Sport Bikes banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Did any of you lose the storage space when you installed the undertail. Could someone please take a picture with the passenger seat off so I could see what it looks like?

there should be a picture of the passenger seat space in one of my picture sets.

I still can put the factory tool kit in the space along with a small spray bottle of water and a rag for when I clean my shield on rides.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So you just put the stuff on top of the undertail because thats what it looks like in the picture with the toolkit in it?
Yup you got it. I just use a velcro strap to hold the kit to a piece of the glove box I didn't cut. Just be sure you securley installed the undertail.

I will probably fab up a rubber piece or something to make it a secure glovebox again.

Haven't been workin on my bike latley but, I will thorw up pics when i do modd it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
undetail was from user cruiserbackrest on ebay and the led came from user flyncycle on ebay. They list them all the time.

I would rate it as 5. Cutting the plastic can be a pain but, the worst was all the plastic all over. Make sure you get a bed sheet or towel and cover as much as possible over the back tire/chain or you will be picking plastic off the bike for a while. The dremel would basically spit the hot plastic all over. If you get some cuts right it's not bad at all. I started alot of cuts with the dremel but ended up just using the small hand saw to get a nice neat line. The dremel = cut/melt/bonded back together. lol All in all, well worth the install! I like it!
Are the under tail kit and LED lights separate on most of the ones you have seen? Can you buy the whole integration kit????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone done an LED intergration setup without buying the undertail kit????

I think I might just get the LED lights and cut up my fairing to fit so it protects better from oil/grease/rocks etc

Undertail looks good but just seems to be excessive with all of the cutting...i want it to look nice but the intergration is the most important part

Side note - i doubt these LEDs are SAE/DOT approved hey??? Cops probably love that haha anyone had problems???

·
Rides (A) Naked
325 Posts
I don't have an undertail, but I do have the Clear Alternatives integrated rear. The only issue I see with it being LED's and clear, is that you won't have a plate illumination lamp anymore. Some LEO's see that as a problem. I haven't had an issue, but even then, I got some LED plate bolts from ebay, and installed those for lighting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't have an undertail, but I do have the Clear Alternatives integrated rear. The only issue I see with it being LED's and clear, is that you won't have a plate illumination lamp anymore. Some LEO's see that as a problem. I haven't had an issue, but even then, I got some LED plate bolts from ebay, and installed those for lighting.
I also have the Clear Alternatives integrated tail lights installed. However, I also just installed my Mototek undertail today. It looks good with the included signals & the clear alternatives.

BTW, does anyone with a Mototek undertail know where to wire the LED that serves as the license plate light?

·
5,547 Posts
Yes it has to have a constant power source. The wire is spliced into the one of the tail light bulbs.

Attachments

·
Rides (A) Naked
325 Posts
Yes it has to have a constant power source. The wire is spliced into the one of the tail light bulbs.
IIRC, its the blue wire for + and the black for - .

I just pinned out the wires on the main connector for my LED plate bulbs.

·
Rides (A) Naked
325 Posts
No problem man, looks very nice. Where did you get the Mototek undertail?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Three questions......

Where are y'all getting the rear hugger from? It looks pretty sweet, but I haven't been able to find one. Is it listed under another Kawi model/year?

If the undertail is secured tightly, will I actually lose any "trunkspace"? I saw that soco could still carry his tool kit and water bottle, but I didn't know how secure it was....

The only Mototeck undertail I have been able to find on eBay has the extra integrated amber lights in the plastic itself....since I have the integrated taillight, all i really need is the undertail tray....does Mototeck make that too?

·
5,547 Posts
Three questions......

Where are y'all getting the rear hugger from? It looks pretty sweet, but I haven't been able to find one. Is it listed under another Kawi model/year?

If the under tail is secured tightly, will I actually lose any "trunk space"? I saw that soco could still carry his tool kit and water bottle, but I didn't know how secure it was....

The only Mototeck under tail I have been able to find on eBay has the extra integrated amber lights in the plastic itself....since I have the integrated taillight, all i really need is the under tail tray....does Mototeck make that too?

1. I purchased my Pyramid Carbon Fiber Hugger from Motorcycle Huggers, Rear Huggers, Rear Fenders - REVsPerformance.com

It comes in black also.

ZX6R- 00-02- Black- 07326a- $169
ZX6R 00-02-Carbon Fiber-Part#07325-$275

2. If you cut the stock under tail correctly you don't lose that much space. I have my tool kit, flat tire kit, small spray bottle, micro fiber towel, kick stand pad etc. etc. under my rear seat. If you look at posts 18 and 19 of this thread you will see the pictures of what the stock under tail should look like after cutting it to install a MOTOTECK under tail.

3. I haven't seen a MOTOTECK under tail without lights. What's wrong with an extra set of turn signals? You could splice them into the integrated tail light with no problem. I have four rear turn signals. Two in the MOTOTECK under tail and two amber LED turn signals in my passenger foot pegs. As a matter of fact I even have an extra set of LED brake lights in my passenger foot pegs from www.TripageLED.com

Here's a couple of short clips from 2006 when I did the install.

First clip is brake lights.

LEDs in foot pegs 3 - Putfile.com

Second clip is MOTOTECK turn signals and turn signals in foot pegs.

LEDs in foot pegs 4 - Putfile.com

As all of you may already know, MOTOTECK was sold to Rack in Motion

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. Anyway, I just installed my undertail kit last week and was wondering how big of a problem you guys have found road debri flying up from the tire to be? Would you guys strongly recommend a hugger? Also, I couldnt find the one for the 05 ZZR600 on the link ZZRocket posted.

here are some pics...
Not sure how I feel about the side mounted plate but would love some input.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
5,547 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. Anyway, I just installed my under tail kit last week and was wondering how big of a problem you guys have found road debris flying up from the tire to be? Would you guys strongly recommend a hugger? Also, I couldn't find the one for the 05 ZZR600 on the link ZZRocket posted.

here are some pics...
Not sure how I feel about the side mounted plate but would love some input.

Thanks!
"Also, I couldn't find the one for the 05 ZZR600 on the link ZZRocket posted."

Want to know why you can't find one for a 2005-2008 ZZR600? Well first of all you need to have some knowledge and understanding that your 2005 ZZR600 is really a 2000-2002 ZX6R "J" model. The bike was brought back in 2005 and re-badged as the ZZR600. Your 2005 ZZR600 is a ZX600 "J" model. So with that said, for the most part, you need to search for after market parts for a 2000-2002 ZX6R "J" model, they fit the 2005-2008 ZZR600.

That's why I posted this info. The hugger that I have is the carbon fiber one for the 00-02 ZX6R part# 07325. Fits like a dream. After removing the stock chain guard, the two holes line up exactly, and after removing the screw for the stock brake line guide and replacing it with the stainless steel allen bolt provided with the hugger, it too lines up perfectly. I hope this information helps you out. You can always refer to my signature for future reference.

ZX6R- 00-02- Black- 07326a- $169
ZX6R 00-02-Carbon Fiber-Part#07325-$275

Here's the latest list of items I have installed on my 2006 ZZR600. All of the parts I have listed will fit a 2005-2008 ZZR600 or a 2000-2002 ZX6R.

The parts in red were purchased to fit a 00-02 ZX6R "J" model.

1) One shim under each main jet needle
2 Carbon Fiber Front Fender
3) Cox Racing Radiator Grill
4) Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines(front and rear)
5) Green Light Traffic Light Tr*****
6) Mototeck flushline front turn signals with amber LED's and clear lenses
7) Sylvania Silverstar 9003 S/T headlight bulbs(same fit as H-4 type)
8) Xeon Blue brighter white center running light bulb
9) SW-MOTECH Mirror Extenders
10) MRA Vario Touring Screen Limited Production, #1 in the world on my bike.
11) Techmount Faring Mount for Cobra Radar Detector
12) RAM STEM BALL mount with 3" Standard Arm for Ball/GPS Cradle
13) TomTom ONE 3rd Edition GPS(hardwired to fuse box)
14) D.C. 12 Volt Cigarette Style Socket
15) Carbon Fiber Gauge Bezel Cover
16) Carbon Fiber Triple Tree Cover
17) PAZZO RACING shorty Brake and Clutch Levers
18) Grip Puppies from California Sport Touring.com
19) 13.9 oz Stainless Steel bar ends from HVMP.com
20) Throttle Rocker
21) R&G Racing Frames Sliders
22) Redline Water Wetter in Coolant
23) Mobil 1 Racing 4T Full Synthetic 10W40 Oil
24) K&N KN-204 Oil Filter
25) K&N KN-6098 Air Filter
26) Modified MagKnight Magnetic Tank Protector in Carbon Fiber
27) ProGrip Carbon Fiber Tank Protector
28) LUI MOTO Carbon Fiber Seat Covers(front and rear seats)
29) Tribo Seat Cover for passenger seat
30) Pyramid Paint Matched Solo Seat Cowl
31) Chrome Brake Reservoir covers(front and rear reservoirs)
32) Billet Aluminum Oil Cap with Kawasaki "K"
33) Carbon Fiber Pyramid Rear Fender/Hugger with integrated chain guard
34) Gorilla Cycle Alarm mount under passenger seat
35) LED Brake lights and turn in passenger foot pegs from tripageled.com
36) MOTOTECK Paint Matched under tail with Amber LED's & Clear Lenses
37) Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame
38) LED Brake Light Bulbs
39) Billet Aluminum Swing Arm/Sliders
40) Yoshimura RS-3 Stainless Steel Exhaust with Race Baffles
41) Conti Sport Attack on the front and Conti Road Attack on the rear
42) 2007 Factory "ZZR600" decals on front cowling
43) Galfer HH Sintered Advanced Ceramic composite front brake pads and Galfer Semi-metallic(black) compound rear brake pads, ZZR600 specific part number
44) R&G Racing Fork Sliders
45) Factory Pro 4 degree Ignition Advancer
46) R&G Toe Guard
47) Galfer Wave Rotors front and rear, ZZR600 specific part number

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same undertail kit, found it on eBay sold by cruiserbackrest. That is actually the username of Bestem Powersports in Georgia. The first bidding price on eBay is the same as the price on their web site. So, I would recommend buying from their web site directly to avoid possible bidding.

They claim that their bright LEDs, innovative license plate mounting brackets, and superior instructions set them apart from other dealers. However, none of that came with the the undertail. All you get is the plastic undertail tray. Also, the instructions and license plate mounting brackets didn't come with my delivery. I called the company to let them know and they promised to get them out to me. However, the only thing they sent in the second package was two small L brackets. You could find those at any hardware store for $.25, and four plastic fasteners. All in all, I can't complain about the tray for the price. But that's all you're really getting for $69.95.

UPDATE: You know what, I was naive. I should have complained. It was poor-fitting, cheap plastic that probably cost pennies to mold. The undertail cracked and I arrived at work with my license plate dangling by the signal wires over my wheel.

Excellent job with the pics and description of the job.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Great thread...I'll be installing my undertail in the next week or two, this thread will come in handy! I also have a Puig CF hugger on it's way. Man, what a PITA to find one of those.....apparently as rare as hen's teeth! But I *finally* found one in Germany and it's on it's way here...just cleared Customs!

I'm also debating getting the Clear Alternatives tail/signal kit. I have a set of LP Turn 6 flushmounts for the front and Competition Werkes Assimilator that will integrate the signals into the OEM red taillights, but I'm wondering as to daytime visibility versus LEDs...

·
Registered
306 Posts
a few 15 sec clips of the new led intergrated light I got. Its a lockhart phillps unit #400-5150. was a eazy install and its a really good looking unit. its bright. Im debating if i want to get the load balancer or not, i think the fast blink get peoples attention.
movie
movie
movie
movie

lights off

running lights on (key on)

Brake lights on

61 - 80 of 99 Posts