Sport Bikes banner

1001 - 1020 of 1065 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
If you wait long enough, anything can happen. Who knows? It probably has already happened in some form. Maybe not the exact scenario you describe. That's probably why stories get dismissed by the national media every day while others get reported on.

If it doesn't fit the narrative they are looking for, it gets ignored. Very unscientific if you ask me.
I just disagree. News orgs write and broadcast info which they think is "newsworthy" (Read: their constituencies will have interest. Example: The Bloomberg News doesn't spend any time on sports. The Eugene Register-Guard, is spending pages on the upcoming game between the Univ. of Oregon and Ohio State)

But having said that, some news orgs with a slant will slant—or even spike—news stories. The most egregious of them all, right now, is Faux News, among the big ones. You couldn't get the truth out of them with a loaded pistol. Maybe water boarding, though. (I'm talking about outright lying to their viewers, not their political slant. Roger Ailes is a f'ing virus.)

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just because a person makes a meme doesn't make it matter. I think my mother could make a meme if she wanted to, and she is awful with computers. Do you think all the memes made about the Ferguson rioters should have an impact on the national discussion? I saw some pretty offensive ones.

People who would use this one as an argument for gun control don't have much of a case, and probably don't know enough about how gun laws work to teach a congressmen...and they can be pretty ignorant when it comes to guns.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I just disagree. News orgs write and broadcast info which they think is "newsworthy" (Read: their constituencies will have interest. Example: The Bloomberg News doesn't spend any time on sports. The Eugene Register-Guard, is spending pages on the upcoming game between the Univ. of Oregon and Ohio State)

But having said that, some news orgs with a slant will slant—or even spike—news stories. The most egregious of them all, right now, is Faux News, among the big ones. You couldn't get the truth out of them with a loaded pistol. Maybe water boarding, though. (I'm talking about outright lying to their viewers, not their political slant. Roger Ailes is a f'ing virus.)
All the big ones slant to one direction or the other. It shows in the way they show the story, what questions they ask, and sometimes which stories they ignore or give little play to. Of course they are looking for ratings. They know their viewers are either left or right of center, and they want to show stories that will be appealing to that audience.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
^^ So you're saying...aggravated assault with a weapon "doesn't matter"?

I don't think it's the media that's making gun owners look bad.
No, I'm saying hundreds of aggravated assaults with a weapon happen everyday but the media doesn't report on them. They decide to run the story on Zimmerman because everyone knows he's a nutcase gun owner

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
Gun groups tried to help raise money for Zimmerman.
Zimmerman made appearances at gun show signing autographs.
Most common voters will associate the NRA to these type of cases when they hear the name George Zimmerman.

·
Super Moderator
9,239 Posts
They decide to run the story on Zimmerman because everyone knows he's a nutcase gun owner
The problem is it's hard to tell the nutcase gun owners, from the responsible gun ownes from the criminals. To make it worse, the NRA and most ammosexuals defend the nutcases as if they were responsible.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I dont have much of a fear that more gun laws will be put in place over this or many many other stories. In any case I will slowly purchase the guns I would like to own and will do it in the order of the most likely to get banned next so that by the time it does happen if it ever does then I already have the ones I want and all the ammo I will need in my lifetime for it.

·
Registered
14,938 Posts
All the big ones slant to one direction or the other. It shows in the way they show the story, what questions they ask, and sometimes which stories they ignore or give little play to. Of course they are looking for ratings. They know their viewers are either left or right of center, and they want to show stories that will be appealing to that audience.
Not Fox, they work both sides simultaneously.

·
Registered
14,938 Posts
George Zimmerman doesn't make gun owners look bad. He makes George Zimmerman look bad.
He beginning to make road ragers and misogynists look bad too.

Actually I think they're categorizing his adventures so when someone finally has enough of his acting out and puts him down for some inconsequential reason, we can easily demonize him, you know like we've become use to doing the last few years.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
The problem is it's hard to tell the nutcase gun owners, from the responsible gun ownes from the criminals. To make it worse, the NRA and most ammosexuals defend the nutcases as if they were responsible.
All this gun bullshit is directly traceable to a single person, you know. That person is Wayne LaPierre, who, until he got the job with the NRA was a GOP political operative who knew next to nothing about guns. The guy has a fascinating history.

He has managed to make a relatively moderate organization dedicated to gun safety into a one trick pony, in fear mongering a virtually non-existent contest between "gun owners" and "the government."

This is what he does for his multi-million dollar paycheck.
When the history books are written a hundred years from now, it will record how this single individual successfully traded on fear to achieve his political ends and how he managed to overcome the public's disgust with the Sandy Hooks, the Columbines, the Thurston High Schools, and all the other massacres committed with firearms in the last two decades. Even worse, the NRA has spawned even more radical gun groups.

There's isn't a congressman alive who has the balls to stand up to these people. And rightly so, if they want to keep their jobs.

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Let me add to that: He educated in the Catholic university system.

Vic Thomas...A southern Democrat in 1975. Nice try. McGovern? Everyone cuts his teeth on mistakes. He was rabid even then.

Why don't you try addressing the facts of La Pierre rather than trying to deflect them?
Are you saying he's some kind of closet liberal?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I'm saying WLP was not a "GOP operative". He went from McGovern's '72 campaign to Thomas' aid until '77 when he went became an NRA hack.

I'm not a WLP expert, I'm honestly not even an NRA member (though you'd never believe it with the amount of mail I get from them...)...and a major part of the reason I'm not is the comments WLP makes.

That said...I think about joining frequently because I agree with most of what the organization does.

I ardently believe in right to carry and self defense. I'm as saddened and sickened as anyone by the spectacle shootings but restricting the 99.9999999% of gun owners who wouldn't think of such acts isn't an acceptable answer.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
"It's clear he hasn't been very lucky with the ladies the last few months."
I guess it depends on how you define "unlucky".

I mean, he keeps getting arrested because of the ladies and then those ladies decide to recant/stand by his side when it's time to rise up and speak "the truth".

Personally, I don't worry too much about it. It's clear he has anger issues and The dude clearly hasn't learned that he should lay low. Hell, I cant believe he's still in the Orlando area! If he dosen't get a grip, It's only a matter of time before he does something so dumb that he ends up in jail for a long, long time.

I'm picturing OJ Simpson right now for some reason.

·
Registered
14,938 Posts
Do you think these three ladies have been lucky with him?

I'm seeing one of these feeling really guilty after he carries through with some of the shit he's toying with now.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Do you think these three ladies have been lucky with him?

I'm seeing one of these feeling really guilty after he carries through with some of the shit he's toying with now.
LOL. I think they got what should've been expected. This guy is one of the most household names in America. He has a very public record of making bad decisions and violent behavior and they knew that going in. So whatever happens, these women should never say they didn't see it coming.

1001 - 1020 of 1065 Posts