Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I'd sure like to see the sales metrics they have concerning all their models. If this is true, my guess is that they've just priced people out of the 600 market. The prices of the bikes have gone higher and higher, with the current 600RR MSRP at $11,540. Back when 600's were $8k bikes, it made more sense that they were the 'entry level' (I use that term loosely for a 100hp bike) choice. In that case, it makes sense to call armistice on the technology arms race that is the supersport market, and bring the price back down.

The same with the R6. Its MSRP is over $10k now, and it hasn't been updated since, what, 2006?

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
So, this wasn't an announcement. It was nothing more than speculation. It's like reading MCN.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
He stated in the video, "This is not a Fact, I heard it through the grape vine." nothing to see here. Secondly, the 600RR engine is used in the MOTO2 class for all the bikes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I remember the days of 8k 600s and I kick myself for not getting a 600 back than. Now with the 11k msrps and sky high insurance its a pipe dream for me to buy a new 600.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd sure like to see the sales metrics they have concerning all their models. If this is true, my guess is that they've just priced people out of the 600 market. The prices of the bikes have gone higher and higher, with the current 600RR MSRP at $11,540. Back when 600's were $8k bikes, it made more sense that they were the 'entry level' (I use that term loosely for a 100hp bike) choice. In that case, it makes sense to call armistice on the technology arms race that is the supersport market, and bring the price back down.

The same with the R6. Its MSRP is over $10k now, and it hasn't been updated since, what, 2006?
This is what I think every time I read an article about motorcycle sales being down. If they would focus on reducing costs and pricing maybe it wouldn't be so hard to make sales. They don't seem to update the bikes anymore, they just change the color schemes and raise the price. Where is all the money going? It sure isn't going into R&D budgets.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts

You forgot to mention that back then, when 600s were $8K bikes, literbikes were "just" $11K bikes. Nowadays, 600s are $11K bikes and literbikes are $14K bikes! Back in 2002 a Yamaha R6 was $8000 and the R1 was $10,300, nowadays there is an even b***** gap between them, not much, but it's $2,700 between R1 and R6, so that is not the problem.

Every bike went up in price, and both, 600 and 1000 bike sales are in the dumps.

It's even worse for the Japanese companies than the European ones because of their size. Their overhead is WAY higher, they had to sell a lot more bikes to break even than the european companies...

It has been a great time to be a motorcycle rider, even today "long in the tooth" bikes are awesome.

Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road, the same crowd that now cries for the old 250/400RR bikes will be crying for the 600s too.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
I remember the days of 8k 600s and I kick myself for not getting a 600 back than. Now with the 11k msrps and sky high insurance its a pipe dream for me to buy a new 600.
I bought my 09 zx6r for $9000 taxes in out the door. And I didn't even really try to haggle. So you can still get good prices on 600s, you just need to buy the leftovers of the previous year - which is no biggie when the only thing that changes for a couple of years is the paint colour options until they do a full redesign. And 600 redesigns are only happening every 3-5+ years these days.

·
Registered
592 Posts
:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor:eek:nfloor

I just made a Youtube video that according to my sources the speculation is the world ends tomorrow.

Visit my channel!

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
So, this wasn't an announcement. It was nothing more than speculation. It's like reading MCN.
Exactly.

And that is a pretty bad photoshop of the new 1000RR on a 600RR. Lame all around.

they will not discontinue the 600RR. At this late point in the year, they will probably just come up with new color schemes. It is a good bike still, although a bit outdated.

Honda seems to be focusing on other things like making 250's and other smaller displacement bikes less than 600cc. My thought is that with inflation and the poor condition of the economy, people are not buying new bikes so what is the point of making a new bike that only a few fortunate people can afford. They can make more money by selling smaller bikes at lower prices. That is how they do it in the rest of the world.

Also on that note, as much as I love 600RR's my next bike is going to be a liter bike (used) even if Honda comes out with a new 600.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I'd like to know why the current CBR600RR costs several thousand dollars more than the CBR600RR of a few years ago when aside from paint they are the same exact bike. Gee, maybe that's why they aren't selling well. Ya think?

I bought my 1098s in damn near mint condition from a dealer for less than a new CBR600. Thanks Honda, but I'll take this used bike over here instead.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I posted that vid on the 600RR forum, promptly got called a troll and someone talked shit on my state for some reason, then the mods yanked the thread wtf haha

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ouch...just got bitch slapped...so much for making $40k profit.

Honda comes out with a 500 twin for half the cost...and still has new CBR600 model...fugly lookin too.

Honda 2013 CBR®500R Motorcycles

My 2012 CBR600 ABS is still sweet looking ( all black) but for the riding I do; the 500 would've been better for me and cheaper...definately would been my choice over the 250CBR/600CBR.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts