Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I took some advice here when i bought my first bike and i got a ninja 500. Its a great bike and all. i love learning on this bike as it handles well brakes good and has good power after a 6000 rpm. My bike already had a k&N filter jetted carbs and hindle exhaust when i got it. i have had my bike for about 10 days now and i have put alot of km's on it for one week. rode it every day! Just finished my safety course and feel much more comforatable on the bike. But i ride with a local group here and my bike is the smallest bike around. the next smallest is a zx6r. the rest are 750 and 1000.
I have gotten used to the power of my 500 and im thinking of getting something b***** next season. i really like the look of the susuki sv 1000S and the R1 but im think they are prolly still a bit too big. What can i look at for next year that is more powerful than my 500 but not going to be to much of a jump?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
my opinion says a liter. it really depends on what you want to do. for the most part the 600's are just a good as the 1000's. i think you should go with a busa!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not ready to upgrade yet but i now that by the end of season i will be! honestly even the 500 scared the crap out of me the first time i got on it to much.i got almost 1000 km on it in 10 days. i hadnt had my msf course this weekend i would have prolly put on another 400 km!

Its a great bike and i would highly suggest starting on something like this then selling it when you want to go b*****. i could have prolly started on a 750 but im glad i didnt!

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
Get the SV1000.... not the R1... The SV has incredible torque so becareful there. It doesn't have the power the R1 does though. The SV is very very easy to handle at low speeds and while cornering so it will be the perfect second bike... It is my first bike and I love it. I think I started out with way to much but I am slowly starting to come into it. Give the SV some serious thought though, It is a very very fun bike!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
heh, out very clearly by nig. I say go for a 600, I am sure you will have a blast on it, and it will have enough power to keep you satisfied and you will have more practice so whan you get the 1000. Have a safe riding season.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The old school 1000 I-4s or new 1000 twins are better streetbikes than the new 600s and have nearly the same power-to-weight (if not more depending on which one) and WAAAYYYY more torque. I can roll on in top gear on the interstate and my friend on his brand new 600 has to drop 2 or 3 gears to keep up. And the ergos are better.

Of course, it won't have as good of handling...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
one thing is, your male ego is getting in the way. It dosent matter if you bike is small or not. It's the fact that YOUR ON a bike and you love to ride. That's all the matters You've only been riding 10 days and you wanna upgrade? Not smart. But if you really are set on doing it, I'd recomend a 600. But do try to get a used one, and do take some time to think about what your doing, before you go out and purchase something you can't handle. We dont need another hurt or dead rider because his/ her ego got in the way...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Jackal79 said:
The old school 1000 I-4s or new 1000 twins are better streetbikes than the new 600s and have nearly the same power-to-weight (if not more depending on which one) and WAAAYYYY more torque. I can roll on in top gear on the interstate and my friend on his brand new 600 has to drop 2 or 3 gears to keep up. And the ergos are better.

Of course, it won't have as good of handling...

:eek: thats weird. my gixxer600 can keep up with a gixxer1000 without havin to drop any gears. i took it off the line!

·
Registered
886 Posts
You took a gix1 off the line with a gix 6? He must have been a shitty rider, after 40 mph it should fly away from you.

Try rolling on from 70 mph with both bikes in top gear. My out of tune 1988 fzr 1000 smokes a 2004 gix 6 in that situation, a new 1000 would be even more of a mismatch in a roll on battle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
get a used cbr 600f4i, I love my bike.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I just made the point that an SV is not the same as a gsxr 1000....maybe close to a 600

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its not my male ego that want to upgrade. eversince i started driving i have always wanted more power. I had an 87 s10 blazer with 355 sbc in it and and it was a 4x4 with 6" lift and 31" tires and i was giving V8 camaros an good fight. i always wantmore power! and im not going out to buy a 1000 cc bike right now im just thinking ahead to next year. i know that by the end of this season i will want more than i have now. but will good 600 or 750 be enough i dont know! this is what im asking for opions for. I dont have a track near me so all my fun is on the road. so a tenth or 2 in a lap doesnt mean much to me. i want fun and power and decent handleing the handling of my 200 ninja 500 is good enough i just want more power. im a power addict!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Jackal79 said:
You took a gix1 off the line with a gix 6? He must have been a shitty rider, after 40 mph it should fly away from you.

Try rolling on from 70 mph with both bikes in top gear. My out of tune 1988 fzr 1000 smokes a 2004 gix 6 in that situation, a new 1000 would be even more of a mismatch in a roll on battle.

i took his but off the line. my 600 is an 03 BTW. after 2nd he started to pull away but not by much. his bike wasnt stock. i dont know if a full micron setup would do much to hp but he had a K&N filter. now the busa, that was fun! he had me big time. i wish them memphis boys would come back down. they are freakin crazy!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so out of all the replies on here only a couple were on topic and had any relevance to my question. Some help that was!
mobilesuit:
Get the R1. Anything smaller then a liter is for pussy's

Great argument but not very helpful thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here's what you do......FORGET about upgrading, period. You need not worry about it now, it's a distraction and could cloud your judgement while riding what you do have. Learn everything there is to know about the 500 you have.....shit, 1k miles is nothing!

Next year, start thinking about it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
put at least 5,000 miles on the 500, then start thinking about another bike. Of course, you are always going to be thinking about other bikes, so that is natural. Every bike you buy you are going to be thinking about the next one. but your interests will change. last year I was in love with the ZX7R. an inline carbed 4 cylinder. but now that i've been riding my 750 inline twin, I want a V-twin, so now I desire a RC51. yes, I've realized why people that have twins love them. more down low torque, less shifting gears. more useable power. I think your bike is a twin as well if i'm not mistaken. point is, just keep riding and i'd say don't look so much at cyclinder size,but engine configuration.

·
Banned
730 Posts
A really good rider would hand all of your riding buddies their asses on your bike. Think of how cool that would be if you could do it? Don't upgrade because of some perceived notion of not being cool. Upgrade because the bike isn't up to your skill level.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts