Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could please help me out. I bought an LED Tail Light Board (just the Lights) from Clear Alternatives. I was told by CA that it would fit in my OEM Tail Light Cover (which I am sure it will).

The problem is, I don't know how to do the installation. I took the Seat off and removed the 2 Screws there that were holding the Tail Light Cover on, but then I couldn't pop the Tail Light Cover out the back. I gingerly tried for 20 minutes to pop it out. I looked but did not see anything that would potentially be holding it back. I looked on the Internet (and I thought I looked pretty hard) and to my surprise, I could not find anywhere a post or instructions on how to get the Tail Light Cover out.

Is there something I am missing here? Do I need to take apart more of the bike in order to get the Tail Light Cover out? If so, what parts? Also, can you disassemble the Tail Light Cover? I am assuming it comes apart (once you get it out) because how else would you be able to place the LED Board in there? And, do you need to secure the LED Board in the Tail Light Cover somehow or did CA manufacture it so it fits in the snugly?

Thank you all very much, in advance, for all of your time and help. I appreciate it very much. :bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

·
IM A DAD
1,627 Posts
lets see, seat, grabrails, side covers all must come off if i rember correct.
taillight cover is seperate form the rest.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think your going to want to do like Petshopboy said. It is pretty easy and shouldnt take more than 10 or 15 minute to remove these things, trying to wiggle the part out is to risky that you will break something.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
When I did mine it was a friggin pain.
I must have done it wrong(lol)

I wiggled the brake light lense out of the tail section.
It felt like it was gonna break... so I got a hair dryer and put some heat on it.

I guess I'm a lil stoopid sometimes, but I make up for it by being stubborn.
:bitchslap

If I had it to do all over again, i'd look for another way.:boink

·
Beware the drop bears
480 Posts
Mine gave me grief too.
Had to really wiggle the thing and try some funny angles , came out eventually but took about half an hour.

·
Keep It Kosher
1,038 Posts
Subscribed to see pictures of the process when you get it done and for the final product. I'd like to see how this looks in the OEM housing.

·
So much cooler online
2,240 Posts
+1 on taking the tail section off. It only takes an additional 10 min, but it saves 20 overall. I was really happy with how it turned out, I kindof miss the led taillight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm doing my Clear Alternatives tail light conversion this weekend...I'll let you know how it goes.
One Track,

If you could take pictures and/or let me know what parts you took off, that would be great! :banana

lets see, seat, grabrails, side covers all must come off if i rember correct.
Any instructions on how to take these parts off? I looked for pieces that might be able to come off and I found 2 screws that held on the Black Plastic piece that comes around and goes directly underneath the Tail Light. I unscrewed those, but then that piece seemed to be glued to the Grabrails piece. How and where are the screws to take those off?

Thanks again for all of your help so far! I really appreciate it.

Dan Z.

·
Registered
301 Posts
One Track,

If you could take pictures and/or let me know what parts you took off, that would be great! :banana
Dan Z.
Will do...Removing the parts from the rear of the bike is quite easy, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo sequence that shows the parts removal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It's a pain in the butt to get the brake light assy out. Remove the entire tail piece, (4 big bolts, two smaller ones in the front of the black plastic), then turn the entire thing upside down on a bench, remove the two phillips screws that hold the brake light assy in place, then you sort of have to wiggle and pry a bit to get the back out.

Dumb design with the back of the light tapered larger than the front. The whole assembly should have been designed to remove strait from the back w/o any other assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts