Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still have at least 3 1/2 months before my 2009 R1 arrives but I thought I would start a picture and vid thread to see peoples opinions on the bike.

I know I will hear the good, the bad and the ugly I'm sure and probably the last 2 more than anything.

Having owned and 03 R1, 06 R1 and a 07 R1, it is easy for me to see and feel how this model has progressed over the years. The technology that is being put into this 09 R1 is nothing short of amazing to me.

Here are few nice vids clips describing the bike adn the new advances brought in from MotoGP and the M1.

YouTube - NEW 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 Rossi EU commercial

YouTube - 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 tech features - born from MotoGP

YouTube - Colin Edwards on the 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1

YouTube - 2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 engine technology explanation

Here is a GIF image showing the changes to the R1 over the last few years.

The gauge cluster has changed signifigantly this year finally adding a gear indicator. Also added to the riders use is a 3 Position Mapping Switch for the rider to select between 3 modes: 1st Mode is for all around performance, 2nd mode is for maximum low and midrange power and the 3rd is for throttle sensitive situations such as wet roads/track.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the suspension? They said that one side was bound and the other was rebound? What's that about?
It's simply because the front suspension is affected as a whole single unit so it actually will effect the bike evenly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wooohooo!! Got my 1st upclose time with the new R1 Saturday!! DAMN IT!! Mine needs to get here ASAP!!! :banana

Attachments

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I saw the black one with red accents on Saturday...first I saw the bike, then I saw the credit app to go with it.

Took a LOT of willpower, but I managed to get out of there without filling anything out. That thing is SEX.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
This just will not leave my list of "next bikes"...They have a white/red one at the local Yamaha dealer and I just couldn't stop looking at it (well, that and the 09 675 next to it).

Very nice!

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
OK, but haven't we determined that this is just a parlour trick? It's not really making a lot more power ... or really any more power? It's geared down from the last R1.

The styling is growing on me, but the technology ... is it really that astounding, or will this get lost on the wayside?

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
OK, but haven't we determined that this is just a parlour trick? It's not really making a lot more power ... or really any more power? It's geared down from the last R1.

The styling is growing on me, but the technology ... is it really that astounding, or will this get lost on the wayside?
It has better mid range, but a weaker top end than previous gen. Suspension is no better than 04-08 years. Not really an earth shattering bike. Its reviews have been so-so with the mags as well. A crossplane crankshaft has been around for many years, but durability issues have limited it to one race engines. Not a technology I would trust until we see some 09's in a few years rack up some trouble free miles. You would be stunned at the extra moving parts needed in that engine just to make is rideable without horrific vibration.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got the chance to take a demo ride on the new R1 a few weeks ago. It was awesome. I would sell a kidney to own one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts