Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow riders

I have been riding for 4 years and i want to upgrade. I need your advices.
I want to buy either an r1 spec
installed Hid's , d3 grips, asv shorty levers, hotbodies windscreen, watson flushmount turn signals, fender eliminator kit, 2400kmiles for 8k plus ttl

Or a used 2012 zx14
condition with only 2400 miles on it . This bike comes with a great looking set of carbon fiber slip ons , power commander with custom map , Pazzo levers and genmar bar risers . 12 pl ttl

I need to know which one is the better deal.
I like to do longer rides maybe 100 mile each way
Comfort is good if possible . So do you guys think the extra 4 k is worth it for the upgrade vs the r1. Maintenence wise how much in the lobg run. I plan to keep this for 10 years. For the money and upgrade which one ?

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Pure sport bike or sport/touring bike?

Big difference in size, comfort, ergos - ZX14 gonna be the more comfortable ride, but what, about 100 extra pounds?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know. I sat on a busa and it was too wide and heavy stock. But the zx 14 had new exhaust. Should be lighter right. I am 5'8 and weight 140
Stock zx exhaust weigh around 40lb. Does putting slip on save weight or full exhaust

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Slip on should be the biggest weight savings, i don't think a full system would save much more, but that would depend if it's got cats and where those are

Big benefit of the full system is flow

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about the price. The r1 is a deal locally vs dealer on zx14. What do you guys think for a person keeping this bike. I am really digging the 14 with the mods but that r1 is a steal

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
If the R1 is comfortable enough for you, I'd go for it.

You are a lightweight rider, not excessively tall, you shouldn't need the room of a Busa or ZX14, and that extra size and weight is always with you

$4,000 isn't chump change either.

Have you checked insurance on both?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the R1 is comfortable enough for you, I'd go for it.

You are a lightweight rider, not excessively tall, you shouldn't need the room of a Busa or ZX14, and that extra size and weight is always with you

$4,000 isn't chump change either.

Have you checked insurance on both?
I got 250 yr with my gsxr basic

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah this 4 g is still on my mind. What you do in my situation
I do like to sit upright more though. Rather have the predictable of a 14
R1 is more uncontrollable am i right. I have good throttle control

·
Registered
495 Posts
How about the price. The r1 is a deal locally vs dealer on zx14. What do you guys think for a person keeping this bike. I am really digging the 14 with the mods but that r1 is a steal
You indicate the R1 is from an individual, yet you say "plus ttl". I thought only dealers added tax? Are you in an area of the world where used vehicle sales between individuals are taxed?

Will you need to finance a purchase of this size, or can you pay cash? For me, not having had a vehicle payment in many years, I would be very tempted to stick with a vehicle that I could purchase outright vs. finance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's a toy for you, not full time transportation.

That being said just do whatever lights your fire!

Personally I don't like the busa and zx14r. Too big and porky.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You indicate the R1 is from an individual, yet you say "plus ttl". I thought only dealers added tax? Are you in an area of the world where used vehicle sales between individuals are taxed?

Will you need to finance a purchase of this size, or can you pay cash? For me, not having had a vehicle payment in many years, I would be very tempted to stick with a vehicle that I could purchase outright vs. finance.
You still have to pay sales tax when you register it. At least you do here. They either use the bill of sale or they look up the KBB value and use that.

It's a toy for you, not full time transportation.

That being said just do whatever lights your fire!

Personally I don't like the busa and zx14r. Too big and porky.
Ever been on one? Like one in motion under your control. Sitting on one in the dealership and waxing philosophically about how you think it will handle doesn't count.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
You still have to pay sales tax when you register it. At least you do here. They either use the bill of sale or they look up the KBB value and use that.

Ever been on one? Like one in motion under your control. Sitting on one in the dealership and waxing philosophically about how you think it will handle doesn't count.
Don't go defending those fat ass bikes around here. We won't stand for it. :nono :p

·
Registered
495 Posts
You still have to pay sales tax when you register it. At least you do here. They either use the bill of sale or they look up the KBB value
not all states make you do that. That was the point of my asking the question.

Now you come along and make it sound like a blanket statement across the world. Do you ever get out of Nebraska?

I know California (and I now know) Nebraska does a sales tax between individuals. I know Arizona does not. I have no idea where the OP is posting from. I still have 47 US states, the States of Mexico and all the provinces of Canada unknown to me. And that's just North America.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Don't go defending those fat ass bikes around here. We won't stand for it. :nono :p
Right. My bad.

Now you come along and make it sound like a blanket statement across the world. Do you ever get out of Nebraska?
That wasn't my intention. I was just giving an example I know to be true from personal experience. I know that Wyoming and Colorado charge sales tax as well.. I bet if you researched it you would find more states will charge you sales tax than those that don't.

And since I never really address the Op's question, I think you'll be happiest on the R1. Reason's being, first and foremost, $4k is a good chunk of change, you think 200 miles is a long ride, and everybody knows a 14 is too fat to turn well. It ranks somewhere between a Harley Ultra glide and the USS Gerald R. Ford.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
First you have to decide what class of motorcycle you want, those arent even competitive models. Which is the best deal, largely depends on which one you really want. You dont buy something just cause its a good deal.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Either way try and talk then down. The 14 is the way I think you should go from what you said. I loved my 14 and will have another. If I was not doing track days I would still have a 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 87 Posts