Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*** Price $12,200. I will soon sell this bike to the dealer. I won't get as much, but the tax on a new bike will be reduced with a trade-in and I'll come out pretty well.

This 2010 BMW S1000RR is “Thunder Gray”, which is a black paint with metallic flecks of blue and green suspended in it, accented with what BMW calls “Ostra Gray” on the tank and rear swingarm. The bike is factory-equipped with the Quickshifter, ABS, and adjustable Traction Control (Rain Mode, Street Mode, Race Mode, "Slick Tire" Mode). Yes, if desired, you can turn the electronic aids off, though I never have. I added TechSpec C3 tank grip material and put some clear protective film on the fairing. All service has been performed on-time at CycleWerks of Barrington, and I have all documents to show it. The bike has 5,000 miles on the odometer. I am still riding and enjoying the bike!

This bike went down once in tall grass, suffering cosmetic damage, all of which has been replaced with new parts except for a scratch on the left side of the gas tank (see pic). The original engine failed last year at 3,370 miles, as a few other 2010 engines did, and was replaced under warranty with a brand new engine shipped from Germany. You are buying a motor that has only 1600 miles on it!

This bike is shockingly fast, and handles like a much smaller bike. At the top of motorcycle reviews for both riding on the street and running at the track. The power-to-weight ratio is better than a Bugatti Veyron! You should budget for gear, insurance, and tires if you want this bike.

$13,200 by cashier’s check, please. For your safety and the bike's safety, no test rides will be permitted. I am happy to ride the bike along side you, so you can see and hear the bike in action. I am the owner, with no bank claims or liens on the bike. I have been forthcoming about all issues with the bike; there is nothing more to disclose.

If you are reading this posting or others from me, the bike is still for sale.

- John

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike going down in the tall grass was because I took the turn too hot. Luckily, there was very little damage to me or to the bike, as described above. All affected panels were replaced (I have the original, now-cracked ones in the garage) and the bar end. There were scratches on parts of the motor, but now there is a brand new motor. The scratch on the tank is the only remaining scar. At the time I had full-coverage insurance that would buy me a brand new bike if it was totaled so I encouraged the dealer to find any little frame damage they could so I could get a new bike, but there was absolutely no frame damage, no suspension damage, and nothing that would cost nearly enough.

The engine failure was diagnosed by BMW. They sent oil and gasoline samples to Germany, then sent the whole damn motor to Germany. They never could tell me why the connecting rod snapped. It was just a freak accident, and although there were problems with the crank on some of the 2010 motors, their failures were not similar to mine. There were also issues with con-rod bolts in the 2012 motors, but that was corrected before my motor failed. The new motor is a 2012 motor, built after the con-rod bolt issues were addressed, built to the 2010 spec. It should be a very sturdy motor, and BMW didn't charge me a cent for the motor or the install.

- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts