Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can only do 5 images each post so replies will follow install.

So, the weather wasn't as nice today as yesterday. After sleeping in when I woke up decided to do the undertail and taillight.

Tools Used:

Dremel w/ Circular reinforced blades
Small Hand Saw (drywall saw but smaller teeth)
Rubber Electrical Tape
Utility razor blade or sandpaper

*if this is a new bike that has the Velcro strap in the trunk space save it. It will come in handy at the end.

Undetail and Tail -light

A few Stock pics before the mess begin.

Ok well time to dive in and cut away. Here is the first rough cut.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dremel does melt the plastic quick but after it hardens you can just use a razor blade or sand paper to clean up edges. Here is a shot cleaned up.

Here you can see also the connections made to the Clear Integrated LED Tail. Now the company says it fits perfect no mods needed, WRONG!!!

Coming from the bike there is a harness for each blinker. Each harness holds 2 wires. 1 hot one ground. I spliced the hot and connected each side with the one from the LED. They had a yellow and blue line coming from the LED taillight. There where no instructions on which wire were what. So I just tested each. End Result, I put the blue wire to the green wire for the left side and yellow with gray on the right side. I used the rubber electrical tape to cap off each harness coming from the blinkers. I will be adding a resistor soon to slow the blink rate.

Here is an upper shot looking down at tail from top all chopped up

What’s left of the stock fender

Now I put the tail fairing back on the bike along with everything else. Just finger tighten all the bolts in place as well. I then put the undertail in the bike starting with the right side. Once the right side fit in I had to push up the rest of the undertail and pull apart the tail faring to squeeze it in. When I cut the old fender I cut as little as possible to try and snug in the undertail. Here is the test fit shot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure it’s all straight and looks pretty then tighten everything up. As you tighten all the rear fairing bolts it should tighten in the undertail.

Now I was going to mount my plate behind the battery right under the undertail but, time was of the essence, needed to finish stuff up around the house. I will probably change my plate back under the undertail but, I will have to re wire a running light down there so the cops don't bother me at night

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here is why you save the Velcro strap! Gotta have the tool kit!

:cheers

·
Registered
197 Posts
Very nice! Which undertail kit and light is that? My wife has been looking all over for a nice kit for her ZZR. That cutting scares the hell out of me. How difficult would you rate the job on a scale of 1 to 10?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice! Which undertail kit and light is that? My wife has been looking all over for a nice kit for her ZZR. That cutting scares the hell out of me. How difficult would you rate the job on a scale of 1 to 10?
undetail was from user cruiserbackrest on ebay and the led came from user flyncycle on ebay. They list them all the time.

I would rate it as 5. Cutting the plastic can be a pain but, the worst was all the plastic all over. Make sure you get a bed sheet or towel and cover as much as possible over the back tire/chain or you will be picking plastic off the bike for a while. The dremel would basically spit the hot plastic all over. If you get some cuts right it's not bad at all. I started alot of cuts with the dremel but ended up just using the small hand saw to get a nice neat line. The dremel = cut/melt/bonded back together. lol All in all, well worth the install! I like it!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
How bright is the LED tail compared to the stock? I like the clean look, but do not want to sacrifice visibility.

·
Registered
197 Posts
A couple of additonal questions. I can see you cut the bottom of the truck out, but when you put the undertail kit in, does it provide a trunk for lightweight stuff or could you somehow fashion one easily?

I like the tag where you have it in the photo. Does the undertail provide for the tag being places here by design or did you fabricate that yourself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of additonal questions. I can see you cut the bottom of the truck out, but when you put the undertail kit in, does it provide a trunk for lightweight stuff or could you somehow fashion one easily?

I like the tag where you have it in the photo. Does the undertail provide for the tag being places here by design or did you fabricate that yourself?

Thanks.
Ya, as you can see in the last pic i was able to fit in the tool kit. When I relocate the tag behind the battery box I will probably fab something up so i can stick more stuff in the trunk.

Used 2 L brackets and put 2 holes in the undertail to mount the L brackets for the plate. I'm going to relocate the plate behind battery box once I re wire a running light above the plate so I don't get messed with by the cops. You know they always pull us over for some small bs!

P.S. I just ordered a tire hugger because the undertail collects alot of dirt/grease! I can only see the paint chipping soon!

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's cool. I was wondering about this thing not having a hugger and throwing up stuff up into it. So that is a problem. I need to go look at that also I guess. Where did you order yours from?

Edit: Well, I went ahead and ordered the undertail tonight and a hugger. What tail light do you have? I thought it was a clear alternative, but their integrated has a yellow and red look to it. They have one that looks just like yours, but I don't think theirs is integrated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's cool. I was wondering about this thing not having a hugger and throwing up stuff up into it. So that is a problem. I need to go look at that also I guess. Where did you order yours from?

Thanks!
i bought my hugger off ebay, hasn't come in yet should be here this week sometime. Once i get it installed i'll shoot some pics and post them up.

I personally like to keep my bike clean and try not to ride in the rain or get stuck in the rain. Also having to clean all the grease and dirt off the hugger would be a everyday job so it doesnt build up.

I've seen 2 different huggers on ebay. One is 95 bucks and the other is 135. I went with the more expensive one just because it looks like it will catch more crap being kicked up from the tire(covers more of the rear tire). The cheaper one is shorter which would probably catch less dirt and stuff(covers less of the rear tire).

the ebay seller is superbikestore_llc of the one i bought. Check it out!

the taillight is eBay Motors: LED REAR TAIL LIGHT ZX-9R ZX9R ZX-6R ZX6R ZZR600 ZR7 6R (item 190218461563 end time May-05-08 15:51:53 PDT)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Looks like we got the same hugger. I bought a Clear Alternative light today. It looks just like the one in the link with red and amber leds. I think we are going to have the same setup when we are done. I hope I do as good a job as you did with yours. Thanks for the info and I'll be checking out your pictures on here where I start doing surgery.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like we got the same hugger. I bought a Clear Alternative light today. It looks just like the one in the link with red and amber leds. I think we are going to have the same setup when we are done. I hope I do as good a job as you did with yours. Thanks for the info and I'll be checking out your pictures on here where I start doing surgery.
amazingly how common our bikes are and how long the style has been around i searched for a long time trying to find something like I posted with pictures. I always just found the hotbodies install page with the dotted lines to cut. Usefull but always nicer to see more pictures of the install. That's why I put this together so people can use it as a reference!

This should be a sticky! :)

Enjoy the pics and yes our bikes will be very identical now. I will addd the hugger pics on this thread once it comes in. Hopefully it will be here today! To bad you don't live closer to NY I'd say rider her on over and lets cut it up!!!

Good Luck, also when cutting , cut as little as possible because you can always trim. Cut too much and you can't put it back! Well you can but will be a pain! Post up some pics I'd like to see the install when complete!

·
5,547 Posts
amazingly how common our bikes are and how long the style has been around i searched for a long time trying to find something like I posted with pictures. I always just found the hotbodies install page with the dotted lines to cut. Usefull but always nicer to see more pictures of the install. That's why I put this together so people can use it as a reference!

This should be a sticky! :)

Enjoy the pics and yes our bikes will be very identical now. I will addd the hugger pics on this thread once it comes in. Hopefully it will be here today! To bad you don't live closer to NY I'd say rider her on over and lets cut it up!!!

Good Luck, also when cutting , cut as little as possible because you can always trim. Cut too much and you can't put it back! Well you can but will be a pain! Post up some pics I'd like to see the install when complete!
The Mototeck under tail is very similar in design to the Hotbodies under tail. I posted these pictures somewhere in another thread but here they are again. I think there a good reference as to how the stock fender should look after it has been cut for installation of the under tail.

Attachments

·
5,547 Posts
More pics

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More pics
should of put them in a sticky, undertail mod is so common. Like i said i searched all over. I must of missed thouse because wehn i first signed up on the site i searched everythread.... IT job , ya when shit runs im bored...

anyway. Thanks for those! You where too late for me though!!! :p

P.S. wife just called me, hugger is at the house. easy 1,2,3 install when i get home and i will throw up pics for you unforgiven!

thanks zzrocket

1 - 20 of 99 Posts