Sport Bikes banner

981 - 1000 of 1065 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
:lol Well, that pretty much explains it, no? You're prejudiced. I wouldn't let you on, either.

A juror's job is to determine guilt as it applies to the law. No more, no less. Therefore, you'd have no problem getting a skip. Enjoy!
I have to agree with Fly on this one. Your job as juror is to determine guilt or innocence, not wether you think the law is a good one or not.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
The jury is set

6 women
5 white
1 hispanic.

Absolutely amazing.
Everything is about race/class/ethnicity/demographic group for you, isn't it? It should be about individuals. Actual people are individuals, not just members of groups.

PhilB

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I've been dismissed because I have a degree (one of three) in Criminal Justice. That and being a Libertarian means I'll probably never get to serve on a jury. I know too much, and understand how nullification works :) Any possession or prostitution case gets a "not guilty" from me no matter how guilty the person is, and yes, jurors are supposed to do that if they believe the law is a bad law.
Absolutely correct.

:lol Well, that pretty much explains it, no? You're prejudiced. I wouldn't let you on, either.

A juror's job is to determine guilt as it applies to the law. No more, no less. Therefore, you'd have no problem getting a skip. Enjoy!
Bzzzt! Wrong. (As usual.)

I have to agree with Fly on this one. Your job as juror is to determine guilt or innocence, not wether you think the law is a good one or not.
Wow. You're usually pretty good on this stuff, but I'm quite disappointed that you have missed this really basic concept.

Your job as a juror is to decide whether, in the specific case before you, the defendant should be punished for what he has done. This job includes, in addition to finding out whether he actually did the thing in question, also whether it is just to punish him for it -- so the law's goodness is part of the equation, as well as, even if it is generally a good law, if it should be applied to this specific situation.

Jury nullification is a key component of proper justice, and a big part of why our system doesn't work right is that few people are educated as to their rights and duties as jurors, and the system likes it that way (indeed goes to great lengths to ensure it stays that way).

NH recently made a HUGE step forward in justice, in passing a state law that recognizes jury nullification, and specifically allows the defense to use it in court as a defense strategy. (Something I'm proud to say we Free Staters played a significant part in making happen.)

PhilB

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Yup. Jury nullification is the right and duty of any jury who feels the law is unjust.

If it weren't for jury nullification, we'd probably still have prohibition. (Ive heard juries refused to convict ~ 70% of the time for alcohol violations).

Those who think otherwise (RT, BD) need to do some reading.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Honestly I suspect it's colored a bit by his profession. I don't blame him - the last thing most cops want is a jury throwing out a case they've been part of. Most cops are good people though we may often think otherwise when nicked for something petty like going 5 over when they've been ordered to crack down, etc. There are some bad apples, of course, but not as many as some often think (unless the majority of your life is on the wrong side of the statutes, then you probably think all cops suck.)...although we seem to have an excessive number of dogs shot by cops in this area over recent years. That's a bit troubling.

They've chosen a career that puts their lives on the line and they expect people who violate society's laws to be punished.

Most of the time I agree. But I do think there are bad laws out there that should be nullified, and it is within a jury's realm to address this.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Not guilty!!!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Everything is about race/class/ethnicity/demographic group for you, isn't it? It should be about individuals. Actual people are individuals, not just members of groups.

PhilB
If race was not important, they would not have reported the race and gender of the jury.

Plus, GZ made it a point about race, not me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

PhilB
Personally not everything I analyze is about race or group, but there was a reason that no men or Afro-Americans were on that jury, I had nothing to do with it, but someone made sure of the demographics.

Race and ethnicity are still an issue in this country. Not to the level of the 50's and 60's, but it is still an issue. Personally I think when Gen Y, and the millennials are the majority holding in industry and government, racial division will be at its lowest. Right now the country is still under the influence of the oldest generation, the baby boomers, and they lived the 50's and 60's.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
6 main jurors.

Seminole County, where Sanford is and where the jury pool was drawn from, is 11.1% black. Barely over 1 in 10.

It's not in the least surprising that with 6 primary jurors, none was black. Among the 3 alternates, 1 was black...fits in with the county demographics.

Oh...and that black alternate has come forward and said he supported the verdict and would have voted the same way.

·
Registered
15,117 Posts

George Zimmerman was arrested late Friday for aggravated assault in a domestic violence case, according to Florida's Seminole County Sheriff's Office.

Then 31-year-old was detained at 10 p.m in Lake Mary, near Orlando, and has been denied bail, according his booking record.

He is due to appear in court at 9 a.m. Saturday to face charges of aggravated assault with a weapon, the record said. No further information was immediately available.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The mainstream media once again paying far too much attention to a story that doesn't matter simply because it makes gun owners look bad. What a surprise

·
Premium Member
13,435 Posts
I"m still waiting for the first report of some dude getting shot to death by a drunken gunner in a Florida bar. It'll happen, for sure.

"I was standing my ground. He threw a highball glass at me. Thank God he missed and I was barely able to get my (legally allowed) 9mm Baretta out in to time shoot the bastard."

Case closed.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you wait long enough, anything can happen. Who knows? It probably has already happened in some form. Maybe not the exact scenario you describe. That's probably why stories get dismissed by the national media every day while others get reported on.

If it doesn't fit the narrative they are looking for, it gets ignored. Very unscientific if you ask me.

981 - 1000 of 1065 Posts