Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the new 07s are going to be coming in? I would rather ask you than deal with the "oh, hey there Jay let me rape you
for your phone number so I can check my 'dealer lot' and call you right back!!"

One Fugly bike but I think I am going to love it. I just need to add duct tape, engine cage, a pipe and some good scrapes and gouges to make 'er pretty! I rode the 919, Bandit 1200, Tuomo, and have no interest. The FZ1 is not comfortable for me to sit on... tank too wide pegs too far back. I think the Z will be the bike and I will have to break my long standing Honda streak. I will of course keep the F4i!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own an '03 Z1k... Love it.

I was anticipating the new Z, had considered trading mine in. But Kawasaki didn't come out with the Z I was hoping for...

1) The mill is the same, they actually fitted smaller valves & milder cams to broaden the torque range.

2) Suspension is still not fully adjustable. So buyers that want a sport naked & bit more on the sport side, may have to still get the suspension reworked.

3) Aluminum Frame & it is still just as heavy... WTF???

4) Some people didn't mind the old exhaust, but the new look hideous! And those readiator covers are too big... the bike looks too cluttered.

If you are up for some advice... there are plenty of left over stock Z1000 if you look around. They show up on the cycle trader online all the time. Pick yourself a new old stock with warranty & use the 2-3k you saved to upgrade it's suspension, new exhaust, frame sliders... etc...

my .02

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^^^ good advice, i got my 2004 Z this June for 6k plus all the extras, i do love this bike.

compared to the supersports, you will be scraping pegs alot sooner, ive done it twice, and just about crapped my pants both times. i would get am rearsets, but i like the comfort of the current positions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What do you weigh? The reason you are draggin pegs sooner is that the suspension is too plush... you might want to siffen the rear some...

I went with ZX636 suspension front & rear & draggin anything in the bends now only happens when riding 2up...

I did end up getting rearsets to save more weight since the stockers are ugly & one side is heavier than a complete aftermarket set...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told recently "Sometime between March and May". Uggh. Still no word out on the specs of the bike either. I didn't realize how far the Tuono had come in the last three years so I am also reconsidering that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tunos, Speed Tripples are bit pricey... but killer nakeds. So is the S4R.

Buy a used or left over Z man... do the 636 suspension conversion & you'll have a fast great handling naked... I did... it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
racerraul said:
What do you weigh? The reason you are draggin pegs sooner is that the suspension is too plush... you might want to siffen the rear some...

thanks for the info. I am planning on doing that next year, somewhere between getting married and buying a house :3eek :chair :brick

Both times(left side) it happened i wasn't hanging off much, and i wasn't expecting it either. it really shocked me, almost enough to make me run off, but i was able to hang on and save it. i weigh somewhere between 180 and 200, probly 185 at the time it happened. i did increase the dampening on both front/back when i bought the bike, as much as i could for the city riding i do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
07 Z1000

What a disappointment? I have been waiting for the 07 Z1000 because I thought it was based on the ZX10R 1st generation engine and nothing to do with the old zx9 engine. I have rode the early Z1000 and your bikes lack the power I am used to (naked Street Fighter look ZRX 1224 Muzzy Kitted). I know I read somewhere on another sight that the 07 was the full 999cc. I hope those specsyou sent me to are wrong or I will buy the 1050 Speed Triple. I had an 03 Tuono. Nice bike but had an electrical gremlin and power was lacking compared to my ZREX. The 07 Z1000 looks even wilder than the new Tuono's.(IMHO)Okay let the bullets fly:eatpop
Jamboa

·
Registered
39 Posts
the triple is fine bike... go for it. it by no means is much faster than my z in a straight line, so it may well be still less power than you're used to.

A with a pc3, full exh, dyno tuned properly puts down about 135+ hp to the rear tire... rear sets & exh take off about 20+ lbs of weight... add the 636 suspension mods and the carves corners even better. all this under the 10k a trple commands... thats why i got the z... and it handles as good if not better than a zxr goes fast in a chicken strp contest...

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just wanted to say that I'm insanely jealous of you Z1000 owners, gotta be one of the sexist bikes that no one rides. I think I've only ever seen one on the street, and that was a different state :(

I'm hoping to add that to the stable in a few years as the next bike, I can't believe they only sell for like $4.5k on ebay and shit for ones in great shape. Nuts!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
racerraul said:

I went with ZX636 suspension front & rear & draggin anything in the bends now only happens when riding 2up...

i put the 636 rear shock on, set the rear sag, now the front end is really screaming at me to do the swap.

i haven't hit any good twisties but the rear is much more planted. a little rough in the city, but worth it.

now what i am trying to figure out is how to get my front sag set right. i measured it and it is like 10-15mm, which is too stiff. i haven't checked where i am at with the preload yet, but im hoping i can get the new forks in b4 i spend any more time on these.

636 swap FTW :phatyo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, you guys are really hardcore, it's impressive. I ride a stock bike...I do major tweaking of my off road stuff though, in my modest shop. Anyway, again, anyone know when the new z1000 is going to be on the showroom floor? Also, I have a nice Oregon registered 02 F4i with low mi and I want to sell it... but it's stuck in CA if y'all know that BS story (yes less than "7000 miles"). Anyone passing through CenCal wants to pick it up on their way home to a better state I'll cutcha a dealie wheelie.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other thing...is it really an aluminum frame? I would bet it isn't but dunno. I see 458 lbs advertised as weight which is porky. The styling is so off beat it's hard to guess how the bike would feel to ride ergo-wise. I just don't fit right on an FZ1 for example (narrower more relaxed FZ6 I fit fine). The Tunono I fit but wanted something just a red hair more upright.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Jdog said:
Wow, you guys are really hardcore, it's impressive. I ride a stock bike...I do major tweaking of my off road stuff though, in my modest shop.

check out riderforums.com

they have a whole section just for the Z's. So many mods going on there I can barely pay rent. lots of great pics of the Z's too.

·
It's me
3,066 Posts
climb21cj said:
check out riderforums.com

they have a whole section just for the Z's. So many mods going on there I can barely pay rent. lots of great pics of the Z's too.
+1:banana

Ron

·
Registered
12 Posts
07 Z1000

Well it looks like all the Z1000 is getting is a retuned 953 motor. I am now looking hard at the new Tiger 1050cc with low end torque, better suspension, more usable for sport touring and 4 colors to chose from. Kawa you could have sold me another but you dropped the ball.

·
Registered
39 Posts
jamboa said:
Well it looks like all the Z1000 is getting is a retuned 953 motor. I am now looking hard at the new Tiger 1050cc with low end torque, better suspension, more usable for sport touring and 4 colors to chose from. Kawa you could have sold me another but you dropped the ball.
If you were looking for a Z alternative the Triple would be my pic...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts