Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nuts, El Paso is a hop, skip and a jump to the Guadalupe Mts and the Big Bend area! Very scenic, indeed!

The ol' lady won't let me pack heat. She's smarter than I am: I'd be using it all the time! But THAT's a topic that gets everyone all riled up...

I understand old pal.I know it sounds weird,but where i'm from mama would be mad if i didn't!:eek:nfloor

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've heard positive things about Idaho, but not for riding. Why is it in your top 3? (And where specifically would you ride?)
Well police-lenient MT, and not-so-much WA & ID were my favourites - Glacier MT area, North Cascades & Olympic WA, and Hell's Canyon (actually on OR border) and ID east of there.
That was until I found my new top favourite: Colorado. I wasn't so keen on the trooper presence - but managed to avoid them. The roads throughout the whole state rocked. For my rocky mountain 'high' check out my vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukub9VKQAI4]YouTube - Mt.Evans - one of these days and Pikes Peak was cool too!
There's a road along the bottom of a long very narrow canyon somewhere N or NE of Denver that I did at night in a thunderstorm - I gotta go back and get hit it again in dry & sunny conditions.​

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
Well police-lenient MT, and not-so-much WA & ID were my favourites - Glacier MT area, North Cascades & Olympic WA, and Hell's Canyon (actually on OR border) and ID east of there.
That was until I found my new top favourite: Colorado. I wasn't so keen on the trooper presence - but managed to avoid them. The roads throughout the whole state rocked. For my rocky mountain 'high' check out my vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukub9VKQAI4]YouTube - Mt.Evans - one of these days and Pikes Peak was cool too!
There's a road along the bottom of a long very narrow canyon somewhere N or NE of Denver that I did at night in a thunderstorm - I gotta go back and get hit it again in dry & sunny conditions.​
Ummm... linky no worky...

So you vote for Colorado, Montana, Washington and Idaho?

BTW :google maps will help you find that canyon!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well we do live in the best coutry in the world.So maybe there isn't a bad place!
Maybe it time to do a top ten place to ride in the USA!
I know pavement only,this is sportbike.[man i got great dirt places to]:banana
Tell me what you think.There might be a way to do it.

Oh yea,Texs,nice pic hunh.The AR in her right hand is her's.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hard to narrow it down to just three, as we're blessed with great riding across the country (ok, Florida not so much) and I've been fortunate to have experienced much of the good stuff.

My current fav's are:

Idaho, 'cause I live there
Oregon 'cause it's close, and awesome
NorCal 'cause it just is
British Columbia, wow

Previous fav's:

Utah
Colorado
SoCal
Washington
Western S.D (Black Hills)

Honorable mention:

Texas Hill Country and West Texas, incl. Big Bend N.P.
Arkansas
North Georgia
Western N.C.
New Mexico
Missouri
Wyoming

·
Prickly Pear
7,619 Posts
1. California
2. Oregon
3. Washington

The west is the best.

That said, I haven't ridden the Ozarks and I hear they're fantastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. California
2. Oregon
3. Washington

The west is the best.

That said, I haven't ridden the Ozarks and I hear they're fantastic.
Bah... Those states all suck. Everyone knows the flatlands of Illinois is where its at. That silly 318 curves in 11 mile stuff is all wrong. Come to Illinois and experience 11 curves in 318 miles. So hows it goin Biz ? :)

I guess I would have to go with North Carolina. I likes them Smokies. Colorado had some good uns too. Arkansas too, never found a straight road there.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
i'd say check out northern lower michigan and up to the UP. head for crystal falls, it's incredibly beautiful. there are lakes you can stop and camp, catch fish for dinner.
i live in sw colorado so do a lot of riding around here. there are several loops, one of the best starting from salida head north on 291 to 285 to twin lakes, then take 82 to aspen over independence pass, then south to durango on 550 over red mt. pass, lots of camping there. then 160 over wolf creek pass, then east to 285 again and over poncha pass to salida or wherever. if you can work in lizard head pass, do it. pretty spectacular riding all on two laners. a short tour is west over monarch pass to gunnison, north to almont and over cottonwood pass to 285 and back to salida. a variation of either heads through crested butte over kebler pass (dirt). j

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
Bah... Those states all suck. Everyone knows the flatlands of Illinois is where its at. That silly 318 curves in 11 mile stuff is all wrong. Come to Illinois and experience 11 curves in 318 miles. So hows it goin Biz ? :)

You oughta come for a ride with me. I'll show you some nice roads around IL.

You can also head to St. Louis for some nice turns.

The ozarks are top notch, btw.
I guess I would have to go with North Carolina. I likes them Smokies. Colorado had some good uns too. Arkansas too, never found a straight road there.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I liked North Carolina when we were down there last year. Vermont is nice (because it's close) and Nova Scotia ROCKED (but it's not a state). I did a ride out to western NY a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised by the highways & scenery. I think, no matter where you go on two wheels, you can find some cool roads. Every state is different, and that's a good thing.

Secondary roads (and a good GPS) are your friend
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something good about western new york !?!???! Jesus thankyou !

Anyways, it is nice around here. If you happen to go through ellicotville and Cattaragus and Chatauqua Counties there are nice, along the lake is a bunch of Vineyards. In the fall is the best itme honestly going through the hills when the leaves change.

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
Arkansas too, never found a straight road there.
As my students would say, there are plenty of ghey roads there. Like southwestern Arkansas headed into Texas/Oklahoma. Or interstate into and out of Little Rock. Or following an 18 wheeler through the twisties and backroads. Or the 20 vehicle lines waiting to pass grandma...

Yup. I love Arkansas. Just wish I've had better riding there...

·
Sportbike Addict
464 Posts
Headed to Arkansas this weekend. Heard they have fantasic roads and scenery. Will have to post up pics and a trip report when I get back. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Headed to Arkansas this weekend. Heard they have fantasic roads and scenery. Will have to post up pics and a trip report when I get back. :)
Looking forward to the pics when you get back. Should be a good time down there. :cheers

·
Yeah it's fast...
913 Posts
No particular order...
Arizona; Highway 60 North of Globe, 89 between Congress and Cottonwood, and good old 191(aka 666)....Not to mention Tortila Flats, and Mt. Lemmon.

California; Pacific Higway and northern Calif.

Tennessee; Deals Gap...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I dont think it has been mentioned but I spent a lot of time last summer exploring the back roads of MA and NY. Tons of tight twisty roads, and MA lots of neat OLD towns to check out. Maybe my rose colored glasses were on because I have lived my whole life in CA. But I think the MA, NY, VT, NH area has a ton to offer.

But I am from N. Cal, and I have to say it is the best. I have only had my bike 6 weeks now. But I have been in every direction within 200 miles on the weekends. The great roads are endless.

i hate to rub it in but just today I rode through some of the gold country, up and over the hwy 50 summit(echo), around Lake Tahoe, then I80 over the summit(donner pass), down through the sierra nevada mountains, through a different part of the gold country, and have been home long enough to take a nap, drink a beer, and watch most of a movie:)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
1. Oregon Cascades and Coast - Especially south of approximately Salem.
2. Washington - roads around Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Adams are outstanding.
3. North Georgia/Southern North Carolina.

Only warnings thus far, and no lack of trying....

:beer

41 - 60 of 94 Posts