Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently bought a used 2010 tank vision 250 topline khaos and, from the get go, I've had some trouble. While I am not new to motorcycles, I admit that I am not very knowledgable when it come to diagnosing certain issues. Here is a bit of background for the bike: the original owner bought the bike simply because it looked cool. He then decided to take it to a bar to show off and ended up drunk. He went to get on the bike but fell off, causing the bike to fall on its left side. He then tried to pick the bike back up and proceeded to drop it on its right side. This broke the front fairing, the front brake handle, and the left mirror. The foot shifter was bent back and the foot brake was bent as well. Know that you know about the bike her is what I've done so far and her is what is still wrong. I've straightened out both the foot break and foot shifter, I've fastened the loose front fairing and fixed, as best I could, the left mirror. Now here is what is still wrong with the bike. The idle needs to be adjusted, the foot shifter is loose and doesn't always shift, the bike will start just fine and shift into first gear just fine but, after stopping at an intersection, I try to take of and the bike will either, very slowly and with some sputtering, start going again, or just sputter and stall. I've also tried to up shift to second gear and the bike will immediately stall, no matter how smoothly I let out the clutch. I've also noticed that the spedometer doesn't work and the tachometer is very sporadic. I want to take this entire bike apart, clean it, and put it back together... Starting with the carbs. I want to get this bike back up and running but I just don't know where to start. Please help!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
First off, the return key.

Use it

now for your bike.

It is worthless as a bike, has no resale value.
This means you can do whatever you want to the bike and you will never destroy its value. You have the perfect learning to wrench bike.

But before you jump into learning decide a few things: how much money are you willing to spend on this, how much time, effort? What is your goal, if you want to have a fast reliable/bike start over with a different bike, if you want to learn, are you committed, will this learning benefit you in any way, and finally, do you have any tools?

This is he best on-line learning to wrench tutorial I have found (Motorcycle Repair Course). if I had started with it I would have busted less knuckles, bolts, and jobs; Made more money, time, and good will; Learned faster, less painfully, and more throughly than I did by doing it all the hard way. You may also want to check at communities colleges for small engine classes/introduction to mechanics.

idle adjustment should be a screw/ knob on the carbs

wiggle the shifter and look where the slop is. If you can see where the slop is, fix it. If you can not see the slop, it is inside the tranny and will be a very complex process to fix.

For your engine dieing problems, I suggest going throught the carbs. Also check your choke see if it helps.

Check your speedo cable, make sure it is plugged in to your wheel, lubed, and connected to your speedometer.

Your tachometer I think is electronic, check connections, wires, and if both cylinders actually fire.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Your running issues could be as simple as the idel control screw or knob has had a smack in the accident . It usually on the left side of the bike down around the carbs . It should be reasonably obvious . Take some pics post em up and I can probably point it out .
Gear slop is probably because the linkage bushes are crunched . Sometimes a few strategically placed washers can sort it out .
The cutting out when going into second could be faulty clutch cut out switch or side stand switch .. bypass those as a starting point and see if it still does it .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, thank you all for your input. Second, sorry for the huge paragraph.

Now, is the idle screw the big black one with the spring around its threading?

how would i access the linkage bushes?

I'm gonna look for both cut off switches but this is not a regular bike so certain things aren't where they usually are.

Come this Thursday, i am going to take as much apart as i can, using the given wrenching website, and clean and repair as much as i can. Ill also post pictures to give you all a better idea of what is wrong. thank you all again!!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Now, is the idle screw the big black one with the spring around its threading?
probably

how would i access the linkage bushes?

see the lever and linkage, wiggle the lever and see where there is slop. replace the sloppy parts.
linkage bushes are the plastic parts on the ends of the linkage(the metal connecting rod), and the most common failure point.

I'm gonna look for both cut off switches but this is not a regular bike so certain things aren't where they usually are.
clutch switch should be on the clutch lever, kick stand switch on the kickstand.

Come this Thursday, i am going to take as much apart as i can, using the given wrenching website, and clean and repair as much as i can. Ill also post pictures to give you all a better idea of what is wrong. thank you all again!!!
sorry, i have class on Thursday and it would be a bit of a commute for me but have fun anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the late response but, thanks to all of your help, the bike is running like new. the biggest problem was the carburetor. half the jets were clogged allowing only one piston to fire properly.

Now that the bike is receiving the proper amount of fuel, it is running fine. Now i have to adjust the idle for peak performance because right now, it is dying when left to idle.

The wrenching website was a huge help and a great inspiration. Thank you jeff08 for that.

All i need to do now is a bit of fairing repair and i also need to replace a few broken parts. A website with parts for this bike would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ALL again and happy, and safe, riding!!!!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I had never heard of them and still dont know what one looks like sooo not much help here . If I knew what they called it in the UK I might have something .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
once you get the bike up and running, it is a great bike. you just have to have a bit of patience and the willingness to learn how to properly wrench a bike.

Now that i have the bike up and running, everything is fine. it runs just like any other bike would. the only thing to do now, like i already said, is find a few more parts to complete this project.

for what i paid and put into this bike, it was, and is, well worth it.

do not discount the lesser known Chinese bikes, they may not have bike making down like the US does but they are getting ever closer to an inexpensive and reliable motorcycle that could easily compete with the better known brands... Mark my words...

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,896 Posts
once you get the bike up and running, it is a great bike. you just have to have a bit of patience and the willingness to learn how to properly wrench a bike.

Now that i have the bike up and running, everything is fine. it runs just like any other bike would. the only thing to do now, like i already said, is find a few more parts to complete this project.

for what i paid and put into this bike, it was, and is, well worth it.

do not discount the lesser known Chinese bikes, they may not have bike making down like the US does but they are getting ever closer to an inexpensive and reliable motorcycle that could easily compete with the better known brands... Mark my words...
Keep on dreaming. When you get a good bike you'll realize how bad your Chinese bike is...

I had 4 of them.

And your bike is not representative of Chinese bikes. LiFan, Qjiang, Haojue, those are. Your bike was just a product made by... God knows which factory, for a USA branding company, with little emphasis on reliability and big emphasis on price. the FOB, somewhere in China, of a 250cc like yours is around $350-500...

What do you expect to get for that price?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
susser; he now has a motorcycle which, after enough time spent squinting/sweating/worrying/breaking knuckles, will move its pistons up/down, rotate its tires, and go blinky blinky at intersections.

he can learn the basics of maintenance and repair in a fail=no-loss environment.

when he does move on to a new bike, he won't make stupid mistakes like not maintaining it.

all in all i see no problem with people learning on cheep expendable stuff. indeed most people would probably be better off if they did something similar.

As for kaos vs lifan and its knock offs.
If lifan still uses that one cam lobe for both valves design. I am going to say that the khaos I saw (I have only seen 1) was a cut above in terms of quality.

Now the lifan engine does have its uses, it is probably the simplest 4 stroke engine/tranny I have ever seen and they are almost impossible to assemble wrong (this means my little brother had to try 4or 5 times before he managed to screw up so bad the engine grenaded).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts