting to look for the best twisties around and I find myself driving north to your neck of the woods more and more. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll be heading toward WI-33. I hear that's a great one.

·
It wasn't me
3,508 Posts
As a new rider I'm starting to look for the best twisties around and I find myself driving north to your neck of the woods more and more. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll be heading toward WI-33. I hear that's a great one.
Take it easy on that TL. That thing's a monster.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah, I should change that. The TL is gone (for $1K more than I paid for it!) and has been replaced by a Speed Triple and a Daytona 600. The Speed Triple was the first thing that caught my eye after selling the TL, then a guy traded me the Daytona for a TRX400EX I was trying to sell for $2K, couldn't pass that up. I'm hoping to sell them both to get a shiny new 1000RR before spring.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Also, rural MD and WV mountains, another combo you can do in one day.
MD has a lot more riding than people realize. You take Rt 2 (Solomons Island Rt 2) south of Annapolis for about 15-20 miles and you can hit some serious back country, mostly farmland and VERY curvy. The western mountains are excellent. A lot of people near here also like the souther part of the Eastern Shore (near Ocean City), that is a lot of curvy farmland as well. And to put icing on the cake when you are done through the farmland on the Eastern Shore you can hit Ocean City and cruise the beach.

·
Registered
133 Posts
New Mexico has some awsome roads just north of Albuquerque and up around Santa Fe. Turquoise trail is a nice ride full of bikers but up Hwy 550 into the Jemez mountians is probably my favorite. There are tons of natural hot springs up there to relax in after a long ride. Plus there is no better way to impress a girl than to take her on a motorcycle ride up into the moutians to take a dip in some hot springs in the middle of nowhere!

I havent ridden to far from home (Albuquerque, NM) but I have ridden some terrific roads in NM, CO, UT, and AZ. I really hope to ride up to Montana this summer and get around to some of the Northern states and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
New Mexico has some awsome roads just north of Albuquerque and up around Santa Fe. Turquoise trail is a nice ride full of bikers but up Hwy 550 into the Jemez mountians is probably my favorite. There are tons of natural hot springs up there to relax in after a long ride. Plus there is no better way to impress a girl than to take her on a motorcycle ride up into the moutians to take a dip in some hot springs in the middle of nowhere!

I havent ridden to far from home (Albuquerque, NM) but I have ridden some terrific roads in NM, CO, UT, and AZ. I really hope to ride up to Montana this summer and get around to some of the Northern states and see what they have to offer.
I'm down in silver city, and I have to agree that NM has some great riding, and we don't have much of a population so the roads are usually very lightly traveled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Western Colorado, Million Dollar Highway Durango Co. to Ouray Co. Then continue to Telluride down to cortez and back to Durango. Have breakfast at the Durango Diner before you start.
Virginia
And since I am from the midwest Wisconsin has some nice country roads

·
Registered
268 Posts
first and foremost texas dont think I will ever ride them all. lots of curvey roads just about any part of the state. I have not rode as much of the state as I would like. the only draw back here is all the damn deer we really need to shoot more.
second I believe is a great kept secret is the ozarks. I took the fz1 to branson last summer and thanks to a couple of recomended paths from this site I turned off a main road and spent the next four hours twisting through very desolate roads. if not for the wife I probably could have started my own vacation. might have seen four cars the whole time until I headed back to town.
third would have to be arkansas get off the beaten path and there is some nice riding.
I hope to expand the states I have ridden real soon hopefully next summer well will head to colorado, maybe arizona

61 - 80 of 94 Posts