Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Down 13 hp on the KTM RC390, and slightly heavier. I wonder what the price will end up like.

It does look nicer than the 250, though.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Be still my heart. Honda putting out something that people actually want?! What madness is this? Good. Get the flames of competition fired up.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I really dont get why everyone is instantly trying to compare this to the KTM instead of the Kawi. The KTM has almost 25% more displacement and assuming this stays similar in price to the 250 the KTM is $2k more expensive. Hardly apples to apples.

Honda isn't trying to compete with KTM, they are trying to compete with Kawasaki.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
It has got to be good to see Kawasaki and Honda (and KTM) getting bikes into this segment. Basically, this is where all of the new young riders will come from - simply put, insuring bikes that are larger displacement is much more difficult. I sure hope that Suzuki and Yamaha are listening. Yamaha has a smaller (I think 125) Sportbike which apes the R6 that with a little displacement increase could have an impact in the segment as well.

There is a reason Honda is producing the 500cc bikes again. It is sound worldwide business.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I really dont get why everyone is instantly trying to compare this to the KTM instead of the Kawi. The KTM has almost 25% more displacement and assuming this stays similar in price to the 250 the KTM is $2k more expensive. Hardly apples to apples.

Honda isn't trying to compete with KTM, they are trying to compete with Kawasaki.
No word on KTM pricing yet, so we'll have to wait and see if they're competing or not.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

So what you're saying is this new 300 might hang with a 15 year old $800 clapped out ninja around the track? Cool. :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Right now people shop for a Ninja 300 or CBR500R. Now they get to choose between CBR300R, Ninja 300, and CBR500R. Good job Honda, you're now competing with yourself.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Right now people shop for a Ninja 300 or CBR500R. Now they get to choose between CBR300R, Ninja 300, and CBR500R. Good job Honda, you're now competing with yourself.
Did you forget that Honda currently has the CBR250R? Wouldn't that also be competing with the CBR500R? And, the Ninja 300 competes with the 650.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
hondas 500 only has 45 hp. The kawi had nearly 60 when the 250 had 25. Thats considerably more, theyre like different classes. Now they have bikes with 25 30 and 45 hp. I dont see why anyone would buy a new 250 over a new 300 from either brand. And this cbr300r is a hell of a lot closer to the cbr500r than kawis 300 is to the 650 and than the ninja 250 was to the ninja 500. The most common comparison for new beginner bikes is ninja 300 vs cbr500r. Now its going to be Ninja 300 vs cbr300r vs cbr500r. I feel like this was a retardrd move for Honda.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This bike will be 86lbs lighter than my 500R. I really cant wait to ride it, the reason I sold my CBR250 was It just lacked a little extra oomph in power. If this 300 has it I would not hesitant to trade since the handling will be really a treat at 342lbs light.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hondas 500 only has 45 hp. The kawi had nearly 60 when the 250 had 25. Thats considerably more, theyre like different classes. Now they have bikes with 25 30 and 45 hp. I dont see why anyone would buy a new 250 over a new 300 from either brand. And this cbr300r is a hell of a lot closer to the cbr500r than kawis 300 is to the 650 and than the ninja 250 was to the ninja 500. The most common comparison for new beginner bikes is ninja 300 vs cbr500r. Now its going to be Ninja 300 vs cbr300r vs cbr500r. I feel like this was a retardrd move for Honda.
This was a smart move to make their small bike more competitive with Kawasaki's. The CBR500 is in a completely different price class. It's HP is low because it was designed for larger markets with license restrictions.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Honda playing catch up to Kawasaki again I see. :D

It's definitely better looking then the CBR250R. If it's a single, no thanks. The Ninja is such a charmer for a small bike. The parallel twin is way smoother then any thumper. Honda's 500's & 700's are dogs. The NC700X has one thing going for it; MPG. That's it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts