Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post ever on any online forum in my entire twenty-two years of existence, therefore first I'd like to say "Hello, my name is Peter, good to meet you!"

Okay, now that the formalities are over, let's get to the meat of the subject.

My birthday is coming up, and my oh-so-benevolent Father has decided give me a bike as a present. This is in conjunction with some other deeds I accomplished which pleases the Old Man greatly. Now since my father firmly believes in buying only quality items, he gave me specific instructions to purchase something dependable, reliable, and cap at around $25000.

So here's where your help would be greatly appreciated, my fellow internet-Wise-Men of sportbikes.net:

For $25,000, what bike would you choose based on a combination of style, power, speed, reputation, and reliability?

Please give me your generous inputs. Some points I'd like to make clear:
1) 25000 OTD price.
2) (Bike + Mod) < 25,000 = acceptable choice.
3) However, please limit mods to fairly simple ones and 1 or 2 of them. (Reason is I modded my car and it has been nothing but a nightmare, so Stock is Beautiful to this particular motorist.)
Other than that, sky's the limit!

Now, I've been lurking around for quite a bit, and I've absorbed most of your timeless wisdom through late-night-osmosis sessions. I am taking the MSF July 23rd with a friend whom I connived into participating with. So yes, breath a sigh of relief, *phew*, I am going to take MSF course.

Also, he and I are going to joint purchase a used EX500 to practice on. I will probably have the ninja most of the time due to him unable to keep a car AND a bike at his current residence. I am going to put in many hours of practice, and a copious amount of track days to sharpen my skills for the $25,000 baby. I figure 6 month of intensive training and track days would allow me to exhibit competence in safely handling my baby, which will be sitting in the garage as an encouragement of some sort with Ikea lights shining on it and all that good stuff. I would like be able to ride like Valentino Rossi and drag my knees while going to 7-11 for a slurpee in full leather on a hot California day.

Lastly I am going to purchase my gear this week, so don't worry about me being a squid and sporting nothing but a baseball hat and condom. Please direct me to the cheapest trustworthy online gear site, and a list of your personal favorite gear brands would be greatly appreciated.

Now, I apologize for the long post, but I feel if I addressed some questions and concerns beforehand more of your valuable time would be saved in the long run. Thank you all for your infinite patience, and I am so sorry about your bleeding eyeballs from reading all this rubbish.

To recap:

1) For $25,000, what bike would you choose based on a combination of style, power, speed, reputation, and reliability?

2) Please direct me also to the cheapest trustworthy online gear site, and a list of your personal favorite gear brands would be lavishly appreciated.

*phew* I'm all done. Now would someone flick me off already and welcome me to this board!! Thanks for any inputs, flames, middle-finger-flickery, and nonchalant highbrow glances!

-Pete

·
Banned
5 Posts
dude, your fixing to get flamed like a mofo so good luck

i wish my parents would buy me a $25000 bike, but that's retarded IMO. Why not just buy a $10000 one that will probably be more reliable anyway and then but a couple grand in mods and have a pimp bike.

only bikes that are gonna cost anywhere near $20k+ are going to be your exotic europeans (Ducati, Aprilia, MV, so on and so on) and they break more than cheap jap bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any bike you think is worthy can be suggested. Doesn't have to be 25,000, that is just the cap. If you think an R1 with some ohlins is more worthy than some italian bike, I would love to hear your reasons why. If you think an Aprilia RSV Factory is a more seductive choice personally, by all means, share your opinion. If you think some other bike that few people have that's worth the scrutiny, please bring it to my attention.

Personally I love the '03 R6 black with red flames, the 1000RR, the 749 dark, the list goes on. I don't mind what price I pay (relatively low or high), I just want to hear what you guys think are truly Great bikes given a $25000 cap. Thanks for the warning though Stanger :) I hope I get some good advice/insight and see things from an angle previously hidden.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
You're obviously intelligent, but the whole premise is utterly ridiculous. First off you will look like a total idiot as a noob on any bike that's even half expensive as what you propose. Like the kid driving to HS in a ferrari, thinks he's the shit but everyone else is appalled or simply laughing. Unless you want to look like Richie Rich in leathers, I'd rethink this whole proposition. The bikes at the upper limit are exotics that only the most experienced bikephile would appreciate. You will think an EX500 is the most exilerating thing ever built. You don't need or want an R1 with Ohlins. I'd be suprised if you even could tell the difference between a stock shock and an Ohlins-I doubt I could and I bought my first new bike 21 years ago. Maybe buy an R6 if money is no object and you are comfortable on the 500 would be my advice.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
id tell daddy to buy me a new cbr1kRR, a couple older 900rr's(stunt bikes), and id sink the other $5000 into my 954........but hey, it's not up to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
OK.... you have to understand that $25k would buy you about 3 nice, new bikes, right? So, knowing that, why the hell would you be looking for the CHEAPEST leathers you can find? Seriously...... You should spend more money on gear (pot calling the kettle black here, but it's a sound premise) than on the first bike.

I'd go with the ex500, good, quality gear, and an 03 R6. Those bikes are great. I rode my friend's before he looped it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
ya go out and buy a cbr600 and maybe a 954 that way you can most defanitly get what your father told you to get. ride that 600 24/7 until you fall asleep on it then bring out the big one. trust me you won't/can't go wrong riding red.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Ok let me get to know you some more does your dad or you own a viper or some outher exotic car? Second what do you want to do with the bike since your gonna have a 500 race it,stunt it,ride it around the block. If you like Italian wich im positive you do get a duc. apilia,mv. if you like 4 bangers get the rice rocket ie:honda,kawi,yamaha,suz,This choice is going to be all in how you like to sit,ride,ect. you need to decide they are all good bikes. And dont get cheap leather if you can afford good ones.
In closing :twofinger welcome and enjoy your stay :twofinger

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
BoilerRoomPete said:
I would like be able to ride like Valentino Rossi and drag my knees while going to 7-11 for a slurpee in full leather on a hot California day.
Oh man, dude, you have ALOT of learning to do yet. I respect the fact that you have an idol to look up to, but don't expect to be able to ride like Rossi even with 10 years worth of track days, it's not gonna happen, Rossi is a "phenom." Also you should only TRY to ride like Rossi on the track, NOT on your way to the local 7-11.

If I had $25k to spend I'd keep that 500 as a street bike, and then buy a new Honda RS250R race-bike (95hp, 200lbs) for $15,000, it will eat new R1's and everything else alive at the track, once you are good enough to ride it like it should be ridden. But I am BEGGING YOU, do not jump into buying a $25k street bike or even a $10k street bike. Buy a nice used R6 or R1 or whatever for around $7000 once you've gotten some experience in on that EX500. Then spend some money on a track bike. A Yamaha TZ250 with a nice set of spares can be had for $7k no problem. It's a very powerful weapon on the track, and I guarantee you, it will eat most of the other bikes on the track alive, even on the straights.

Then spend money on GOOD GEAR. If you plan on riding street and track, buy some comfortable vented leathers for street use and a nice one-piece (insert brand here) suit, along with a hard back protector, nice boots, a quality helmet. DO NOT SKIMP ON GEAR. I spent about $2000 total on my track gear, and I don't even have my "dream setup"

Also, if you want to get serious into track riding invest $30 and buy two books "Twist of The Wrist" and "Twist of The Wrist 2" Some of the best reading I've done, and the best $30 I've ever spent, just check Amazon.com. Then find your nearest track school and fork over the $400 or whatever to really learn how to ride on the track, also a great investment, that had paid for itself 10 fold by preventing me from doing something stupid.

Hope some of this helps, and you at least take some of the people's advice who have posted on your thread, because they wouldn't have taken the time if they didn't care.

Ride safe, rubber side down, have fun!

Jason

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I'd get me an F4i or R6, excellent gear and a trailer...use the money left over for some track days and you will be the MAN!!
Welcome to the board :twofinger

·
Registered
569 Posts
Simply to entertain the question because it's fun to think about....

I'd buy a BMW K1200S...

...and I'd purchase my gear almost exclusively from these two sites...

www.newenough.com
www.aerostich.com

What money I had left would be spent on an old 600 or something for track days and racing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow. You are a lucky sonuvabitch. Sometime you'll have to let us what 'tasks' you successfully performed to make the Old Man drop such love on your, albeit materialistic love...

Well, let's see. You have the unparalleled ability to get the bike of your dreams RIGHT NOW. Very few people have this opportunity, and thank goodness, because next to nobody can actually handle the bike of their dreams. I'm sure that you understand that you'll be getting your dream bike purely on the basis of its looks, because an MSF course and 6 months of riding is NOT going to give you the skills to fully exploit the DreamBike, even if you're riding every day.

So...my first recommendation is...FULL INSURANCE!!! 'Cuz you're in California, the land of the bling, and your DreamBike, which you won't be ready for, MAY get scratched, wrecked, totalled, or worst, STOLEN.

Next: the most efficient alarm system you can get your hands on. I have no experience here, as I ride a '97 CBR 600F3 with scratched fairings. (but I frickin LOVE IT) Talk to Twinsen if you want to truly know how if feels when your beautiful new toy is stolen. You don't want to know. Make sure you use at LEAST two different systems (electronic warning + wheel lock + chain).

Defense Gear: Get a Valentine One (http://www.valentine1.com/), and spring for the anti-laser option (extra $150?) to give you that extra 3-4 seconds to slow down when a laser hits you. Also make sure you visit Legal Speeding Products (http://www.legalspeeding.com/product.htm) to equip your helmet with a visual detector for the Valentine, so you never have take your eyes off the road. Finally, and this may be overkill, equip yourself with THIS crazy device (http://www.flashalert.com/eclipse.htm) to black out your license plate at the touch of a switch, and to reverse the blacking when the popo are around. Why be identified if you don't have to be? Total cost: ~$750. Cost of keeping yourself ticket-free with no insurance penalties? PRICELESS

Helmet/Gear: Your body type is going to dictate this. The Shoei X-11, Arai RX7RR, Suomy Spec 1R, AGV X-Vent...you have to get this fitted at a dealer, and pay the extra. Just please don't get a replica racer helmet right off the bat :). Leathers will depend on your body type and environment (do you want venting? or protection? DAINESE). Gloves and boots I can't comment on yet.

If I had 'unlimited' funds....the above would be mandatory. They should be for you.

But the BIKE!! The bike, the bike, the bike. So many questions to answer:

What type of riding are you going to do? Lots of highways? Literbike. Lots of posing? Italian all the way. Canyon carving? The 600s. Maybe you'll decide that a V-twin is more your style, with that low grunt and plenty of power down low. Shit, maybe you'll find that you don't have a powerful enough lower back and you'll want a sport tourer, like a Honda VFR. You just don't know at this point -- you haven't even gotten on that EX500 yet.

Which brings up an interesting point, or it would be interesting if I even remotely believed you in the first place :) (this scenario is just too wonderful to be true, but I'll play along). Not only will you not be worthy of your DreamBike (and thereby lose posing status from those that you most desperately want it from -- real riders), but also, you will be just GIVEN a Toy that the rest of us would have to build up to.

It's just a question of how you would personally value it. You haven't bled for this, why would you really care about it after 6 months, especially if you don't have the ability to truly squeeze all the fun out of it? Whoops, I forgot that I'm playing along :)

The Bike:
-MV Augusta F4 - rare. delicious. fast. sooooo sexy...more sculpture than bike. Absolutely my favorite from looks alone.
-Ducati 916 - classic. lacks the gay front end of the new 999R. my favorite Duc
-Ducati 749R - has that gay front end. I'd still hump the tailpipe. stay away from the Dark if money is truly no object. Getting the horde of aftermarket parts (it's practically RACE READY) on the R-type is worth it.
-2004 Suzuki GXSR600 - there's a reason everybody has one.
-Honda 954RR - commonly awesome
-Honda 1000RR - i'd wait for 3 years. A new chassis always needs tweaked. Same for the the ZX10R. Look how the Fireblade evolved after it was first introduced...

Naturally, pipe it, jet it, sweeten up the undertail, drop a tooth in the front and two up in the back, double bubble the windshield, titanium rearsets for a more tucked position, remove the mirrors (well, experienced riders could) for a more streamlined look, and if you're feeling REALLY good...turn your DreamBike into a true Replica with decal kit from MorganDesigns (http://www.morgandesigns.com/). Definitely DON'T do this to one of the Italian bikes, as they are sexy enough as it is, but it will make a Japanese marvel of efficient engineering a little closer to being sexy and unique.

Finally, leave it at my house with the keys, and we're all happy. I need to go change my underwear now.

/hopes to God this is a joke

edit:

Italian bikes, like Italian cars, like Italian women, are NOT reliable. Keep that in mind. Honda = reliability, hence all the Red Riders popping up in here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lightweaver you need to change your avatar....I find it near impossible to pay ANY attention to what you are posting when I see it :)

That said listen to the people that know and learn to ride for awhile before you ever buy ANY powerful bike, let alone the exotics your father can afford to buy you. You are still a noob and if you go out and buy a piece of art like an Aprilla, an MV, a Duc etc that people here dream about and promptly wreck it, hopefully you will have proper gear and survive so I can kill you myself :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
96SNAKE/03RR said:
^ That's a sharp looking BMW.
Yeah, the very first BMW motorcycle that actually made me want to own one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
get 2 bikes and a lot of good gear. but ride that 500 for a LONG time (as in, more than a couple of months) before you ride the new ones. I'd get a new 600ss and then a more comfortable long distance bike like the BMW mentioned above. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Definitely the MV Augusta F4. On of the best looking bikes ever I think. Plus no one else has one. You'll definitely be posing if you had this bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 78 Posts