Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy tell me the other day that he had an R1 that he had up to 227mph. He said he had a supercharger and maybe gearing changed. I know this is not possible, but I want to know if anyone could tell me how much horsepower an older R1 would have needed to attain this speed.
I could believe 180 or 190 something but 227 is ridiculous.
I want some science I can throw at him to prove he's full of it!

·
Registered
912 Posts
stock the 2001 or 2 R1 was capable of 183mph... 227 is improbably yes, but not really that difficult to believe.

I'll do some research to see what would be required gearing wise to make this possible.

EDIT: Eh, screw it... I can't seem to get the numbers to work right for me. According to my calculations on a STOCK 2001 R1 to get to 227mph you'd only have to get to 9600 RPM (figuring in gear ratio and final drive ratio) which I KNOW isn't right. I'll play with the numbers some more and see what I can do about correcting this.

Also, I was wrong about the stock top speed... According to the manufacturer, top speed is 167mph from the factory.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I call Bull$hit on his story..
Noonan, the world record holder for a motorcycle, did 227 on his Busa. However, his "Busa" was overbored to 1650 cc (350 cc more than stock), supercharged, with ALL KINDS of engine mods to get that fast, and it took him 4 miles to do it..
Tell this guy he is full of shit.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
TemtnF8 said:
stock the 2001 or 2 R1 was capable of 183mph... 227 is improbably yes, but not really that difficult to believe.

next to impossible on a R1 1000cc. Adding horsepower from a supercharger just couldnt do it. Wind resistance at high speeds increases exponentially. So horsepower must increase exponentially to keep up with it. There is just no way a 1000cc engine with supercharger can put out as much horsepower as a 1650cc supercharged Busa.. Not to mention the R1 is not NEARLY as aerodynamic as the Busa.
227 INDICATED speed, maybe, but at 12% speedo error, he was still only doing about 198

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tell him he's a wimp, I had my YZF600R up to 250mph. Turbo-charged and sprockets.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
:bsflag

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
send him my congrats

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
i just logged on and had to post this.... yeah 227mph is rediculous i dont think you need science to explain, just a real stinging slap

·
Registered
426 Posts
anything over 200mph on a bike and you need a LOT of hp. I remembering reading about those guys that try to break top speed records and their bikes are pushing out at least 300hp with all sort of mods.

Maybe it was his indicated speed as someone else said. I could see 195ish if someone modded the crap out of an R1.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Actually I heard the world record for motorcycle top speed was around 253mph... It might have been *on any motorcycle*, not just an open faired one.....

But at that point the rear wheel lost traction- or so I heard. In any case, I can't point to any actual source so take my words lightly.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
With a good sized turbo and gears it might be possible.

My cousin has a turbo 'Busa making 365rwhp on race gas. It runs the 1/4 in 8.8secs at 170mph. He had a friend run it up to 225 in 5th gear and decided it was fast enough and did want to shift into 6th.

BTW, its has custom exhaust, big ass turbo, air shifter, shift light, custom map program, swing arm stretched 5 inches, 18t sprocket up front, 38t sprock on back and some other stuff. He also is sponsored by Ski-Doo for racing snowmobiles on asphalt and is the current world record holder for his class.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
2001FZ1 said:
He had a friend run it up to 225 in 5th gear and decided it was fast enough and did want to shift into 6th.
Not to mention speedo error, so he was most likely *only* travelling at around 190mph... Not saying that's slow at all, of course.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
Ershank said:
Not to mention speedo error, so he was most likely *only* travelling at around 190mph... Not saying that's slow at all, of course.
True.

The stock 'Busa will run 190 (according to the magazines). Change the gearing around, add about 200horse and it will surely do 225+

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
It takes ALOT more horsepower than 200 for a motorcycle to go 225 mph. Try closer to 300 ponies I bet ya... Even a slippery Hayabusa..

·
Registered
290 Posts
frodaddy996 said:
I had a guy tell me the other day that he had an R1 that he had up to 227mph. He said he had a supercharger and maybe gearing changed. I know this is not possible, but I want to know if anyone could tell me how much horsepower an older R1 would have needed to attain this speed.
I could believe 180 or 190 something but 227 is ridiculous.
I want some science I can throw at him to prove he's full of it!
Tell him he forgot to readjust his speedo after the gearing change. He needs a speedohealer

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
He said he had a supercharger and maybe gearing changed.

Do you mean to tell me the man who is capable of doing 227MPH can't remember if he changed his gearing or you don't remember if he told you he changed his gearing. I would laugh anyone who told me they have done 227mph, especially if they can't remember there mods. The guy sounds like a toolbox to me. :pisson

1 - 20 of 32 Posts