Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I was assuming that the EBR's traction controll would be some last ditched, after thought.

But from this review, it sounds like it really is a competative unit.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I don't really think anything on a Buell/EBR is an afterthought.

as soon as I can (meaning, as soon as they have a fucking Canadian dealership within a thousand miles of me) I want to testride one.
Also, the 1190rx officially takes the crown from the KTM RC8 as the bike with the best tail section in my books. damn.
that is a smoking hot looking bike.

How is a 420 pound dry weight, compared to other litre bikes?

One thing I definitely don't like is the white on black display.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Having the older 1125R Buell, I can say working on it I think the engineering thought is very different and better than the others. It's way easier to work on than the Triumphs, Hondas, Aprillia, Kawasakis that I've worked on. Simple things like no spacers on the wheels makes life a lot easier.

Note - the 1190RX weight is a hybrid - it's a curb weight, minus fuel.

Though some magazines only consider wet weight to be 1/2 tank of fuel.

Ducati Panigale: (414 lb) curb weight)

2012 weights;

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
There is a commercial out about EBR and Amsoil that worries me. EBR says he was having premature engine wear with the 1190, but Amsoil (they're superior)fixed it.

IMO, this only masks a real problem. What if, first oil change, someone uses Valvoline, or Mobil 1? Will you re-visit this engine wear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiCXkrUbnM

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Seems to me like the standard "We use this!" crap you get with ads for vehicles, and backroom deals.

No different than Rotella says that their oil will make any diesel engine last a million miles. blah blah fuckity blah.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
If I had that kind of cash and was looking for a sportbike, the question would not be EBR or Ducati/Aprilia/BMW, or would be what color do I want my 1190RX in?

A totally unique design. I really hope they can get their price point down, possibly by introducing lower spec, and naked models. That way they'll sell more bikes and get a broader dealer network.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: The Predator

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
There is a commercial out about EBR and Amsoil that worries me. EBR says he was having premature engine wear with the 1190, but Amsoil (they're superior)fixed it.

IMO, this only masks a real problem. What if, first oil change, someone uses Valvoline, or Mobil 1? Will you re-visit this engine wear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiCXkrUbnM
I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a paid advertisement for Amsoil, and they have to say something to promote the product. Also who knows what he considers "premature" or even how much wear that is, it could be 10k miles, or 100k miles and it could be wear that's not even measurable.

As a side note, Amsoil is some fantastic stuff, and DID solve a couple of problems we used to have in our race trucks, but that has nothing to do with this discussion.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I dislike amsoil.

Rotella FTW.

Reactions: Shamrock627

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
that thing sucks it has forks still.

joking aside, that instrument cluster tach sucks. I can't stand a lcd display for the tach. it's always hard to see in daylight. and the brake light being way out there on that hideous extension instead of being in the tail.....crap design. now if you want to get a different bracket the light they come with will be a pos.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
that thing sucks it has forks still.

joking aside, that instrument cluster tach sucks. I can't stand a lcd display for the tach. it's always hard to see in daylight. and the brake light being way out there on that hideous extension instead of being in the tail.....crap design. now if you want to get a different bracket the light they come with will be a pos.
More powerful , and lighter, than a Yamaha though! :eek:nfloor

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I don't see the ebr riders anywhere but in the back of the grid at races. And they complained about the lack of engine power.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Just how thick do you have to be to miss the context of that question?
Secondly, it's good to know I am right about it being lighter, AND more powerful than a production R1.

Cause you just moved on to a different subject entirely. Have a nice day.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Just how thick do you have to be to miss the context of that question?
Secondly, it's good to know I am right about it being lighter, AND more powerful than a production R1.

Cause you just moved on to a different subject entirely. Have a nice day.
Hey son of 2old2race, a sportbike is a race bike. Not sure what you think they are but it's not a cruiser designed for comfort and long trips.
You realize this forum is a forum about street legal race bikes.

Everyone with a r1 knows how much Yamaha restricted it with the stock tune and other settings. Once changesd via a flash of the ecu the power is greatly increased.
Again ebr struggles to get their bike competitive with a r1 of graves Yamaha.

I know neither bike are stock but it shows which package has a better potential. In my view that makes it a better platform. One that does pursued me as a buyer.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Hey son of 2old2race, a sportbike is a race bike. Not sure what you think they are but it's not a cruiser designed for comfort and long trips.
You realize this forum is a forum about street legal race bikes.

Everyone with a r1 knows how much Yamaha restricted it with the stock tune and other settings. Once changesd via a flash of the ecu the power is greatly increased.
Again ebr struggles to get their bike competitive with a r1 of graves Yamaha.

I know neither bike are stock but it shows which package has a better potential. In my view that makes it a better platform. One that does pursued me as a buyer.
are you seriously THAT biased to the blue tuning forks?
Dear fucking god and I thought I was a Honda fan.

That's cool. I can do that with literally ANY bike. ANY engine. I am pretty sure that the EBR will have some power adder or another available. Yamahaahahahaha is not the first and only maker with power available in the aftermarket.

As for being competitive, well, can we give it more than 1 or 2 seasons before we write off a new model, from a new manufacturer, with a new platform?
Or does every new bike have to come out and dominate the race season across the globe before it's viable to you?

I also don't know about your bike, maybe it is a badass race machine. But my primary ride is definitely NOT a race bike.
Like I said originally, it might have forks (which are a total compromise and a shitty solution to a problem which has not yet been fully solved), but it is more powerful and lighter than a brand new R1. Right off the showroom floor baby.

Reactions: F4sSprintST

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
are you seriously ...
If you're waiting for serpentracer to make any sense, you've got quite a wait ahead of you. He's been on a long term quest to be wrong about everything, and is remarkably successful at it. He will occasionally slip up and say something that accords with reality, but it's not the norm.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 29 Posts