Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the great time on last year's cross country trip it's time to hit up the places I missed the first time around. We were hoping to be able to make it to California, but a change in a business trip made that impossible as we now have 2 days less of riding on the front end, and a day less on the back end.

Here's the highlights of this trip:
Salt Lake City (Antelope State Park)
Great Basin National Park
Zion National Park
Bryce Canyon National Park
Capitol Reef National Park
Canyonlands National Park
Four Corners Monument
Mesa Verde National Park
Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Great Sand Dunes National Park

Looking at the map, is there anything else on the route that anyone thinks is a must see, or any roads that are nearby that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
On the way back why not hit Kentucky, West Virginia and the Appalachian mountains have some great riding from WV to PA!

It's that or go through boring Indiana, Illinois and Ohio!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the way back why not hit Kentucky, West Virginia and the Appalachian mountains have some great riding from WV to PA!

We've done the East coast area a lot, and we already have 2 600 mile days at the end, but I thought about it! Maybe for '09 or '10!

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
I would skip a huge section of I-90 (so so so so boring) and head slightly up into MI, take a ferry across the lake, and then head back down to your original route via WI which has some amazing roads. Will time allow?

If you need anything as you're passing through Chicago, hit me up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The trail between Sugar Loaf and South Brush Creek. I've been all over the states on 4 cross country trips. This is one to make time to see. You can camp for free in a meadow at Brooklyn Lake, or pay to stay at Sugarloaf.

Its an alpine area with pristine alpine lakes and streams below the peaks, with meadows just blanketed with wildflowers during the summer. It will surely blow your mind.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/mbr/local-resources/images/snowycamp.gif
-Sean

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Looks like you're doing mostly interstate through Midwest? When in Nebraska jump off I-80 at Ogallala and take Hwy 26 up to Scottsbluff. You'll go right by Chimney Rock and Scottsbluff National Monument, two of the most famous landmarks on the Oregon Trail that all the settlers in their wagon trains passed by on their way out West. Two lane road but NO traffic. Rip along to your hearts content. The silence and history hang so heavy in the air you can feel it in your soul. Getting back down to Wyomng from their is no big deal.

One of my goals in life is to go see Zion and Bryce Canyon.

·
Wildcat Fanatic
1,519 Posts

I was going to say this same thing, verbatim!

Markgm, have you ever been through Kentucky??? Seriously, it's one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see. I don't know about Illinois, but I can tell you firsthand that Ohio and (especially) Indiana are FLAT AND BORING. Did I mention especially Indiana???

You wouldn't regret coming through Kentucky, I promise you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to say this same thing, verbatim!

Markgm, have you ever been through Kentucky??? Seriously, it's one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see. I don't know about Illinois, but I can tell you firsthand that Ohio and (especially) Indiana are FLAT AND BORING. Did I mention especially Indiana???

You wouldn't regret coming through Kentucky, I promise you.
I'll have to see if I can swing that. It's already 2 high mileage days, this can't be much more!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

It adds 25 miles, looks like it's a go!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would skip a huge section of I-90 (so so so so boring) and head slightly up into MI, take a ferry across the lake, and then head back down to your original route via WI which has some amazing roads. Will time allow?

If you need anything as you're passing through Chicago, hit me up.
We did that route last year on our way though Badlands National Park, and you're right, it's amazing!

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
sounds like a fun trip... im gonna have to do something next year... so when you go on these do you mostly camp or stay in a motel/hotel...? or friends...?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dude, your making a big mistake by not going South first to Key West, then to Houston, then to San Diego, up the coast to Seattle, on to Prudhoe Bay, back through the Great White North, and Toronto, to Bangor Maine.

But you have a ok route plan, and list so I'm going to steal it and make it mine.

Thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sounds like a fun trip... im gonna have to do something next year... so when you go on these do you mostly camp or stay in a motel/hotel...? or friends...?
In the urban areas we stay in a hotel, at any of the state or national parks we'll camp. If you look at the spreadsheet picture all the way on the right you can just make out if it says camping or hotel (with the exception of the first night, we're stopping at my parents' place for the night.)

your going to be close to moab and arches nat park dont miss them
We hit them up last year, of the parks we saw, Badlands and Arches were probably the most amazing. There's pictures if you click the link in the OP. We met Caladin in Wisconsin and one of the places we rode to together was Arches.

Dude, your making a big mistake by not going South first to Key West, then to Houston, then to San Diego, up the coast to Seattle, on to Prudhoe Bay, back through the Great White North, and Toronto, to Bangor Maine.

But you have a ok route plan, and list so I'm going to steal it and make it mine.

Thanks
:eek:nfloor I have a map of my place to Denali National Park, it's going to be around 10,000 miles, I'll do it one of these years (it's only 3000 miles more than the trip last year), I just want to make sure we have enough time for the trip, I'm thinking it can be done in 3 weeks, but I want to give it 4. Someday! :cheers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts