Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wallowing around on all of the forums and talking to dealerships that have no clue of an answer for me...im coming back here in hopes you ZZR riders can provide some input.

2007 ZZR600, I purchased a year ago with 1400 miles, previous owner installed a 14t/42t sprocket setup. He died, so I cannot get any answers from him.

I purchased Sunstar OEM like sprockets to install because I do a lot of highway riding. 15t/40t. Rear sprocket no issues, front sprocket I have confirmed is correct OEM replacement Sunstar 423 model number 42315.

BUT, I have gotten word that the 14t sprocket installed from the previous owner is in fact for the 636 kawasakis...therefore they are completely different styles. Now, my question is...what is the correct order these parts need to go on. If you look at the picture that I provided of the countershaft, it shows a spacer up against/in the seal. I pulled on it and it does not budge. Is this spacer supposed to stay in there? Or was this added with the aftermarket 14t sprocket and needs to come out?

here is my most useful thread on kawiforums
2007 ZZr 600 Front Sprocket : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

Top Left: No sprocket, showing spacer/seal
Top Right: Holding Sunstar OEM 15t, (one sided neck), 14t sprocket on floor
Middle Left: 15t sprocket on output shaft with washer barely able to sit on shaft
Middle Right: 14t supposed wrong sprocket on output shaft, washer has a little more room to sit on shaft
Bottom Left: 14t sprocket showing even neck on both sides

Attachments

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Just how you have it shown is how it goes in.
Larger shouldered side towards the engine, then the lock washer then the nut, fold over the lock washer

What you are calling a spacer in your pic is a collar that goes over the output shaft and rides inside the seal.

There is very little space for the lock washer to hook onto the teeth, so appears to me you have everything. Are you with 525 pitch on one and 520 with the other? Or is it simply the lack of proper back spacing from the large shoulder?

Install it all and then look down the chain and make sure the sprockets align and chain is straight if/since you are second guessing it.

Definately the equal shouldered sprocket is off later years ZX6R or even a Zx10 etc...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just how you have it shown is how it goes in.
Larger shouldered side towards the engine, then the lock washer then the nut, fold over the lock washer

What you are calling a spacer in your pic is a collar that goes over the output shaft and rides inside the seal.

There is very little space for the lock washer to hook onto the teeth, so appears to me you have everything. Are you with 525 pitch on one and 520 with the other? Or is it simply the lack of proper back spacing from the large shoulder?

Install it all and then look down the chain and make sure the sprockets align and chain is straight if/since you are second guessing it.

Definately the equal shouldered sprocket is off later years ZX6R or even a Zx10 etc...

thank you very much, pretty much all i needed to hear was that spacer looking thing needed to stay there and that the teethed washer had very little room on the edge of the splines. I just was not 100% sure being that the aftermarket sprocket was wrong to begin with and I have never seen the bike in its stock setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts