Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am 16 and surprisingly enough my parents are ok with me getting a motorcycle as long as I pay for it. I have about $5000 Saved up from over the years and I want to ride to school and maybe some longer distance riding. The Yamaha fz6 seems to fit my intended purpose and my budget. My question is, is the fz6 to big or powerful for a first bike? I consider myself to be a responsible careful person. Thanks

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
My first thought is no. It goes fast, turns fast and stops fast. Something like an S40 which goes slow, turns slow and stops slow is a better starter bike.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and all of the gear is also suggested. Bare minimum is full face helmet, leather jacket with armor, gauntlet gloves and tall leather boots that lace up. It's a very steep learning curve, low shoes/short gloves get pulled off when meeting the ground and ankles need protection. I wear all the gear and when I go down I get up and get a repaired or new bike rather than go to the hospital.
You're reaction time will increase as you practice the basic skills and they become second nature. Buy a used slow bike for a couple grand, ride it for a year learning operation and maintenance and if you're enjoying it, buy whatever you want new or used.
You have the funds to do it right.

·
Diver Down
809 Posts
My first thought is no. It goes fast, turns fast and stops fast. Something like an S40 which goes slow, turns slow and stops slow is a better starter bike.
Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and all of the gear is also suggested. Bare minimum is full face helmet, leather jacket with armor, gauntlet gloves and tall leather boots that lace up. It's a very steep learning curve, low shoes/short gloves get pulled off when meeting the ground and ankles need protection. I wear all the gear and when I go down I get up and get a repaired or new bike rather than go to the hospital.
You're reaction time will increase as you practice the basic skills and they become second nature. Buy a used slow bike for a couple grand, ride it for a year learning operation and maintenance and if you're enjoying it, buy whatever you want new or used.
You have the funds to do it right.
I agree. Very good advice for someone at your age just starting. My state requires MSF for a license, but required or not, every new rider needs that. I own an FZ6 and its a great bike, but very powerful for a 16 yr old with no experience. You have plenty of time to build your skills then upgrade when you are really ready.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,588 Posts
if you like the sportbikes don't go with a suzuki s40. in my opinion it's a terrible style of bike and I can't ride one longer than 30 mins. I find the feet out front seating position to be highly uncomfortable. plus cruisers are awful at handling, turning and braking. they will wallow through corners, have no suspension damping it seems like when going over dips making it bottom out. they're just awful. you really don't want a bike that wallows like they do mid corner while learning how to ride. it feels like you ran through sand. they're the worst bike's I've ever thrown a leg over. and I have to test ride bikes at my job after working on them. so I've rode a lot of styles and they're something I wouldn't ever own.

a good bike to start on is something like a dual sport or old school cafe racer style of a bike. older ninja 250 etc. something that sits like the FZ6 but without the high power. I think you'll be happier. I know I would.

hell check these out, you already have enough to buy a brand new one. which isn't the best idea either since youll probably end up dropping it etc. we all did. https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-heritage/models/sr400

1 - 6 of 6 Posts