Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
So Cal is ok for warm beaches, but not sport touring/touring at all. Nor Cal is awesome and after two trips to Baltimore/Pennsylania last month, I have a new found respect for the east coast.
I can't compare Nor Cal to any other state, but it has to be among the worlds best...imagine a not so cold German forest. You can throw a dart on the board at a map of Nor Cal and then another, and the road in between is guaranteed to be great. South of San Jose, its best to stick to the coast. There's also the Sierra Nevadas that go down to Central Ca and borders Nevada.
I think I got you guys beat...

1) The Texas Hill Country - lots of twisty back-country two-lane highway with minimal law enforcement (moreso farther west) and legal highway speeds with enough little towns in-between for coffee and gasoline.

2) West Texas - lots of twisty roads amidst incredible mountain scenery. Follow the Rio Grande on the River Road with its many sharp turns and elevation changes, explore the Davis Mountains or cruise US Highway 90 with its quaint towns and regular vistas.

3) South Texas - the rolling plains leading to the coast are lined with lightly traveled farm roads and easy-to-speed highway. Be careful, however. You may wind up at the coast wishing you had brought your swim suit.

...not only did I list three different states, they're practically different countries! :neener

I nominate the four corners for runner-up.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Guess I will have to ring in for Arizona..... we have some great mountain twists here. :)
Coronado Trail in Eastern Arizona between Morenci and Alpine is outstanding and such little traffic. Probably at the top of my list of great hardly used roads.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Plus in TX, unlike CO, utah, even TN sometimes, you can ride year round for the most part. West TX is hard to beat all around, though there are some better places certain times of the year.

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
:neener:twofinger

You California guys are just jealous! That's why so many of you wind up here in Texas!

:banme

How did you fugly up your FJR???

BTW, I'm hopefully a few weeks away from my '08.
Ah, yes... The '08 is here with the statement: black is beautiful!

As for my '03... It's wearing a mix of '05 plastics with the original '03 in order to have the factory integrated turn signals and the glove box. I've not gotten all the plastics the same color... yet. So, it's quite fugly at the moment! :bitchslap

·
Registered
495 Posts
Most of you probably read about my latest trip through TN, KY, WV, VA, and NC. I've explored all of central to eastern TN, most of north GA, and north AL. I'm also very familiar with west NC. I'm lucky to live by so much great riding.

However, nothing I've ridden can top the 1.5 days I spent exploring WV. If you desire to ride 100's of miles of curvy two lane roads, try WV. You can link roads together, and literally ride 4-500 miles of nothing but beautiful curvy roads with next to no traffic!

I will eventually make it farther north, and farther west, but WV is where its at in the east...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just three?If were just talking paved roads,then it would have to be,
1.Upstate New York
2.Vermont
3.Idaho
Yes i've riden 39 out 50.I'm work'n on the other 11.

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
Oh, yeah... Vermont. I had forgotten about that place. (You know, since it's cold there!) Lots of twisty two-laners to get anywhere plus beautiful scenery and quaint towns...

I've heard positive things about Idaho, but not for riding. Why is it in your top 3? (And where specifically would you ride?)

Now if you could ride in those places year-round, (like TEXAS... or even little ol' California) I could see why it might make the top 3...

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Smoky Mts area (TN/SC/GA)
&
Northern & N Eastern part of California (Yosemite & Tahoe area)
also
N Michigan

:cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Oh, yeah... Vermont. I had forgotten about that place. (You know, since it's cold there!) Lots of twisty two-laners to get anywhere plus beautiful scenery and quaint towns...

I've heard positive things about Idaho, but not for riding. Why is it in your top 3? (And where specifically would you ride?)

Now if you could ride in those places year-round, (like TEXAS... or even little ol' California) I could see why it might make the top 3...
Texas is a great big place to ride.Alot of straight lines.
I've done rt109 in cali,outstanding.Alot of [email protected]#$k'n wacky people in cages!
Weather[cold[ is part of ride'n a motorcycle.I rode xmas day[34 degrees]i rode new years eve[31 degrees]as long as you dress right warm your tires up before you push it,and watch the sh$t in the road.Everybodys different,and you can ride year round in those places.The world ain't Texas.
Idaho,what a place!I will pull up my records and tell you where to go in that state.The whole time i rode thru that state i thought i was in the :boink:boinkAlps.Switchbacks as far as you could see,up hill,down hill,no traffic.Only little towns spaced here and there[had to watch your gas]I burned the sides off a almost new set of tires.
All the way home from the west coast 3678 miles,Idaho was the best people, cleanest,safest,and twistiest roads i'd been on.
Because its cold is no reason to puss out and not ride.Cali and Texas are great places.For that matter,the whole country is filled with different roads,weather,people and veiws.I just told you what states were my favorite,they might not be yours.
Besides i'm not done see'n them all yet it might get better!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
next time you come to Texas drop us a note. we're pretty serious about making our interstates as straight as possible to let traffic move through quickly, but if you're wanting to see some great places to ride, we could fill a few months of riding and likely still have lots of the state untouched.

·
Registered
124 Posts
next time you come to Texas drop us a note. we're pretty serious about making our interstates as straight as possible to let traffic move through quickly, but if you're wanting to see some great places to ride, we could fill a few months of riding and likely still have lots of the state untouched.

Thanks for the invite!Texas is a big big place!But it would be hard just to bring one bike.I'd have to find a way to get the dual sport down there too.
I'll tell you what,get a hold if you ever want to go north,come ride with a yankee.I don't live anywhere near that city,and theres alot of ride'n you'd never think was hear!I live 10 minutes from Vermont,21/2 hours from Canada.
15 miles from the largest state park in the country,7 million acres Adirondak park.
It only snows in the winter.:eek:nfloorApril to November is the ride season.

Attachments

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
Texas is a great big place to ride.Alot of straight lines.

The world ain't Texas.

Idaho,what a place!I will pull up my records and tell you where to go in that state.The whole time i rode thru that state i thought i was in the Alps.Switchbacks as far as you could see,up hill,down hill,no traffic.Only little towns spaced here and there[had to watch your gas]I burned the sides off a almost new set of tires. All the way home from the west coast 3678 miles,Idaho was the best people, cleanest,safest,and twistiest roads i'd been on.

Because its cold is no reason to puss out and not ride.

Cali and Texas are great places.For that matter,the whole country is filled with different roads,weather,people and veiws.I just told you what states were my favorite,they might not be yours.
Besides i'm not done see'n them all yet it might get better!
:slaugh

Yeah, about 1/3 of the world is Texas! :lao
I must admit that the straight lines in certain places are quite annoying. Most of those were made more exciting by dodging roadkill...

...now I want to go visit Idaho...
Is it on the north or west side of Texas? :brick

I ride in the cold all the time. Like when it gets below 70°
(fwiw j/k some of my best rides ever were spent freezing my @$$ off!)

I'm down with that... And btw, thanks for sharing! :cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
:slaugh

Yeah, about 1/3 of the world is Texas! :lao
I must admit that the straight lines in certain places are quite annoying. Most of those were made more exciting by dodging roadkill...

...now I want to go visit Idaho...
Is it on the north or west side of Texas? :brick

I ride in the cold all the time. Like when it gets below 70°
(fwiw j/k some of my best rides ever were spent freezing my @$$ off!)

I'm down with that... And btw, thanks for sharing! :cheers
Its all good my friend!:boink
I would like to get down around El Paso.I have El Paso saddlery make some custom leather [holsters,belts,etc]for me here and there.And,man i got a nice Smith&Wesson 29,nickel full ingraved thats die'n for a fully carved Tommy Threepersons!
You know what you Texas boys call,a BBQ gun.

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
1) North Carolina
2) Tennessee
3) Upper State Pennsylvania

- would love to do Colorado, just haven't

·
18 Hours to Daytona
436 Posts
Its all good my friend!:boink
I would like to get down around El Paso.I have El Paso saddlery make some custom leather [holsters,belts,etc]for me here and there.And,man i got a nice Smith&Wesson 29,nickel full ingraved thats die'n for a fully carved Tommy Threepersons!
You know what you Texas boys call,a BBQ gun.
Nuts, El Paso is a hop, skip and a jump to the Guadalupe Mts and the Big Bend area! Very scenic, indeed!

The ol' lady won't let me pack heat. She's smarter than I am: I'd be using it all the time! But THAT's a topic that gets everyone all riled up...

21 - 40 of 94 Posts