Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to get a Long Distance bike what would you get?
I use to own a Yamaha Majesty and dont judge a book by its cover that 400CC scooter can go. 80mph? No problem. 55pmg check.
I dont like riding my bike for hrs cause its just not comfortable, rather be on a Majesty or Suzuki Burgman. Plus those scooters have tons of storage.
Used Majestys in the offseason were a steal 3k.

So what would you get?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
A sport tourer (C14, FJR, Trophy, K1600GT(L)) or hyper bike (ZX-14(R), Hayabusa, K1300GT) built into a sport tourer via higher wind shield, luggage etc. What can I say? I love torque. :cereal

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come to think of it, if I win the lottery I would get a Can Am.
Looks like a Superhero on it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I find the dirt bike riding position the most comfortable under 70mph. Husky TR650 would be great if I knew the roads were going to be bad quality or if I were planning to play on back roads and maybe trails. Never underestimate how fun it is to break up the monotony by exploring a random ATV trail you see on the aide of the road. If I were going to be predominantly above 70mph I would want a half faired bike or a sport bike with dirt bike bars and adjustable pegs.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
A sport tourer (C14, FJR, Trophy, K1600GT(L)) or hyper bike (ZX-14(R), Hayabusa, K1300GT) built into a sport tourer via higher wind shield, luggage etc. What can I say? I love torque. :cereal
Those are all more sport-TOURERs. I prefer SPORT-tourers: my R1200ST, aprilia Futura, Ducati ST2/3/4, Triumph Sprint ST/GT, and the Honda VFR800. Under 600lbs would be my cut off.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Those are all more sport-TOURERs. I prefer SPORT-tourers: my R1200ST, aprilia Futura, Ducati ST2/3/4, Triumph Sprint ST/GT, and the Honda VFR800. Under 600lbs would be my cut off.
I assure you, the Hayabusa (and the ZX-14 for that matter) are SPORT first, and under 600lbs, even with the mods Akumu listed.

Acura, if you want a true distance machine without going to a cruiser, and with superior comfort to a sport bike, go for the V-Strom. They aren't expensive, they are sporty, there are touring mods and luggage out the ass for them, and they get great gas mileage. I've got a DL 1000 myself (as well as a Hayabusa with touring modifications and a Vespa GT200 that does 70 and gets 65mpg), and it is the cat's ass.

·
Your friendly antagonist
2,346 Posts
Ducati Multistrada! Picking one up a week from now, I can't wait, I'll let you know how it is on the highway as I'm doing a 7 hour ride back from the dealer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It would be a scooter that could reach 70mph with maximum mileage and modified for fuel capacity. I hate stopping. I'm one of those freaks that can ride all day.

I prefer a bike where I can lay down on the tank, so I'm not sure how sitting up all day and night would work out for me. I rode my cbr600f4 1,500 miles in 24 hours once. Sleep was my only problem...

I used to own a cheap Chinese scooter. It was a lot of fun, but parts kept falling off every week and I gave it up when the frame broke in half. It only survived 2,100 miles...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would ride my Buell for long distances. But there is no cargo space and the exhaust is so fucking loud I would have a head ache after 4 hours.

Another good one is the Honda Interceptor. You can get hard bags that look really good on the bike. And its more of a sit up bike. Also Busa and ZX14.

·
Registered
848 Posts
for slabbing...VFR800 (kinda biased since i owned an '02 - 20k), Busa (put 28k on it) or ZX14(r) and then to the fat boys of the FJR (10k), C14, ST1300.

then add in all the others listed by others.

for all other types of street riding, an SS, but once again, i'm biased... i put 350 miles in one trip on the 750 last summer and i was jonesin to go further, but family was calling.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I assure you, the Hayabusa (and the ZX-14 for that matter) are SPORT first, and under 600lbs, even with the mods Akumu listed.

Acura, if you want a true distance machine without going to a cruiser, and with superior comfort to a sport bike, go for the V-Strom. They aren't expensive, they are sporty, there are touring mods and luggage out the ass for them, and they get great gas mileage. I've got a DL 1000 myself (as well as a Hayabusa with touring modifications and a Vespa GT200 that does 70 and gets 65mpg), and it is the cat's ass.
I don't consider the ZX-14 or the Hayabusa to be sport tourers, and neither do the people who make them. The C14 might be a good option if just a tad heavy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would ride my Buell for long distances. But there is no cargo space and the exhaust is so fucking loud I would have a head ache after 4 hours.
I've taken my Buell on long trips before (ABQ to Dallas, San Antonio, Roswell, and back). I had to rig up some saddlebags for cargo. The exhaust wasn't too bad (I have a Drummer) as long as you wear earplugs. I got some of those earbuds with earplug stuff on them and it was ok, no headache but there was a little tinnitus for about half an hour afterwards. The worst part for me was filling up every 100 miles. I almost didn't make the last leg (San Antonio to Albuquerque) because I didn't want to slab it the whole way. I was lucky to find a 24 hour gas station at one point out in the boonies.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
I got my ZX14 for long trips, and am still to use it on one. I will be doing 1000 miles round trip in June.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
<====

:whistle

KeS
Oops. Yes, Kevin I forgot to add the K12/13S. :D

Which is inexcusable as I have been trying to decide what bike to add to the current two and the 5 finalists are (in no particular order):

BMW S1000RR
BMW K1300S
aprilia RSV4
aprilia Tuono V4
aprilia Tuono (I'm partial to the 2nd gen in blue & white)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I particularly like this bike & think it shall be a good long distance sporty tourer
If you say so. A Honda VFR800 or BMW F800ST or new GT would be much better suited as a sports tourer then that I'm sure. Just having integrated hard luggage seperates them from a warmed over standard like the CBR600F.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
I don't consider the ZX-14 or the Hayabusa to be sport tourers, and neither do the people who make them. The C14 might be a good option if just a tad heavy.
The C14 will eat the bikes you listed as SPORT-tourers alive in the SPORT-Touring category.

The ZX-14 and Hayabusa make great sport-tourers with the addition of raised handle bars, luggage, and possiibly a new seat (depends on the rider).

For LD touring? GL1500/GL1800 BMW K1600GT/GTL, and BMWs bike that the K1600GTL replaces (R1300LT?)

Ton's of storage, tons of comfort. The BKing is the 'couple-hundred mile' bike for me, while the GL1800 is if I want to go further or I have a passenger.

The BKing could be made more comfortable with a change in the seat (which isn't that bad for me stock), and the addition of cruiser control/throttle lock and some heated grips. I could probably do 500 mile days on the King with those mods pretty easily. It has crap for mileage, although adding the windscreen to it seems to have boosted the gas mileage, since I'm not acting as a big sail.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I think when R/T listed those he meant SPORT (agile, but with luggage stock) tourer as opposed to the ones I listed all weigh more than any he listed and were more along the lines of SPORT (POWER!) tourer with no default luggage. Obviously I mean the ZX & Busa and not the proper sport tourers like ST1300/FJR/C14.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts