Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2009 Ninja 650R that was in great condition, all of the service completed and records kept etc. No accidents/scratches (If you believe the owner).

Right now I'm having a pretty major issue with the steering, when I have the front wheel straight it seems to be fine. When I go into turns it feels like the bike is pulling to both the left/right. This isn't a soft pull it's pulling pretty hard when I turn at all speeds.

When I try to counter the pulling it feels like it wants to stay pulled to the right or left. The bike is lowered and the front tire seems a bit odd based on the wear pattern.

I'm going to check the tire pressure as soon as I get it insured but any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What are you talking about? When you turn a bike it should pull in the direction you're trying to turn, otherwise you'd be going straight. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle before? Maybe you're talking about counter steering...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If I understand correctly it sound like the bike wants to fall over. My only guess would be the bike was lowered improperly. If the rear is dropped more than the front the steering will be all out of wack. Same goes for the back being higher than the front. My suggestion is to have the bike raised to stock height then test ride it. After you get everything aligned and if you neeeeeeeeeeeeed to lower it make sure it is lowered at both ends the same distance.

Years and years of testing go into seeing up a motorcycle to be balanced to what that machine is made for. When people lower a bike it throws everything out of wack.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My apologies, that was hard to understand. This is my second bike and I've been only been riding for about two years so I apologize if I'm not describing it correctly. Basically what I mean is when I steer lightly left/right it will begin trying to turn harder to that side and feel like it's "pulling" away from me to the left/right side. I wouldn't say it wants to fall over it just feels like the front tire wants make a sharp turn to the right/left each time I try turning thus making it hard to ride.

It feels like someone is trying to pull the bars to make the turn sharper when I'm trying to make a relatively small turn. It turns every small turn into a full blown tire turn that can potentially wreck me.

Not trying to describe counter steering. This pull feels unnatural and I've rode a couple different bikes including a 650R that didn't feel even close to this "pull".

My description honestly sucks.. I've never experienced this type of issue before. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
steering head bearings?
tire wear?
tire pressure?
bent forks?
Hopefully it isn't bent forks, I would be heartbroken. I'm going to try swapping out the front tire tomorrow and I'll look into the bearings as well. Thanks for the advice!

EDIT

Alright turns out the issue is a crappy front tire that has severe wear on the right/left sides which seems to be a common issue on this tire. Swapped the tire out and now it handles like a dream. The proper term would be over steering, I apologize for the confusion English isn't my first language.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If the front is lowered and the rear is stock height, the bike will tend to want to turn-in hard which may be what you're describing. Can you find out exactly what was done front and rear to lower it?

What does the front tire look like? Different types of funny tread wear can both be an idication of and cause of something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the front is lowered and the rear is stock height, the bike will tend to want to turn-in hard which may be what you're describing. Can you find out exactly what was done front and rear to lower it?

What does the front tire look like? Different types of funny tread wear can both be an idication of and cause of something.
Thank you for the response! The front tire seemed worn out on the right and left sides and perfectly fine in the center tread. I swapped out the tire and it has fixed the issue completely thus far. I looked up the tire that was on the front and it seems to be a common complaint that the sides wear quickly leading to dangerous oversteering.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
steering issues are usually the front tire doing it.

I was going to tell you to change it out but you beat me to it. I've rode guy's bikes that they swore it's not the tire because it doesn't look worn funny etc but we changed the tire to a new one and they're always blown away at the difference. in my experience it doesn't have to look odd to make it handle badly.
this becomes very obvious when you use many different tires on the same bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts